(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for your help dermathalon, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am about to finish my third year and will be applying to residency programs soon. I only became interested in Derm recently and was wondering what my chances are. I had a relatively successful PhD career with more than 10 non-derm basic science publications (1 book chapter and 5 first author publications) on therapies for autoimmune diseases (majority) and cancer. In addition 2 - 3 "in-progess" clinical publications in non-derm fields (already on clinicaltrials.gov). My step 1 score is in the lower 240's. I do not have AOA honors.

I only became interested in Derm during my 3rd year. My interest comes from the fact that I enjoyed shadowing Derm physicians, procedures are exciting, love the fact that it has a little of almost everything in medicine (pathology, surgery, medicine, allergy/immunology, rheumatology, etc.) and that it's so basic-science rich. Also, since I'm about to start my 4th year, I don't have any research directly related to derm (however, some of my graduate research can be indirectly applied). What are my chances with my average stats but strong research background in non-derm fields?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

I am about to finish my third year and will be applying to residency programs soon. I only became interested in Derm recently and was wondering what my chances are. I had a relatively successful PhD career with more than 10 non-derm basic science publications (1 book chapter and 5 first author publications) on therapies for autoimmune diseases (majority) and cancer. In addition 2 - 3 "in-progess" clinical publications in non-derm fields (already on clinicaltrials.gov). My step 1 score is in the lower 240's. I do not have AOA honors.

I only became interested in Derm during my 3rd year. My interest comes from the fact that I enjoyed shadowing Derm physicians, procedures are exciting, love the fact that it has a little of almost everything in medicine (pathology, surgery, medicine, allergy/immunology, rheumatology, etc.) and that it's so basic-science rich. Also, since I'm about to start my 4th year, I don't have any research directly related to derm (however, some of my graduate research can be indirectly applied). What are my chances with my average stats but strong research background in non-derm fields?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Step score is good enough. Good pubs and PhD. are significant feathers in your cap. Do a couple of aways... one at a reach institution where you'd like to end up and another at a lower tier program in a region of the country where you'd like to be. Talk with the residents at your home institution about helping with a couple of derm case reports so as to get your name on something derm related. You should have a nice application in spite of not killing step 1 and not being able to check the aoa box. Study hard for step 2 and take it early... a score >250 would go a long way for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Step score is good enough. Good pubs and PhD. are significant feathers in your cap. Do a couple of aways... one at a reach institution where you'd like to end up and another at a lower tier program in a region of the country where you'd like to be. Talk with the residents at your home institution about helping with a couple of derm case reports so as to get your name on something derm related. You should have a nice application in spite of not killing step 1 and not being able to check the aoa box. Study hard for step 2 and take it early... a score >250 would go a long way for you. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

Any insight is appreciated!

Step 1: 245
3rd year grades: honors in psych, derm, family med, peds. high pass in medicine, surgery. passed the rest.
Jr AOA
research: one summer (derm, poster presentation), one 4th year rotation (derm, upcoming), two published case reports (derm)
Good ECs for what its worth.
Male (if it matters:confused:)
Top 30 school w/ derm dept
No away rotations, but lots of derm in 4th year (two home electives, research, etc)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Just starting out 4th year here, I've been interested in pediatrics but after my derm rotation & derm exposure on other rotations, I'm hoping to apply to derm residencies instead and potentially do a peds derm fellowship down the road instead.

My stats are:
246 on step I
1x honors (EM), 3x high passes (med, surg, peds) in required rotations, haven't taken any other requireds yet and concerned that only having 1 honors will significantly handicap chances
Honors in ophtho elective, high pass in derm elective (ouch), no regular 'passes' yet. Top 20 program.
Not Jr. AOA
No research yet.

I'm thinking of stretching out med school to 5 years (my school is pretty flexible) and mixing in a year worth of derm research along with some advanced derm electives (maybe an away or 2) as well as finishing up my remaining requireds.

