Opinion on my schedule (summer '11 - '12 spring)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summer 2011-7 hours
Anatomy I w/ lab
Stat

Fall 2011- 18 hours

Gen Chem II w/ lab
Anatomy II w/ lab
Cal I
Advanced grammar
Philosophy (E)

Spring 2012 16 hours

O Chem I w/ lab
Micro w/ lab
Computer Science (Required for bio degree)
Economics (E)
General Bio II Lab only (already took the class)

And then I plan on taking the PCAT after spring 2012. Do you think I'll be ready as for as my classes go? My fall and summer is pretty much set in stone but spring 2012 is just preliminary
What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Summer 2011-7 hours
Anatomy I w/ lab
Stat

Fall 2011- 18 hours

Gen Chem II w/ lab
Anatomy II w/ lab
Cal I
Advanced grammar
Philosophy (E)

Spring 2012 16 hours

O Chem I w/ lab
Micro w/ lab
Economics (E)

And then I plan on taking the PCAT after spring 2012. Do you think I'll be ready as for as my classes go? My fall and summer is pretty much set in stone but spring 2012 is just preliminary
What do you think?

Those are all moderately difficult courses. Taking 5 at once is definitely not going to be easy, expecially if you are working at the same time. If you don't have to work then it's certainly very doable. I worked about 20-25 hours per week while taking 4 classes per semester and I was just a little bit busy to say the least. But if you're motivated, focused, & prepared to not have much of a social life for a little while then I think you'll be alright.

As far as the pcat goes, having all of those classes under your belt should prepare you well for taking the pcat. But I would not rely on your knowledge from the classes alone. You'll definitely want to get some kind of pcat study guide.

Summer 2011-7 hours
Anatomy I w/ lab
Stat

Fall 2011- 18 hours

Gen Chem II w/ lab
Anatomy II w/ lab
Cal I
Advanced grammar
Philosophy (E)

Spring 2012 16 hours

O Chem I w/ lab
Micro w/ lab
Economics (E)

What do you think?

Are you sure you can take O Chem I in the Spring? At my school I is only offered in the Fall and II is only offered in the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer 2011-7 hours
Anatomy I w/ lab
Stat

Fall 2011- 18 hours

Gen Chem II w/ lab
Anatomy II w/ lab
Cal I
Advanced grammar
Philosophy (E)

Spring 2012 16 hours

O Chem I w/ lab
Micro w/ lab
Economics (E)

What do you think?

On the Bio section, you should be fine.

On QA, it may help a bit to have Calc II before taking the PCAT.

On the Chem section, it may help to have O Chem II before taking the PCAT.

On the other two sections, you'll be fine once you get enough practice.

If you want to take the PCAT before having O chem II or Calc II, take the PCAT and see how well you do. Then look at how well you've been doing in your courses, and you can decide for yourself if you think you'll be ready for pharmacy school. If you're not completely sure about when you want to start pharmacy school, consider getting a degree and graduating before starting pharmacy school.

Are you sure you can take O Chem I in the Spring? At my school I is only offered in the Fall and II is only offered in the spring.

Yes O-chem I (and II) is offered every semester in fact. Idk why your school wouldn't. My school is a 4 year state school but it is still relatively small. I think any schools with a chem engineering program should offer both O-chems every semester.

Those are all moderately difficult courses. Taking 5 at once is definitely not going to be easy, expecially if you are working at the same time. If you don't have to work then it's certainly very doable. I worked about 20-25 hours per week while taking 4 classes per semester and I was just a little bit busy to say the least. But if you're motivated, focused, & prepared to not have much of a social life for a little while then I think you'll be alright.

As far as the pcat goes, having all of those classes under your belt should prepare you well for taking the pcat. But I would not rely on your knowledge from the classes alone. You'll definitely want to get some kind of pcat study guide.

Thanks... And THANK GOD I am not working, I got help with finances fortunately. More time to dedicate to school. I plan on taking advantage of the 7 week Christmas break in between fall and spring, and probably using the kaplans guide or dr collins review. Ill have to research to see which ones best..might do both.

I don't know how much has changed since I took the PCAT in '08, but I had just finished pre-calc and was still able to make a 93 on the test. Didn't know anything about calculus. I think the week or so of preparing beforehand was what did it for me.

Granted my math section was the lowest at 64, but just saying it's not exactly going to kill you if you have to push back a class if it becomes too stressful.

Otherwise, good luck on that schedule, it's a doozy!

I can definitely recommend the Dr. Collins Pcat study material. It's very good, albeit quite expensive. You might be able to find a used copy somewhere. It got me a score in the 90's. And yes, there is a good amount of calculus on the Pcat.

Definitely do-able. I remember taking biochemistry and physical chemistry in the same semester along with 20-25 hr/week performing research. That was rough but fortunately you won't have to work. As long as you are driven, you can definitely pull good grades for the next school year! Good luck!

Summer 2011-7 hours
Anatomy I w/ lab
Stat

Fall 2011- 18 hours

Gen Chem II w/ lab
Anatomy II w/ lab
Cal I
Advanced grammar
Philosophy (E)

Spring 2012 16 hours

O Chem I w/ lab
Micro w/ lab
Economics (E)

What do you think?