(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, sorry to bother y'all. I am an M3 and just recently come to the conclusion that dermatology might be right for me. Just wanted to get some input about my chances of getting into a top 30 or so residency program.

Med school us news rank- 40 to 50
Usmle 1: 265
Basic Science Grades/Clinical Grades/AOA status- Will be Jr AOA soon, ranked #1 in class so far. Pretty much was high grade on every basic science module during the first 2 years. As far as clinical grades are concerned, honored all 3 rotations so far; still have yet to take medicine and surgery
Extracurriculars/volunteering: Pretty much nothing, a couple of health fairs here and there.
Research: Research is definitely not my thing, do not have any published papers at this point in any specialty. Only research I have done netted me a presentation at the national radiology conference, otherwise I have not done anything.

I know I like any research experience at this point, especially derm specific. Since I am already past the halfway point of 3rd year, any suggestions as to what I could do to boost this area of my application with such limited time left. Thanks y'all for ur help.

I think that your scores are great but the glaring question in your application is "why derm?" Did you do a recent rotation in derm? If so, that might be a place to start getting involved in research.

Your scores and your clinical grades will land you interviews but it'll be hard to be competitive with those that are a little more well rounded, but I think if you can put together some pubs together that will be a huge boost. Doing a couple case reports will boost your overall publication count but you have enough time to get involved in reviews. Do you have a particular area of interest within derm because that help streamline the advice? PM for more specific ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Any bother of applying with a CV of
1) School Rank-10-20
2) step 1 of 244
3) 3rd year: Honors in medicine, HP in surgery and roughly half Honors and HPs in the rest
4) Research: First author pub in Ortho and some presentations here and there.
5) can get decent letters
6) aways and connections? who knows.
Or would I have to blow step 2 out of the water?

Step 2 does not add much weight to a derm application so it won't matter since you have a good step 1 to get past most cut-offs.

So similar to my previous post, something must have gotten you interested in derm and I think you should work back to those angles. If it's the lifestyle then you'll need to come up with some sort of collaboration with a derm to develop a connection.

You would have a decent chance but hard to say. You would be betting on more luck and how you present yourself rather than having the cards pre-stacked in your favor...those other intangibles do go a long way though if you get it right...

Hoping to get some advice from this thread! Comments appreciated

I have a terrible step 1 score for derm (basically national average at 223, YIKES!!)
but I have wanted to go into Derm since day one of med school and have been involved with research in my home school's term department since then. I've been working on my own project, will publish soon, and have presented at several conferences and poster sessions already. Also, I plan to take a year off between third and 4th year doing more derm research.

Step II is coming up, hoping to rock that. I also go to a highly ranked school, does that count for anything? I'm in the middle of my third year (grades are pass, high pass, honors where only 5-10% get honors and I've gotten all high passes so far)

any thoughts on what my chances are? I'm basically banking on knowing people etc but is that enough given my awful step 1 score.. any suggestions for improving my chances?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping to get some advice from this thread! Comments appreciated

I have a terrible step 1 score for derm (basically national average at 223, YIKES!!)
but I have wanted to go into Derm since day one of med school and have been involved with research in my home school's term department since then. I've been working on my own project, will publish soon, and have presented at several conferences and poster sessions already. Also, I plan to take a year off between third and 4th year doing more derm research.

Step II is coming up, hoping to rock that. I also go to a highly ranked school, does that count for anything? I'm in the middle of my third year (grades are pass, high pass, honors where only 5-10% get honors and I've gotten all high passes so far)

any thoughts on what my chances are? I'm basically banking on knowing people etc but is that enough given my awful step 1 score.. any suggestions for improving my chances?

Thanks

You sheer perseverance is a huge asset and don't let anyone kill that. You have to realistically understand that Step 1 trumps the school ranking because it is the great equalizer that all students across the nation must take. Step 1 is valued much more than Step 2 no matter what anyone says. That said, you will still get interviews since the school ranking does help a little. You will have a disadvantage compared with those that got a high Step 1 and got a lot of honors in medical school (irrespective of what school they went to even if you are at a top 5 school...I know this from personal experience and watching friends of my interview). There are a few departments that will really look hard at the school rankings and that may play to your advantage.