Is there something else that I should try to do with that extra year? Would this make my application reasonably strong getting into a reasonably good program? Please be as brutally honest as possible - if it's a very slim chance of getting into any program, I'd consider applying to pediatrics residencies without taking a year off instead. As a side note, anyone have thoughts on getting into derm residencies AFTER a peds residency?
Also, my wife and I will be couples matching and she is set on peds, so we worry about that complicating everything as well.

Thanks!

Just starting out 4th year here, I've been interested in pediatrics but after my derm rotation & derm exposure on other rotations, I'm hoping to apply to derm residencies instead and potentially do a peds derm fellowship down the road instead.

My stats are:
246 on step I
1x honors (EM), 3x high passes (med, surg, peds) in required rotations, haven't taken any other requireds yet and concerned that only having 1 honors will significantly handicap chances
Honors in ophtho elective, high pass in derm elective (ouch), no regular 'passes' yet. Top 20 program.
Not Jr. AOA
No research yet.

I'm thinking of stretching out med school to 5 years (my school is pretty flexible) and mixing in a year worth of derm research along with some advanced derm electives (maybe an away or 2) as well as finishing up my remaining requireds.

Is there something else that I should try to do with that extra year? Would this make my application reasonably strong getting into a reasonably good program? Please be as brutally honest as possible - if it's a very slim chance of getting into any program, I'd consider applying to pediatrics residencies without taking a year off instead. As a side note, anyone have thoughts on getting into derm residencies AFTER a peds residency?
Also, my wife and I will be couples matching and she is set on peds, so we worry about that complicating everything as well.

Thanks!

get a case report written for derm and then apply; you should be fine...i wouldn't take an extra year w/ your stats. i'd apply broadly, however. generally, it's harder to get into derm after doing another residency; there are a few places that will take you if you've done another residency -- nw, pitt, and wright state come to mind.

Last edited:

My stats are:
246 on step I
Not Jr. AOA
No research yet.

Thanks!

You have a Step 1 that will get you through almost any filter (except those that use AOA or 250 as a filter...not too many of those programs around). The clinical grades are middle of the road and people will wonder why you did not get an honor in peds or in derm if you are thinking about peds and derm...you'll need to be ready to answer this question...especially the high pass in derm. To be honest, you'll get through the filter and someone will look at your application, the key to whether you'll get an interview will depend on LORs (don't know the details of your high pass in derm, but you'll need to evaluate if this means that you'll get mediocre letters from derm attendings) and your personal statement.

There's no crystal ball for anyone here but I think your application could get significant help with a year off and it depends on your situation. If you already have good connections with the derm department then you'll be ok. If the high pass was from your home school, then this may not bode well for you at the home institution. If you take a year off, make certain that you really focus on a variety of projects that so that you have some quicker publications along with some longer term projects. Doing aways is a good idea and make sure you work your butt off to make sure those are honors grades and so that you make connections/impress the other programs.

People have gone back to derm residency after peds but pupster's point is well taken...

Looking at your stats and where you are right now, I would seriously consider applying everywhere when you apply. Good luck.

Any insight is appreciated!

Step 1: 245
3rd year grades: honors in psych, derm, family med, peds. high pass in medicine, surgery. passed the rest.
Jr AOA
research: one summer (derm, poster presentation), one 4th year rotation (derm, upcoming), two published case reports (derm)
Good ECs for what its worth.
Male (if it matters:confused:)
Top 30 school w/ derm dept
No away rotations, but lots of derm in 4th year (two home electives, research, etc)

Thank you!

Great stats! You'll definitely get interviews and maybe up and above the magic number but you'll have to make sure you have a nice personal statement, and more importantly, strong LORs. Your research is pretty thin and you'll be a stretch to get interviews at programs that love research such as UCSF/UPENN/etc. and your clinicals are great (but still a little short of those that get honors in all their rotations). However, I would never rule anything out because you LORs and personal statement can put you over the edge in any one program and you might get a few big name interviews (for whatever that is worth...).

Try to get a few more research items down such as a review if you can and you could work on this during your away. People take notice when visiting students are able to publish.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing two home electives instead of one home and one away? You'll boost your application more with an away elective unless you are worried about your ability to socially interact. PM me if you prefer.

