Opinions about Beth Israel Deaconess

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any opinions about BIDMC? I guess I've read and heard alot about how it is alike/differs from the other Harvard hospitals, but anyone know it compares with other programs like UChicago, UWashington, or UPenn? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Great question, firstdoc. I have been wondering the same thing. In particular, I'd be interested to hear a comparison of BID vs UPenn. While we wait for someone else to fill us in, would you refer me to any other sources of information you have already found re BID (besides the obvious scutwork & House of God)?

2359 said:
Great question, firstdoc. I have been wondering the same thing. In particular, I'd be interested to hear a comparison of BID vs UPenn. While we wait for someone else to fill us in, would you refer me to any other sources of information you have already found re BID (besides the obvious scutwork & House of God)?

what's House of God?

Members don't see this ad :)
Zolpidem25 said:
what's House of God?

a very good novel that every medical student and resident should read!!

You definitely should read it. I read the Amazon excerpt during second year, and I was shocked and disgusted and didn't buy the book. Then, at the advice of a friend, I bought and read it after third year. I laughed like a crazy person. It's based off of the author's experiences as an intern at BID.

2359 said:

ok, so my source of information: my interview day! these are my feelings about this program:

Pros: great morning conference - very impressed with both residents and faculty and the interaction between them
speaking of residents, probably the nicest bunch of residents I've interacted with! very bright group of people, but very grounded and down to earth
good fellowship match (however, uncertain about how this compares to the other programs mentioned above)
great location (in Brookline area of Boston)
great computer system (everything on one system and accessible from home)
nice hospital
very involved chief of medicine (he mentioned he personally calls fellowship programs)
prominent faculty (alot of impressive research, teaching responsibilities at Harvard med, etc.)

Cons: ? number of private patients (did not get a good answer about this question on interview day)
? involvement of PD
? patient population (although they do have a VA that they share with B&W and BU)
I personally did not enjoy my interviews as much as I did at other programs - both interviewers seemed distant and I felt like I didnt' connect with them very well.

Ok, that's it. Anybody else with any other comments?

CONS: Location in Brookline - VERY expensive even for Boston.

Everything else seemed great based on my month there as an exchange clerk.

Hi,
I am a BIDMC resident. I am a big fan, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Many of the residents specialize, and we place well. In cards, for example, I think everyone has matched for at least 3yrs straight.

Regarding the mix of patients, 90% of the patients are taken care of by hospitalists. Only a handful of attendings see their own patients in-house and they are taken care of by one team (the "Chief" team). Of course, patients without PCP's get admitted to the hospitalist service. The rest of the patients have PCP's that contract with hospitalists. I can write it all out but ends up being complicated and could be different by next year.

The private attendings generally let the residents run the show, so you're certainly not calling them at 2am to ask if its ok to give tylenol.

Regarding the patient population, it is a good mix. Its about the same as BWH. Probably somewhat different than BU or Tufts. They range from patients flying from abroad paying out of pocket, to Boston's poorest. My clinic also has a good variety. And yes, many of us have clinic at and rotate at VA with BU and BWH so we get to take care of the grateful vets.

I am sorry you didn't dig your interviews!

firstdoc said:
ok, so my source of information: my interview day! these are my feelings about this program:

Pros: great morning conference - very impressed with both residents and faculty and the interaction between them
speaking of residents, probably the nicest bunch of residents I've interacted with! very bright group of people, but very grounded and down to earth
good fellowship match (however, uncertain about how this compares to the other programs mentioned above)
great location (in Brookline area of Boston)
great computer system (everything on one system and accessible from home)
nice hospital
very involved chief of medicine (he mentioned he personally calls fellowship programs)
prominent faculty (alot of impressive research, teaching responsibilities at Harvard med, etc.)

Cons: ? number of private patients (did not get a good answer about this question on interview day)
? involvement of PD
? patient population (although they do have a VA that they share with B&W and BU)
I personally did not enjoy my interviews as much as I did at other programs - both interviewers seemed distant and I felt like I didnt' connect with them very well.

Ok, that's it. Anybody else with any other comments?

Pros: great computer system, in boston, Harvard name

Cons: "least of the harvards", BID not great national rep compared to UPenn, UMich, Uchicago, MGH. get used to not being in the "best" palce in boston. good if you wanna stay in boston. diverse residents.