If you rock Step 2, it will help and if you get a 1st author publication, that will help, especially if it is a project that was your own because that implies that you are going to get a kick ass LOR from your mentor (which is huge).

Pick your rotations wisely as these can boost your application big time.

When you apply, take a good picture of yourself when you submit he ERAS application. I'm not kidding. No one will admit it but how you look will absolutely help...it's the way the world works. On that note, I have never understood why pictures need to be uploaded into ERAS. Why not just make the applicant prove their identity at the interview by checking IDs at that point? That said, make it a good picture when you upload. Some programs like pretty people (they will never admit it) but it's well known that these programs like good looking people...no I'm not going to name programs here.

Good luck

When you apply, take a good picture of yourself when you submit he ERAS application. I'm not kidding. No one will admit it but how you look will absolutely help...it's the way the world works. On that note, I have never understood why pictures need to be uploaded into ERAS. Why not just make the applicant prove their identity at the interview by checking IDs at that point? That said, make it a good picture when you upload. Some programs like pretty people (they will never admit it) but it's well known that these programs like good looking people...no I'm not going to name programs here.

Good luck

Really? I thought there were quite a lot of ugly people on the interview trail and I certainly didn't add much to the general physical appearance of dermatology interviewees.

Really? I thought there were quite a lot of ugly people on the interview trail and I certainly didn't add much to the general physical appearance of dermatology interviewees.

Hope they all interview well....haha...actually there were quite a few good looking people on the interview trail from the ones that I met.

Personal appearance is not the only thing but it's a part that does get counted. I'm no cindy crawford or brooke burke but I realize that appearing professional and presenting yourself with confidence is part of the deal.

I'm an MS4 going into internal medicine. HOWEVER, I am currently doing a dermatology rotation and it turns out I really love this field too. Wondering what my chances would be for applying to derm after IM, with the ultimate goal of splitting my time between outpatient medicine & dermatology practice. I know about all the Medicare money issues involved--just wondering how feasible it would be.

Stats: I'm AOA, 246 Step 1, 263 Step 2. Honored most of 3rd & 4th year, including medicine, surgery, and sub-i. From a low-tier med school.

Not many programs take previously training docs because of the funding issue. That being said, some bigger programs will. Med-Derm is becoming more popular. Is that a possibility at the program you hope to match into?

I'm an MS4 going into internal medicine. HOWEVER, I am currently doing a dermatology rotation and it turns out I really love this field too. Wondering what my chances would be for applying to derm after IM, with the ultimate goal of splitting my time between outpatient medicine & dermatology practice. I know about all the Medicare money issues involved--just wondering how feasible it would be.

Stats: I'm AOA, 246 Step 1, 263 Step 2. Honored most of 3rd & 4th year, including medicine, surgery, and sub-i. From a low-tier med school.

My impression is that where you did medical school won't mean as much after you do an internal medicine residency; where you did IM probably would matter a little. That being said, I looked into the same route as you and found out the same thing as mentioned above: as many as half or more of the derm residencies out there won't consider previously trained people. However, there are some that actually look at internal medicine, specifically, as a huge plus on the application. I think you could certainly pull it off, especially with your awesome medical school stats (not sure how much they come into play after doing a residency in IM).

My impression is that where you did medical school won't mean as much after you do an internal medicine residency; where you did IM probably would matter a little. That being said, I looked into the same route as you and found out the same thing as mentioned above: as many as half or more of the derm residencies out there won't consider previously trained people. However, there are some that actually look at internal medicine, specifically, as a huge plus on the application. I think you could certainly pull it off, especially with your awesome medical school stats (not sure how much they come into play after doing a residency in IM).

One of the derm programs I'm interested in has taken 2 people that have done other residencies previously. Unfortunately, the top of my IM rank list doesn't include any institutions with med-derm programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the derm programs I'm interested in has taken 2 people that have done other residencies previously. Unfortunately, the top of my IM rank list doesn't include any institutions with med-derm programs.