Step 1: 215
Step 2: TBD
Not AOA.
Clinical grades: 3/6 core clerkships honored overall, rest clinical honors.
Planning on writing two derm review papers during year off between 3rd and 4th year. as of yet no Derm research.

What can I do now to get derm in the 2014 match?

With a step 1 that is well below the average, your chances are going to be slim. You have to work your way in using connections. Take a year off and either go to your home institution or somewhere with a lower-middle tier derm program and do serious research. Smooze, and hopefully you can overcome the lower step 1 score.

Step 1: 215
Step 2: TBD
Not AOA.
Clinical grades: 3/6 core clerkships honored overall, rest clinical honors.
Planning on writing two derm review papers during year off between 3rd and 4th year. as of yet no Derm research.

What can I do now to get derm in the 2014 match?
with your stats alone, you will not have a chance in matching without doing a derm research fellowship after your pgy1. even with connections alone, it will be incredibly difficult.

Here are my stats. Any insight is appreciated!

Step 1: 231/99
Junior AOA
3rd year grades: Honors in Psych, High Pass in everything else
Research: Before coming to medical school I completed a Masters degree in an unrelated field with 1 first author paper in a high impact journal, 2 second author papers in mid-tier journals, and >10 meetings/published abstracts. I am taking the next year off for a research fellowship doing derm-related research as well
Mid-Tier school in Texas with a derm department

I plan on applying broadly but am interested in any input on my chances at more academic programs since I realize my Step score is not the greatest. Thanks for your help!
you'll make it through some of the filters with AOA and maybe step1 score without taking a year off (maybe a few interviews). make the most out of that year of research and get published in dermatology and you will have a even better chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I would love some feedback on how realistic my chances are:
Step 1: 236
Grades: Honors in all pre-clinical & clinical
Junior AOA
I have done bench research in another field with national presentations but no publications...
I am new to pursuing Derm and definitely committed, but switching into it at the beginning of my 4th year means I have no connections for strong Derm LORs yet.

I am really interested in Texas where my fiance lives, but we could move anywhere.

Any advice? Am I a mediocre or competitive applicant? What should I be doing so late in the game? I appreciate your tips!

Hello,

I would love some feedback on how realistic my chances are:
Step 1: 236
Grades: Honors in all pre-clinical & clinical
Junior AOA
I have done bench research in another field with national presentations but no publications...
I am new to pursuing Derm and definitely committed, but switching into it at the beginning of my 4th year means I have no connections for strong Derm LORs yet.

I am really interested in Texas where my fiance lives, but we could move anywhere.

Any advice? Am I a mediocre or competitive applicant? What should I be doing so late in the game? I appreciate your tips!

I think you will numerically be strong and should get interviews (clearly your grades are outstanding). How many is hard to tell. The lack of publications, and more importantly, the lack of connections will make it more difficult since you just won't have the same sort of letters that others will have. Also, you're going to have to convince people why you are committed to derm. Why should they not think that you considered derm just because you have come through with the grades and the AOA and now you think that's enough for derm (just want you be ready for any variations of questions on this). I think it makes sense to go ahead and apply since you are already into the 4th year at this point. Just know that there is a chance that a person with your stats and history can "fall through the cracks" even after getting many interviews. Really really practice before your interviews and make sure you are clear as bell with your reasons so that you can convey why derm means so much to you. If you were to "fall through the cracks" you'll have a strong chance to eventually match. Maybe it'll be this year and it's worth going for it if you feel you can get everything lined up for an application.

