Opinion wanted: M3 what are my chances for dermatology with a couples match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolNerd

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year medical student with a Step 1 score of 256, GPA 4.0, and some volunteering. I haven't done any research before because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and didn't think my Step 1 score was going to be competitive enough for Derm. I'm willing to put in time to get research in during M3 year even if that means coming in on weekends or working late. I am doing a couples match with my husband who plans to do psychiatry. What should I do to improve my chances of matching? Is this even a viable option?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year medical student with a Step 1 score of 256, GPA 4.0, and some volunteering. I haven't done any research before because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and didn't think my Step 1 score was going to be competitive enough for Derm. I'm willing to put in time to get research in during M3 year even if that means coming in on weekends or working late. I am doing a couples match with my husband who plans to do psychiatry. What should I do to improve my chances of matching? Is this even a viable option?

I've know a lot of derm-uro, derm-ortho, and derm-ophtho couples matches, so derm-psych sounds like a cakewalk.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your med school does GPA?

Is your school a US school? I know there are Caribbean/non-US schools that do GPA.

Couples-matching is a nightmare in general. Couples matching derm (a field where approx 25-30% of applicants don't match) is horrible.

You can do it, but realise that you're the rate-limiting step here, and your competitiveness as an applicant is gonna be driving the process. You've got good board scores, but so does everyone else applying.

Your med school does GPA?

Is your school a US school? I know there are Caribbean/non-US schools that do GPA.
Idk if a final GPA is calculated, but my IS school (Maryland) uses a traditional A/B/C/D/F grading scale.

Definitely contributed to me happily turning down what was otherwise a very competitive financial offer.

No such thing as a derm-ophtho couples match

I believe Uro is SF match also, so no couples matching that with derm either

I meant couples who were applying for residencies in the same year

That might work sometimes, but the NRMP applicant needs to be extremely strong to reliably land the same city/region as their SF match partner. It's very risky, and also not the same thing as a true couples match.