I don't think it will be a big deal if your IM residency doesn't have a med/derm program, it would probably be more important for the place where you do your IM residency to have a derm program that has a history of taking IM trained people. No matter what, with your stats you will likely do well in the IM match which will put you in a good position to apply to derm later on.

I have to tell you that if you are really serious about dermatology, you may want to try and switch fields sooner rather than later (as in spend the next year as a glorified prelim in medicine) and then spend time figuring out which derm research fellowship wyou want to apply for. after intern year, do the fellowship, and then go into derm. The hard/politically difficult part will be convincing your IM dept to let you change residency tracks. If you work hard, it is possible. Unfortunately, derm tends to not really care much about being trained in other specialties. IM is great, but derm is its own world. I would talk to your PD and put all this out there if you are really serious about derm. better to get things moving in the direction you want asap.

just my 2 cents

I would have just sat out the Match and/or applied to prelims. It's easier getting into medicine AFTER dermatology than the other way around.

I have been interested in Dermatology since the first day of Medical school I got a scholarship to participate in lab research at an Ivy btw my 1st and 2nd year and continued it for a while into my third. I am working on other publications and research. However, the night before my step 1 due to a tragedy and inability to postpone I got a 228. I Took my step 2 recently and got a 255. My third year scores have been High Pass and Honors. I dont know if I made the cut off for AOA...Honestly do I have no hope?

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you exactly!!! I personally feel like if you preserve hard enough and derm is what you really want to do then you can do it. Getting to know people in the derm department at your school is helpful- have you done that?

I have been interested in Dermatology since the first day of Medical school I got a scholarship to participate in lab research at an Ivy btw my 1st and 2nd year and continued it for a while into my third. I am working on other publications and research. However, the night before my step 1 due to a tragedy and inability to postpone I got a 228. I Took my step 2 recently and got a 255. My third year scores have been High Pass and Honors. I dont know if I made the cut off for AOA...Honestly do I have no hope?

You have hope. In your case, the Step 2 will help solidify the case that you can do well on standardized exams. You're going to need to give a little more stats though. Which rotations did you honor? How much research do you have and how many publications? How was the connection with the mentor and it is still ongoing? How is your connection with your medical school derm department?

M3 here with post-match shock because one of my friends who's an M4 did not match Derm today. I'd like to know your insights on my realistic chances of matching...many people have not been able to give me a direct answer.

Med School: 50's to 80's (not top 40) but has derm program
Step 1: 239
Basic Science Grades: 4 honors
Clinical: So far only passes in 4/6 clerkships
Research: Derm abstract with a hot shot Dermatologist summer of M1 (not first author, I think maybe 5th), 3 patient handouts with another dermatologist who is residency coordinator at top Derm program (2nd author), one non-derm presentation, currently working on some research with another dermatologist and plan to continue into 4th yr
Extracurriculars: President of DIG, some volunteering
LORs/Connections: I think I can get 3+ strong letters from well respected dermatologist, in addition I know several residents at multiple programs (not sure if this helps in any way)

What can I do to improve my chances this late in the game? Should I not even chance it and take a year off to get more research? Not really sure what would help.

Just my frank take on things...right now, your weaknesses are the < 240 board score (which will JUST miss the filter at many programs), lack of AOA, and lack of peer-reviewed publications. There's nothing you can do about AOA right now. What you can do, however, is to take a year off and get some first author publicaitons. Also, take and do well on step 2. ECs (including DIGA) are useless until the other parts of your application make you competitive....

I'm working on some clinical trials right now, if I was able to get a first author publication from one of these projects in time for application or at least in time to mention the submission in an interview would you still argue for the year off?