Try to get in a few case reports or reviews to help build the track record within derm. This will help to build relationships for a good letter as well. You may have a few nights where you are working on these publications but you gotta do what you gotta do. A few or even one looks way better than none. One is not as attractive as someone that has five and has had a commitment to derm for a longer time...the reason I say this is that you will be co-applicants with those that have had more of a commitment to derm. Your grades and AOA status will be in your favor.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I need any input I can get, I'm sure not many in my position have asked this question but at the risk of say sounding silly, here I go-
I am an IMG who finished IM residency and am pursuing rheumatology fellowship, with increased exposure to derm specifically derm manifestations of rheumatic diseases I am getting more and more interested in derm, and am interested in carving a niche in derm/rheum, however not sure if a derm residency is the way to go or doing a derm fellowship ( that will give similar exposure however wont result in eventual board certification) should be considered

my stats are as follows
step 1- 230
step 2 -235
step 3-220
poster presentations ( regional and international level)
case reports >5
review articles 3
original articles 2
book chapters 2

1) should i pursue a derm fellowship
2) try applying for derm residency and what are my chances- honestly speaking given lower scores and IMG status and having completed residency and a fellowship
3) any ideas which derm programs are open to accepting applicants with prior residencies?

Any response will be appreciated

Thanks

Hi all,

I need any input I can get, I'm sure not many in my position have asked this question but at the risk of say sounding silly, here I go-
I am an IMG who finished IM residency and am pursuing rheumatology fellowship, with increased exposure to derm specifically derm manifestations of rheumatic diseases I am getting more and more interested in derm, and am interested in carving a niche in derm/rheum, however not sure if a derm residency is the way to go or doing a derm fellowship ( that will give similar exposure however wont result in eventual board certification) should be considered

my stats are as follows
step 1- 230
step 2 -235
step 3-220
case reports >5
review articles 3
original articles 2
book chapters 2

1) should i pursue a derm fellowship OR
2) try applying for derm residency and what are my chances- honestly speaking given lower scores and IMG status and having completed residency and a fellowship
3) any ideas which derm programs are open to accepting applicants with prior residencies?

Any response will be appreciated

Thanks

Just got my Step I score back and I'm pretty upset: 226. My interest in dermatology was the reason I went to medical school in the first place (personal experience with melanoma) and I want to know if I still have a chance? I have 12 publications (10 in derm, all 1st author), 2 book chapters, I'm at a top 20 medical school and have lots of other extracurriculars etc. Do I still have any chance at matching in derm? Would it even be worth it to try to take a year to do more research or a fellowship? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Just got my Step I score back and I'm pretty upset: 226. My interest in dermatology was the reason I went to medical school in the first place (personal experience with melanoma) and I want to know if I still have a chance? I have 12 publications (10 in derm, all 1st author), 2 book chapters, I'm at a top 20 medical school and have lots of other extracurriculars etc. Do I still have any chance at matching in derm? Would it even be worth it to try to take a year to do more research or a fellowship? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Yes, you still have a chance.

You are way ahead of the curve for pubs, so taking a year off wouldn't add much in IMO.

You sound dedicated and are obviously hard working. Do your best during MS3 and keep belting out 1st author pubs (as time allows). Get involved with your home derm dept if you're not already (I bet you are). Do 1-2 aways and knock their socks off. Don't gun too hard, it comes across as phony. Apply broadly (i.e. everywhere) and be glad for the interviews you get (I'm guessing in the 7-10 range). Likelihood of match, >80% I'd say.

Oh, I don't think killing step 2 will add much, but others may disagree with me on that. There are only a few programs that require it. If you feel your strengths are more in the clinical realm, then take step 2 early, if not then delay it (I think getting a bad score will hurt more than getting a great score will help).

Last edited:
Yes, you still have a chance.

You are way ahead of the curve for pubs, so taking a year off wouldn't add much in IMO.

You sound dedicated and are obviously hard working. Do your best during MS3 and keep belting out 1st author pubs (as time allows). Get involved with your home derm dept if you're not already (I bet you are). Do 1-2 aways and knock their socks off. Don't gun too hard, it comes across as phony. Apply broadly (i.e. everywhere) and be glad for the interviews you get (I'm guessing in the 7-10 range). Likelihood of match, >80% I'd say.

Oh, I don't think killing step 2 will add much, but others may disagree with me on that. There are only a few programs that require it. If you feel your strengths are more in the clinical realm, then take step 2 early, if not then delay it (I think getting a bad score will hurt more than getting a great score will help).

Totally agree with every single point in this post.

