Opinion on early interviews and sending reminder letters before LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trauma325

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll. I interviewed early in November to a couple of my top choice programs. Now it seems like a very long time ago-I sent my thank you letters mid December to space the time out but as the LOR closing date draws near, I am just wondering if I should send a short note about ranking them high without specifying the rank and wishing them the best? I sure would like to hear from those of you who have been there/done that. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you interviewed back in early November, I think it is perfectly appropriate to send one last note to your top one or two programs before ROLs are finalized. After all, they must have been among the first programs you visited, so letting them know that they are your top choices after having completed all your interviews seems like a legitimate reason to contact them.

I know aProgDirector has often said on these discussion boards that such letters have little, if any, effect on programs' ranking decisions. But as long as you keep your communication brief, professional, and positive, I don't see how it can hurt. Plus, I was told by a resident at one program that their program takes into account applicants' perceived interest level at their ranking meetings--as evidenced by post-interview communication. So it seems that, like many other things, it is program-dependent.

Hi ya'll. I interviewed early in November to a couple of my top choice programs. Now it seems like a very long time ago-I sent my thank you letters mid December to space the time out but as the LOR closing date draws near, I am just wondering if I should send a short note about ranking them high without specifying the rank and wishing them the best? I sure would like to hear from those of you who have been there/done that. Thanks.

Actually, I think that's a very good idea. If you follow up with programs, they will be more likely to at least remember you. Its still uncertain if letting a program know they're your top choice will get you ranked higher. I think, though, programs will be more likely to rank applicants who are obviously interested.

Yes write to them and tell them why you like the program.

I just wanted to leave a quick thanks for the posted replies!:)

go ahead and write, but by this point i'd be surprised if too many programs haven't completed their own rank lists.