opinion on St Vincent's NY program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears41

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about St. Vincent's, and would appreciate anyone's take on the program. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything about St. Vincent's, and would appreciate anyone's take on the program. Thanks!

Hey Bears41,
I interviewed at St. Vincent's last year and was impressed only by the location. The interview was strange with two people interviewing (at once) and the residents there were kind of luke warm about the program (seemed there was a lot of traveling throughout NYC involved, which is NOT an easy feat on a day-to-day basis I imagine. In addition there were low surgical numbers, which meant some of the residents went abroad to make up for it.). Also, I received a letter about them being on probation after I interviewed there. I ended up ranking them last. Granted, everyone is looking for different things in a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had to cancel either Beaumont (Royal Oak, MI) or Casey (Oregon Health Sciences) to fit in St. V's, would you? or are those interviews stronger?

Hey Bessie,
Casey is definitely a stronger program. I'm not sure about Beaumont. If I were a betting woman, I would say Beaumont is stronger. I guess the latter decision should be based on how badly you may or may not want to live in NYC. Also bear in mind, as I mentioned above, that St. Vincent's is on probabtion.

If you had to cancel either Beaumont (Royal Oak, MI) or Casey (Oregon Health Sciences) to fit in St. V's, would you? or are those interviews stronger?

there are multiple ophthalmology programs for St. Vincent's (as I realized when I was called by one for an interview and when I replied I already had an one, they were like, "uh; no you don't... that must be at one of our sister sites"). anyone know about st. vincent's brooklyn queens vs. st. vincents manhatten?

i think you should have extremely compelling reasons to want to stay in new york if you cancel casey for st. vincents....i have heard nothing but great things about casey and some negative things about st vincents.

on the other hand, if you're competitive enough to get interviews at places like casey, you'll probably be able to match at one of the better places in the new york area, and therefore probably won't end up at either program

how does st. vincents manhattan compare to the brooklyn/queens program and nassau long island? any opinions would be appreciated. should it automatically be last because it's on probation?