If you really like a sub-aspect of research and would like to take the year off, then go for it. A degree granting program or a named fellowship like the Doris Duke or HHMI may be helpful.

Clinical grades are also important so let me reiterate what sore eyes said in that try your best in third year.

People like you (if you come through with stellar grades in third year) are hard to pass up except that you might not get through computer cuts. In the places that do look at your application, you will be compelling.

Just starting my 4th year. I come from a state school. Junior AOA, Step I 248, Step II pending. I have a few derm case reports in Archives, JAAD, and Cutis but nothing big and nothing 1st author. No bench research - I feel like this is going to hurt me.

My home program is pretty small and I'm not crazy about them. I have 2 away rotations lined up at places where I've met the program directors and chairs a few times at the AAD.

I am a photographer and have had a few gallery shows but nothing really drastic to speak of. I earn a side living by shooting weddings, engagements, babies. I think this hobby/profession may help me but I feel like other applicants will say they like photography and are "visual people."

How do I set myself apart?

Thanks for your help!

hi all! i am an IMG from Kuwait i will apply for dermatology this year sponsored by my government my step 1 score 218/81 , step 2 208/83 i've done only one research during college , i graduated 5 years ago , spend my internship in medicine, surgery, pediatrics , obs/gyne then worked 4 yrs as a physician in pediatrics dept. what do u think my chances of getting matched given that i am sponsored by my government
thank you for help

hi all! i am an IMG from Kuwait i will apply for dermatology this year sponsored by my government my step 1 score 218/81 , step 2 208/83 i've done only one research during college , i graduated 5 years ago , spend my internship in medicine, surgery, pediatrics , obs/gyne then worked 4 yrs as a physician in pediatrics dept. what do u think my chances of getting matched given that i am sponsored by my government
thank you for help

u have a good shot at BU. check their grad list for recent grads w/ similar funding/similar background from the middle east. as for the other programs, i'm not sure.

I realize that I may have chosen the wrong specialty and am wondering if it's too late to switch to dermatology. I have been pursuing ENT for 7-8 months now and was pretty set, but am doing the sub-I and think I may have made a mistake. I'll meet with my advisor soon but I wanted to get an honest, sugarcoat-free opinion of my chances as to whether I should even go for it:

Step 1: 251
Definitely will not get AOA
Grades: HP- Medicine, Family, Peds; Honors- Surgery, OB, Psych
Pubs: 1 accepted case report in surg onc
Abstracts: 2 published abstracts in surg onc
Research: Surg onc (M2), ENT (M4) which resulted in a poster
Away rotations planned at 2 schools in ENT, but could potentially change them to derm?

I obviously have no derm experience and would have to do the derm sub-I at my home school. What pushed me to consider it were the facial plastic/cutaneous procedures I saw in ENT which I realized I enjoyed the most. To make matters even more complicated, I am attempting to do a couples match in orthopaedic surgery. I know people have made late switches in the past, but do I even stand a chance? Would taking a year off be my only option?

I realize that I may have chosen the wrong specialty and am wondering if it's too late to switch to dermatology. I have been pursuing ENT for 7-8 months now and was pretty set, but am doing the sub-I and think I may have made a mistake. I'll meet with my advisor soon but I wanted to get an honest, sugarcoat-free opinion of my chances as to whether I should even go for it:

Away rotations planned at 2 schools in ENT, but could potentially change them to derm?

I obviously have no derm experience and would have to do the derm sub-I at my home school. What pushed me to consider it were the facial plastic/cutaneous procedures I saw in ENT which I realized I enjoyed the most. To make matters even more complicated, I am attempting to do a couples match in orthopaedic surgery. I know people have made late switches in the past, but do I even stand a chance? Would taking a year off be my only option?

go for it. others have mactched with less...

Go for it but be prepared for all outcomes. I know others in similar situations in the past. Some matched and others have not. The biggest question that you'll get is what drives you toward derm and you will have your intentions questions...be prepared with an answer for it. Don't be discouraged if you don't match though, as a year of dedicated derm research can usually overcome that if you already have the grades for it.

