Opinions about Western University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snooper92

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have had interviews at Western University in CA, I am wondering if anyone could share impressions and thoughts about the school.

I have been invited for an interview, but am torn about whether to go through with it because it's a new school and seems risky in that it's not an established dental school yet.

The area appeals to me because I would like to eventually settle around there, but I am first and foremost concerned about the quality of the dental school.

Thanks for any helpful thoughts or comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Well from what I understand of what they told us we take most of our classes with their DO school. They will have you in the clinic your first year or maybe second depending on when the clinic gets built. They have dentists lined up to practice to start gathering patients for when you go active in your third year. Its in a decent location, plus they have a lot of other schools on the same campus, so they have school functions and stuff. You are paying a lot of money to be the guinea pig, so I guess as long as you know that when your getting into it you will probably get what you expect. Every school will have to go through complications, they are trying their best to minimize problems. Overall, I don't think I can really tell you anything that will help you though. For me everyone's opinions are nice to hear, but I just go off the feeling I get when I go to the school and talk to them about their program. Good luck with your decision.

it's a new school and the area surrounding it is kinda ghetto.... but all it's other health professional schools have awesome clinical experiences for their students, so i assume western's dental school would be the same. I actually wouldn't mind going to that school and paying the tuition... it's close to home (i live in so cal) and i'll be able to live at home (which saves on rent and food n laundry money) but personally for me... i got cooped up at home for undergrad so i wanna get out. :) but i don't think western's a bad school. i would be happy if they accepted me and honored they felt i was capable of helping them with their inaugaral class. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The campus itself isnt as grand as other places. There really isnt a building yet - they are building it and it is delayed. They said something about putting you into clinic all through the summer semester which sounds like a good idea. Unlike other schools, 3rd/4th years have to put in 100 days working outside in private or community practices which gives real life experience (this part is cool). I think they will slowly establish a fully running dental clinic within 10 years and have that like most dental schools around. The tuition is not terribly expensive as well - something around 49,000 a year compared to 62000 of USC. The cost of living is pretty cheap in that area as well so you're looking at saving a lot of money overall.

western is like a small community, and it seems to have its own little bubble. its pretty nice and a lot of people will like it, except for the fact a lot of their buildings arent done yet. for example, your sim labs will be approx. a mile off site at an office warehouse or something... which is a little inconvenient. if you can deal with things like that and like a smallish town atmosphere (although LA is only an hour away) then it will be fine. the faculty is very nice and there was an extremely laid back attitude with everyone