I'm working on some clinical trials right now, if I was able to get a first author publication from one of these projects in time for application or at least in time to mention the submission in an interview would you still argue for the year off?
Yes, you should take a year off unless your home program is where you want to go and you know they really want you. Else, i agree with previous advice. I had only 1 clinical grade not honors and i was asked "what happened?". I think it will be difficult for you to get interviews if you application does not get a nice boost. You want a publication and some good grades the rest of med school. Step 2 > 245 at least and some good networking. I am sure you COULD get in the way you are now but it would NOT be easy. Then again, stranger things have happened. Do you have anyone willing to go to bat for you and make phone calls? Are other, better students in your class also applying to derm? Are you on the coast or mid U.S.A.? There are too many factors to count.

"In submission" is useless (because EVERYONE says that something is submitted). It's either published or it isn't. Just like you're either AOA or you're not....

Yes, you should take a year off unless your home program is where you want to go and you know they really want you. Else, i agree with previous advice. I had only 1 clinical grade not honors and i was asked "what happened?". I think it will be difficult for you to get interviews if you application does not get a nice boost. You want a publication and some good grades the rest of med school. Step 2 > 245 at least and some good networking. I am sure you COULD get in the way you are now but it would NOT be easy. Then again, stranger things have happened. Do you have anyone willing to go to bat for you and make phone calls? Are other, better students in your class also applying to derm? Are you on the coast or mid U.S.A.? There are too many factors to count.

Right...s/he COULD get in the way it is now, but it wouldn't be easy. And yeah...stranger things have happened.... The lack of honors is another huge red flag. Especially if there aren't honors in medicine and surgery.

You could basically throw away the honors in basic science as they don't matter too much. Some schools are p/f so it's not a good comparison of candidates...enter Step 1 score as the metric that programs use.

I think a year off of very meaningful dermatology involvement would be helpful.

When discussing around a table, a faculty member at residency programs will bring up the 'no honors'. Because of the caliber of derm apps. they're just looking for that one thing. I'd say that to overcome that, proving your commitment to the field by that extra year may be helpful.

Alternatively, you could always go for it and do that extra year if you don't match. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it would be better looked upon to do the year before graduation in general (although doing a research year somewhere after graduation may help you more specifically as in you can get great letters and direct exposure where you are doing that year). Again, if you would like to stay at your home institution and that is where you plan to do the year off if you do it before you graduate, then that would be good.

When discussing around a table, a faculty member at residency programs will bring up the 'no honors'..

Do these program directors consider that some schools include shelf exams in the calculation for grades and others don't? I have only honored my 3rd year orthopedic surgery rotation so far and have high-passes in surgery, medicine, and psych. However, I do have mid-high 80's raw scores on these shelf exams (the grades, converted to a "school exam score" for these exams appear on the transcript and deans letter). My comments on evals are all very solid, I just seem to be getting a bit unlucky so far. I honored almost all of my M1/M2 courses.

Do these program directors consider that some schools include shelf exams in the calculation for grades and others don't? I have only honored my 3rd year orthopedic surgery rotation so far and have high-passes in surgery, medicine, and psych. However, I do have mid-high 80's raw scores on these shelf exams (the grades, converted to a "school exam score" for these exams appear on the transcript and deans letter). My comments on evals are all very solid, I just seem to be getting a bit unlucky so far. I honored almost all of my M1/M2 courses.

Really, it's hard to know all the ins and outs of a school...just easier to look at honors/no honors....

Really, it's hard to know all the ins and outs of a school...just easier to look at honors/no honors....
When applying for dermatology, you have to understand it is not about how great you are alone, but how good you look compared to your peers. In the same way, most schools assign honors for rotations based on how you compared to your peers. Dermatology is a small, sophisticated world. That means derm programs can pick and choose. Just ask yourself, would you deny an interview/residency to someone with better grades in exchange for someone with your record? Program directors have to be able to defend their selections to the rest of their department. They are just doing their job.

When applying for dermatology, you have to understand it is not about how great you are alone, but how good you look compared to your peers. In the same way, most schools assign honors for rotations based on how you compared to your peers. Dermatology is a small, sophisticated world. That means derm programs can pick and choose. Just ask yourself, would you deny an interview/residency to someone with better grades in exchange for someone with your record? Program directors have to be able to defend their selections to the rest of their department. They are just doing their job.