Discuss how you are going to present yourself with your adviser. Going in guns blazing that you are interested in surgery will be a calculated risk.

II obviously have no derm experience and would have to do the derm sub-I at my home school. What pushed me to consider it were the facial plastic/cutaneous procedures I saw in ENT which I realized I enjoyed the most. To make matters even more complicated, I am attempting to do a couples match in orthopaedic surgery. I know people have made late switches in the past, but do I even stand a chance? Would taking a year off be my only option?

I actually had a very similar story to you but I ended up actually applying for the ENT match, then pulled out after going on a few interviews and reapplied to derm the following year and succesfully matched. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey guys, can anyone give me advice on my current standing as of "now" and what would be good to do to match in derm?

Step 1: 244
M1/M2 class rank: about top 1/3
Research: basic science research that I dedicated significant amount of time during M2 year, resulting in a poster presentation and winning 1st place for my abstract. Publication is pending.

Just started M3, I don't think I will be getting Honors in everything. I'm going to guess I'll probably get a HP in med and Surg, maybe Honor some of the easier rotations.

Thanks guys!

Was thinking ophtho for a while, but I'm not convinced I want to go in just yet.

3rd year US student in middle tier school in northeast
Step 1: 239
75% honors in MS1 and MS2
Just started third year, no grades yet
Likely Senior AOA
3 Publications (no derm), 2 patents filed (no derm), 2 poster presentations
Interesting and extensive extracurriculars

How competitive is this? I know I should get a publication in the field before applying, which should be do-able.

Hi all,

my stats are as follows
step 1- 230
step 2 -235
step 3-220
case reports >5
review articles 3
original articles 2
book chapters 2

1) should i pursue a derm fellowship OR

Thanks

It's Funny- the Smartest Med students all want to go into Dermatology- ANY IDIOT could do dermatology- either give the patiet steroids or an antibiotic... a high school drop out could do stupid dematology... yet, only Harvard honor students can get a derm residency- so stupid it's unreal...
signed,
MD with 30 years expeience....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Funny- the Smartest Med students all want to go into Dermatology- ANY IDIOT could do dermatology- either give the patiet steroids or an antibiotic... a high school drop out could do stupid dematology... yet, only Harvard honor students can get a derm residency- so stupid it's unreal...
signed,

tumblr_m46looxIi41qe9tnzo1_400.jpg

Signed,
ANY IDIOT

signed,

Don't feed the troll. :eek:

I think you will have an uphill battle getting into Derm. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You should at the very least take a year to do derm research if that is your cup of tea, but you really should consider getting board certified in Rheum and then join a derm practice to help with rheum/derm pts. I don't think it will be easy to get into a derm residency with your current background.

However, there are always exceptions. Do you know any powerful academic derm attendings?

Hi, just curious how I would fare as I lack some key components

New US medical school that I am in the charter class
Preclinical: All fine Top 10% of class
Step 1 255
Step 2 270
Honors in IM, FM, Peds, Psych
AOA retroactive (meaning my school has said I will be given it after I graduate because the school is new and cannot establish an AOA chapter until after I graduate)
MSPE is glowing

No department of dermatology, so obviously no Chairman of Dermatolog LOR
*No publications of any kind* besides some run of the mill community clinical poster presentations (aka crunch numbers)
No hotshot dermatologists to advocate for me

Just curious where I will be

(btw, if anyone happesn to give me encouraging news, I still doubt I will be applying to derm. It's great, has a great lifestyle, great everything.. but i never put much thought into it that's all)

Hi, just curious how I would fare as I lack some key components

New US medical school that I am in the charter class
Preclinical: All fine Top 10% of class
Step 1 255
Step 2 270
Honors in IM, FM, Peds, Psych
AOA retroactive (meaning my school has said I will be given it after I graduate because the school is new and cannot establish an AOA chapter until after I graduate)
MSPE is glowing

No department of dermatology, so obviously no Chairman of Dermatolog LOR
*No publications of any kind* besides some run of the mill community clinical poster presentations (aka crunch numbers)
No hotshot dermatologists to advocate for me

Just curious where I will be

(btw, if anyone happesn to give me encouraging news, I still doubt I will be applying to derm. It's great, has a great lifestyle, great everything.. but i never put much thought into it that's all)

:confused:

tumblr_m5mucepkcI1qar1rx.gif

okay I am guilty of preening. Sorry everyone.

