opinion on fall semester classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pballer66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need some advice on this falls classes. Currently I'm signed up for 15 hours, 18 is cut-off unless you can get some more approved. Currently im taking: qualatative and instrumental analysis, qualatative and instrumental analysis lab ( lab is 2 nights a week 6-9 on Monday and Wednesday), Spanish 3, Mathematical Statistics (heard its a fairly difficult class), Intro to Classis ( need some humanities gen ed), and Intro to chemical literature ( writing intensive, heard its read a paper write a paper ). Heres where I need an opinion. My advisor thinks adding BioChem would be an ok decision. Which also would need a lab. The lab is also 3 hours long and the class is 2 days a week, with each day being Tuesday and Thursday. So I'd have Intro to classics from 1230 to 145 stats 2 to 315 and bio chem 4-5 on Tuesday and then by adding the lab I'd have the same as Tuesdays just Id have a lab from 6-9. And just to throw another option in, I could wait and take the lab in the spring after I would take biochem this fall. I've debated on this for about 2 weeks now and just would like some feedback. Thank you very much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

pballer66 said:
Hi everyone, I need some advice on this falls classes. Currently I'm signed up for 15 hours, 18 is cut-off unless you can get some more approved. Currently im taking: qualatative and instrumental analysis, qualatative and instrumental analysis lab ( lab is 2 nights a week 6-9 on Monday and Wednesday), Spanish 3, Mathematical Statistics (heard its a fairly difficult class), Intro to Classis ( need some humanities gen ed), and Intro to chemical literature ( writing intensive, heard its read a paper write a paper ). Heres where I need an opinion. My advisor thinks adding BioChem would be an ok decision. Which also would need a lab. The lab is also 3 hours long and the class is 2 days a week, with each day being Tuesday and Thursday. So I'd have Intro to classics from 1230 to 145 stats 2 to 315 and bio chem 4-5 on Tuesday and then by adding the lab I'd have the same as Tuesdays just Id have a lab from 6-9. And just to throw another option in, I could wait and take the lab in the spring after I would take biochem this fall. I've debated on this for about 2 weeks now and just would like some feedback. Thank you very much for your help.

whats up with all the 6-9 labs

is your chem lit. a 3 crediter?

pballer66 said:

you're screwed... might as well drop out of college and forget about medical school

Members don't see this ad :)
pballer66 said:
Well, biochem is supposed to be pretty hard, so I'm not sure you should add it without dropping another course, your schedule seems a bit intensive to me. Doable I suppose, but not preferable. Maybe hold off on chem lit?

pballer66 said:

Are you dedicated to many EC's this fall? If not, I would just take it.

Not sure why Im doing labs that late, just kinda seem to have lots of classes during the day. As for EC's I'll be possibly taking EMT-I class this fall which will meet 2 nights a week from 6 to 10. Also I volunteer with a rescue squad for 48 hours a month, no biggie really, usually do 2 weekends with 24 hour shifts. Maybe doing an shadowing program as well. Also chem lit is just a one hour course its a Friday 1-150 course.

pballer66 said:
Not sure why Im doing labs that late, just kinda seem to have lots of classes during the day. As for EC's I'll be possibly taking EMT-I class this fall which will meet 2 nights a week from 6 to 10. Also I volunteer with a rescue squad for 48 hours a month, no biggie really, usually do 2 weekends with 24 hour shifts. Maybe doing an shadowing program as well. Also chem lit is just a one hour course its a Friday 1-150 course.

im guessing youre a chem major?

do you need the statistics for that?

Im a chem and math major.

pballer66 said:
Mathematical Statistics (heard its a fairly difficult class)

If your Math Stat is like mine (Calc 3 pre-req), it won't be too bad. It's sort of like physics in that the math isn't too difficult, you just have a crap load of formulae and you have to know when to use what. From there it was a lot of plug and chug. I don't remember being asked to write proofs for any of the statistical theories or anything crazy like that. You should be fine.

Umm not sure if its a calc 3 pre-rep im sure its a calc 2 one though. Its probably the same class.

pballer66 said:
Umm not sure if its a calc 3 pre-rep im sure its a calc 2 one though. Its probably the same class.

whats considered calc 3 at your school, multivariable calculus or differential equations?

taylormade44 said:
whats considered calc 3 at your school, multivariable calculus or differential equations?

multivariable is our calc 3....diffeq is its own class, mainly calc 4

taylormade44 said:
yeah thats the way it is at my school too

but your multivariable requires a statistics course as a prereq?

nah ive taken multivariable already and ive taken linear algebra...this just happens to be next.

Oh...well this is where life gets tough being a double-major premed where one of the majors is very distantly related to medicine

is the spanish class required?

If you've already taken p-chem, mathematical statistics will probably be pretty easy. Even without that, it isn't too difficult of a concept.

austinap said:
If you've already taken p-chem, mathematical statistics will probably be pretty easy. Even without that, it isn't too difficult of a concept.

sigh...no p-chem yet lol. I take it this coming spring.

pballer66 said:
sigh...no p-chem yet lol. I take it this coming spring.

Well, then p-chem will be easy for you (depending on how your specific course is taught). Statistical thermodynamics is the basis for most p-chem, so they're pretty complementary topics.