Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sstearle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interview at/have an opinion on University of IL at Peoria or the MSU program in Kalamazoo?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at the Kalamazoo program (this is several years ago now). It seemed like a great place. The residents were happy, Dr. Overton is well respected. I think they run a quality shop. On a neutral note they divide their time equally between two hospitals. The offices are at a third location.

That "third location" is Michigan State University's Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, which consists of outpatient clinics and faculty officies. Overall, KCMS is a benign, community-based program in which most of the faculty is excellent and tries to give you a great learning experience. Dr. Overton is a past president of Michigan's ACEP chapter, and is the current chair of EM for MSU's College of Human Medicine. He is also a very approachable guy - happy to talk to anyone interested in EM.

The two main hospitals are Borgess Medical Center and Bronson Methodist, both level 1 trauma centers. You won't see quite as much trauma as you would in a more urban environment, but all the residents I've spoken with have been quite content with their level of training, and have had ample time to read and stay on top of things.

Regarding Illinois-Peoria, the program director is Dr. Squillante, who is also the moderator of this forum. He'd probably be able to give you insight.