But I did highlight that I have no dermatologic experiences, no letters from derm hotshots, new medical school w/o dermatology department, and no publications (I saw the Match data has a mean of 8 publications for those who matched)

Essentially, my question may be boiled down to:

How much does research really matter vs the other academic/clinical aspects?

When looking at the factors for residency application, research is not amongst the highest. Yet it seems to be held in very high regard for dermatology.

Just wondering if this is the case.

okay I am guilty of preening. Sorry everyone.

But I did highlight that I have no dermatologic experiences, no letters from derm hotshots, new medical school w/o dermatology department, and no publications (I saw the Match data has a mean of 8 publications for those who matched)

Essentially, my question may be boiled down to:

How much does research really matter vs the other academic/clinical aspects?

When looking at the factors for residency application, research is not amongst the highest. Yet it seems to be held in very high regard for dermatology.

Just wondering if this is the case.

I wasn't trying to be a dick, and it's not like the point of this isn't to give us a good idea of your stats/where you stand, but your whole post came off as "Hey guys, I have no intention of applying for derm, but just for my own self-edification, how do you think I compare?"

Perhaps others who are upper level residents and/or attendings can provide more insight, but in my experience although research can be and is something that is highly regarded in derm, some programs seem to view it (in application terms) as merely a "check box" to go along with everything else. You don't necessarily have to have published in Nature or anything (although high quality pubs absolutely help), but the impression I got when applying and interviewing was that evidence of some dedication to research is highly desired among derm candidates.

That said, I was not a super research powerhouse by any means, so I was worried that would bite me in the butt. Thankfully it did not whatsoever, as far as I can tell.

So I think the most important factor in dermatology is actually a desire to practice as a dermatologist. You have no experience with it, so if you did get an interview, it would be very difficult for you to field questions. Many med students try exceptionally hard to get into derm and it would be obvious that you could care less. Stats would get you past the cut off, but your personal statement might not.

In derm you kinda need to have everything going for you to have a chance. Extra drive and desire can make up for some shortcommings but stats will not make up for a lack-luster desire for derm.

Program directors are not short on great stats from their applicants. I am sorry to tell you that you would look like all the other applicants. No one is going to drool over your stats to the point of asking you to apply even though you are not interested at this time.

No problem. Thanks for the reality check though.

And no I was not really trying to "show off" as I am a firm subscriber to "there is always another bigger fish." (other people have much higher step scores and get all 6 honors)

I just wanted to know if I should "reach" because there seems to be that "spin the wheel" mentality amongst applicants who have incomplete packages (like myself).

So...thinking about considering derm. I've been interested in skin cancer for a while as well as inflammatory skin diseases. Starting clerkships, I'm also realizing I like the outpatient setting more than the inpatient and that I'd prefer a specialty that has a good lifestyle but is also intellectually stimulating and nerdy (i.e. i'm a science geek), where doctors have good relationships with their patients. Don't care too much about money. I like the vibe of derm because I get the sense everyone is accomplished, sociable, nice, but genuinely interested. (i.e. they enjoy their life and their work). However, like everyone here, worried about grades, wanting to have some flexibility in location given social reasons/significant others, etc. I live in CA and my partner wants to stay here. I'm just starting third year and still trying to figure out how to excel in clerkships. Any advice on whether derm will be an option for me? My Step 1 is borderline. Not sure how third year will turn out.

Top 5 US Med School
No class rank
Step 1: 239
Step 2: maybe next year?
Clerkships (P/F/Honors system): Only 1 so far...Surgery=Pass/Honors/Honors.
2 basic science pubs (both 1st author, non-derm)
1 review article (1st author, derm)
1 published abstract (shared author, non-derm)
Tons of posters/talks/presentations in US and abroad
Few scholarships

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.