When looking at hard data, such as shelf exam grades or Step scores, it is obviously easier to say someones grades are better. In terms of clinical grades, however, I really am not sure that these subjective "pass" vs "high pass" vs "honors" are comparable. Especially schools that have multiple sites for rotations- it can be a crap shoot on grading style even amongst two attendings at the same hospital. In fact, a pass or high pass could be doing just as well if not a better job than someone who gets an honors, even at the same school. This is not even considering the wide variability between different schools. With that said, as much as pre-clinical grades are knocked on here, don't they give a much better idea of how you rank amongst the peers at your school? There is no question of differing standards- everyone takes the same exams and is held to the same standard. The attendings and residents who have evaluated me this year clinically have not seen me interact with patients. If I am being evaluated on my presentation skills, isn't this something that could be added to the interview day? Couldn't we just then have everyone take the same shelf exams and switch to a pass/fail system?

Last edited:
When looking at hard data, such as shelf exam grades or Step scores, it is obviously easier to say someones grades are better. In terms of clinical grades, however, I really am not sure that these subjective "pass" vs "high pass" vs "honors" are comparable. Especially schools that have multiple sites for rotations- it can be a crap shoot on grading style even amongst two attendings at the same hospital. In fact, a pass or high pass could be doing just as well if not a better job than someone who gets an honors, even at the same school. This is not even considering the wide variability between different schools. With that said, as much as pre-clinical grades are knocked on here, don't they give a much better idea of how you rank amongst the peers at your school? There is no question of differing standards- everyone takes the same exams and is held to the same standard. The attendings and residents who have evaluated me this year clinically have not seen me interact with patients. If I am being evaluated on my presentation skills, isn't this something that could be added to the interview day? Couldn't we just then have everyone take the same shelf exams and switch to a pass/fail system?

What you said is most likely true. However, in reality, during the rank list meeting, all we're looking at is the # of honors (or lack there of). It's just too difficult to say, "oh...he rotated at site A, so his high pass is really equivalent to honors at site B...." Honestly, for us to do that would be too much additional work. In reality, people take the path of least work/resistance. And if it means that we just pick someone who has all honors over someone who didn't honor medicine but did it at a really difficult place, so be it.... It's not necessarily fair, but you have to remember that we rank in the afternoon, over a 4-5 hour period, and no...we're not just going to go to that level of investigation....

It's definitely not "fair," but that's just the way the system is.... Does it pick the best residents? Probably not. But again, it's the easiest path of least resistance.

MS-III here: Step 1 246; 1st/2nd years mostly honors- Top 25% of class and was eligible for but did not receive Junior AOA (kind of nebulous selection process including a CV, essay, and attending evals we solicited). 3rd year: Honors in Orthopedic Surgery; Excellents (equivalent of high pass) (Psych, Med, Neuro, Surg); Good (equivalent of pass) (Ob-Gyn)- my school seems pretty stingy about honors and doesn't include shelf exams in the clinical grade which would have bumped me up in all cases. I have some non-derm research between 1st/2nd year that got me an abstract and a non-derm case report published in an institutional journal this year. I am doing a 3rd year derm selective and currently writing a case report.

I plan on taking Step 2 early in July, doing 2 away rotations (one in derm and one in derm path) in addition to derm and derm path at my school. Also hope to plan out a research project with my home program now that I can work on extensively starting in July. Any other advice or things I should be doing?
Do not take step 2 until november. Your step 1 will pass most bars but even a 260+ on step 2 wont help much. However, anything less than a 235 on step 2 and you jeopardize a solid step 1 score. Step 2 in july is not what i would recommend. Just my advice. Ask other people, though.

MS-III here: Step 1 246; 1st/2nd years mostly honors- Top 25% of class and was eligible for but did not receive Junior AOA (kind of nebulous selection process including a CV, essay, and attending evals we solicited). 3rd year: Honors in Orthopedic Surgery; Excellents (equivalent of high pass) (Psych, Med, Neuro, Surg); Good (equivalent of pass) (Ob-Gyn)- my school seems pretty stingy about honors and doesn't include shelf exams in the clinical grade which would have bumped me up in all cases. I have some non-derm research between 1st/2nd year that got me an abstract and a non-derm case report published in an institutional journal this year. I am doing a 3rd year derm selective and currently writing a case report.

