Opinion on research/volunteer work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brolli

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am researching at a lab 4 days a week for credit. I have recently been offered another lab position where I would be able to work around my current schedule. My incentive would be that the new position has a much higher chance of putting out a publication. Also, I have an opportunity to volunteer at a children's hospital during the weekends. I do not want to overload my schedule, so I am just thinking about adding one of the two options.

Which in your opinion would be the best use of my time?

Members don't see this ad.

whichever you prefer. I know that's not something you want to hear, but the main part of research is experience. Which of the two do you think will give you the experience that will ultimately benefit you as a future doctor?

If you think the other lab will get you publications and can give you the flexibility with your time, then choose that one. (by the way, how do you know that the other lab is more prone to publication than the one you're in now?)
However, I think you must also consider the fact that commitment is an important factor also.

what grade are you in?

what field do you want to go into? if you want to be a research doctor do research if you want to do clinical- you have already done research so do volunteer work. Either way- you should have some volunteer work during college.

Unless you're going to be the author of the publication, I wouldn't worry about what lab you research in. The admissions committee is going to care more about your contribution and what you learned from the experience than what journal your PI had the research accepted to.

When you apply you would ideally have checkboxes in both the research and volunteer columns. Exactly how you get there is strictly individual choice. Do what you think you would enjoy the most -- then you'll be able to talk passionately about it at your interview and that's worth a lot.