Opinion on PASS Tapes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabbitsfeet777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school has bought the PASS program review tapes and is showing them for few hours each day. Is this worth my time or am I better off studying first aid and doing qbank? I hear this is buzz word heavy which makes me weary about this? Opinions welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was also wondering about these PASS Program videos and if they were good and/or useful from people who have already taken the Step 1.

I have the vids and I can say that they are pretty high yield and the doc is excellent. I'll let you know after May when I take my boards lol

He makes a ton of great connections. He is very entertaining. the video quality at times is low, you sometimes can't hear a students response to a question. There are several questions I have gotten correct on qbank due to his lectures that I feel I would not have gotten anywhere else. Also some concepts are phenomenal. I am surprised that some videos are so good. The Kaplan BS guy is great, our school could save a ton of money and just show us his two hours on biostats.

Members don't see this ad :)
So which one of the PASS Program videos are the best and a must view in your opinion or are all of them equally awesome?

Is it true that this program/video series is really for those who are on the border of failing Step 1?

The program was designed to help a student PASS step one. I think the micro/ immune and respiratory are quite good. They aren't all equal, but they each (that I have watched) have had something positive to add to my knowledge. Dr. Francis is not Papi(goljan) but he does make some great connections just like papi. you should pick one in an area you are weak in, watch it and see if it helps.

He does a great job of simplifying things. :) This is great if you need to pass or do average. I think the extra points come in where his simplifications cut things off. But those details are always in first aid so he can help you organize things in your head better.

I've read Dr Francis' bio before on the website I believe, I believe that he failed himself at first and his tutor for preparing for his second try is where the idea of the PASS system came from.

I enjoy watching him but I must warn he is not right on everything, many of his concepts are helpful, but don't take everything his says as correct, one of my study group friends was just watching the Neuroanatomy and we were laughing about some of his fairly big mistakes.

They are great tapes though, just remember that he lives by the 90% rule, and the name of the course is PASS and not ACE.

you mean the corticospinal tract doesn't cross at the corpus callosum :eek::eek: and I also think there is more to localizing lesions than can be covered in half an hour. it is also funny when he gets 8 wrong answers to a question that only has three possible answers.(he asked which meningie is blah blah blah... there is only three... right.)

I've heard from a few buddies that the content is alright for the majority of topics, but as the others had put it - there's a few parts where he's wrong... I heard his notes had a bunch of mistakes too...

I wouldn't want to take the chance to learn something "wrong," especially if I'm not familiar or weak in a particular concept... and find out otherwise when doing question banks... So I decided to "Pass" on PASS :rolleyes:

That said, if you're going for the overall grasp of big concepts and are aware that there might be some conflicting info - be cautious, and use it early in the game.