I plan on taking Step 2 early in July, doing 2 away rotations (one in derm and one in derm path) in addition to derm and derm path at my school. Also hope to plan out a research project with my home program now that I can work on extensively starting in July. Any other advice or things I should be doing?

See above response. Maybe take a year off to get a publication and better LORs out.

all this derm stuff really revs the stress level up! gotta say discussion about scores and the like, as a med student will relatively poor numbers myself who wants to go into derm, really gets me nervous.

just wanted to share a quick stress-buster for those who are interested! 15 min meditation, its free- i do it myself and it works wonders! :)
http://www.ishafoundation.org/Ishakriya

If I can get multiple case reports and a solid research publication or 2 (I should be able to dedicate a large amount of time towards this during the beginning of 4th year), with solid LOR's, do you think this would mitigate the need for a year off?

Yes...taking a year off is just so that you have time to develop publications.

Yes...taking a year off is just so that you have time to develop publications.

That said...you better not get pubs at the expense of honors in the rest of your rotations and doing well on step II....

I just wanted to add my two cents.

I have stats similar to the nrmp. I worked my ass off. However, my other classmates that matched are much lower. If you have above a 230, great LOR, research experience but no pubs, some honors but no AOA, you can make it into derm. Go figure. I'm happy that we all matched but I must say was a little surprised.

Med School: Not Top 40 but has a derm program
Step 1: 263
Basic Science Grades: 1/2 High Passes, 1/2 Honors
Clinical: So far I have honored all my clerkships (Surgery, Peds, Family, Ob)... still need to wrap up psych and do internal as well so no grades yet on these
AOA: nominated for Junior AOA (don't know if I got it yet)
Research: submitted a derm case series with two derms at my school and I'm 1st author on it... but this is basically all I have! Currently "working" on writing up a clinical trial paper and getting involved with a couple of case reports; also considering on doing a derm-related survey as an honors research project
Extracurriculars: tons of leadership, Officer in DIG, tons of volunteering
LORs/Connections: I think I can get 3+ strong letters from well-respected dermatologists... in addition the head of surgery at a great hospital has agreed to write me one as well

What are my chances? And does it help at all that I am an URM (I don't want this to ignite a fiery debate... lol)
And does where you went for undergrad help just a bit? I went to an ivy league school for undergrad

Last edited:
Med School: Not Top 40 but has a derm program
Step 1: 263
Basic Science Grades: 1/2 High Passes, 1/2 Honors
Clinical: So far I have honored all my clerkships (Surgery, Peds, Family, Ob)... still need to wrap up psych and do internal as well so no grades yet on these
AOA: nominated for Junior AOA (don't know if I got it yet)
Research: submitted a derm case series with two derms at my school and I'm 1st author on it... but this is basically all I have! Currently "working" on writing up a clinical trial paper and getting involved with a couple of case reports; also considering on doing a derm-related survey as an honors research project
Extracurriculars: tons of leadership, Officer in DIG, tons of volunteering
LORs/Connections: I think I can get 3+ strong letters from well-respected dermatologists... in addition the head of surgery at a great hospital has agreed to write me one as well

What are my chances? And does it help at all that I am an URM (I don't want this to ignite a fiery debate... lol)
And does where you went for undergrad help just a bit? I went to an ivy league school for undergrad

looking good....

looking good....

How important is it that you have stuff "published" by the time of applications? From where I stand, I may have something just "submitted" and 2 or 3 other things "in progress"... I'm guessing having a manuscript "submitted" is better than it not being done at least... but my biggest fear is not having anything PUBLISHED by apps even though the rest of my app may be solid. Any comments on this?

I think that "submitted' or papers that are pending in any way are perfectly fine...they just want to know that you've done significant research, not pubmed your name and see how many hits pop up....

How important is it that you have stuff "published" by the time of applications? From where I stand, I may have something just "submitted" and 2 or 3 other things "in progress"... I'm guessing having a manuscript "submitted" is better than it not being done at least... but my biggest fear is not having anything PUBLISHED by apps even though the rest of my app may be solid. Any comments on this?

I think that "submitted' or papers that are pending in any way are perfectly fine...they just want to know that you've done significant research, not pubmed your name and see how many hits pop up....

i agree with dn4o68.

my papers where all submitted by application time, accepted during interview time and published soon in the near future. keep in mind mimi53751 that they could technically call a colleague up on the phone at the journal you submitted and check as well. so don't lie.

i agree with dn4o68.

my papers where all submitted by application time, accepted during interview time and published soon in the near future. keep in mind mimi53751 that they could technically call a colleague up on the phone at the journal you submitted and check as well. so don't lie.
Yes... totally! Lying would be the worst!! I've heard about how they can check up on that now!

Thanks for the responses everyone!!!!

I have a question about what to do during the summer of M1... I go to a school that does yearlong anatomy on prosected cadavers, and then we have an opportunity to actually dissect cadavers during the summer. Would this program be at all helpful with dermatology in the future? Do you think it would be worth it just for any advantage it would give with doing the M3 surgery rotation?

I am already doing derm research and will likely have it published in a couple months... should I spend my summer picking up more derm research projects as possible and studying for step 1? Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
I didn't get any replies last time I posted...

Here are my stats:
I'm a 3rd year at an average US allopathic school

Step 1: 255
Preclinical grades: All Pass (we are P/F only)
Clinical grades: 2 passes, 2 near honors so far
AOA: no
Research: 2 poster presentations (ortho and ENT)
Extracurriculars: the usual stuff like student run clinic, some volunteering etc

what can i do to improve?

Thanks everyone

Do you best to honor your remaining rotations. You'll need research in derm and contacts in derm. Do you have any contacts in derm at this point?

So far what you have going for you is the step 1 which will get you past all of the cutoff filters (at the schools that have them). You'll need to develop contacts to get good letters of recommendation. A person with a step 1 in the 230s or 240s and better clinical grades and contacts will get preferential treatment right now if interviews were granted today...but you can make your application more attractive since you still have some time. Sounds like you were interested in other fields and then changed your mind...is that true? If you changed your mind late you'll need to keep an open mind about dedicated research time along the path if it comes to that to develop your contacts...of course, I hope not though! If you have a home derm program, I hope you have already contacted them. If not, you should make an attempt to get to know them.

I have a question about what to do during the summer of M1... I go to a school that does yearlong anatomy on prosected cadavers, and then we have an opportunity to actually dissect cadavers during the summer. Would this program be at all helpful with dermatology in the future? Do you think it would be worth it just for any advantage it would give with doing the M3 surgery rotation?

I am already doing derm research and will likely have it published in a couple months... should I spend my summer picking up more derm research projects as possible and studying for step 1? Thanks in advance for your input!

The dissection will NOT be helpful. I would choose derm research 1000 times out of 1000 if I had the choice. Shoot, I'd rather just go sit on a beach somewhere and do nothing else rather than dissection after a year of anatomy. If your are thinking derm, go for the derm research projects. Publications take longer than you expect and you might not get your research published in two months as you predict. It would be good to keep new ideas flowing...the name of the game for success in research is to keep several plates spinning at the same time and you could even do it with the same mentor if they are open to it. A good one will be open to it and give you a short term project, a medium term project, and a long term project.

The dissection will NOT be helpful. I would choose derm research 1000 times out of 1000 if I had the choice. Shoot, I'd rather just go sit on a beach somewhere and do nothing else rather than dissection after a year of anatomy. If your are thinking derm, go for the derm research projects. Publications take longer than you expect and you might not get your research published in two months as you predict. It would be good to keep new ideas flowing...the name of the game for success in research is to keep several plates spinning at the same time and you could even do it with the same mentor if they are open to it. A good one will be open to it and give you a short term project, a medium term project, and a long term project.

Great! Thank you very much for your response. I'll ask my mentor if he has anything else up his sleeve.