opinions appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandhar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall GPA 3.16
science GPA 3.17
I started my undergraduate in a nearby community college. a month or two
into the program, my mothere got diagnosed with cancer. And my rocky life
began from there. I had to cut down on the courses, because i had to take
care of her as her condition started to get worse. My dad had to work to
support the family. I had to take my mother to hospitals once or twice a
weak. I was like a home nurse to her. I did everything from giving her
medication, injections and watching her diet. Unfortunately, my school
involvement started to diminish. I did my ist year in a span of two years in
coomunity college witha overall GPA of 2.8.

Then I started my university career, My mother started to do better. (WAS
CURED). i started to focus more on school, and i got the results. My GPA started to improve dramatically.
Unfortunately , year into university, my mothers cancer came back and she
did not make it. I had to get a job as well to help out around the house.

My undergraduate years, is one that i will remember my entire life.
I am very interested in osteopathy medicine,
I am shadowing a DO.
I also volunteer at hospital and as well as at preschool for children with
special needs.
I have gotten a plenty of clinical experience looking after my mother.
I am writing MCAT in april. I am confident that i will get 26 or 27 atleast.
I am very commited to becoming a DO, my goal was strengthen
further with my mothers ilness.
I know my undergraduate GPA is shaky, but the unfortunate circumstances lead
to that result.

I am very interested in your input on my situation. Should i apply, or am i
just dreaming?
I thank you for reading my email, i look forward to your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Author Topic: opinions appreciated
Hi Sandhar:
I noticed your post was from Canada, I'm not sure if you will be applying as an international student to US schools so I don't know if requirements for you will be more stringent. I just wanted to say, that my undergrad GPA was pretty low (2.9 or so), Undergrad science was even lower! and my MCAT was only 25 (after taking it 3 times!)--but I just found out I was accepted at 3 osteopathic schools and wait-listed at a school here in Texas! I didn't apply directly after graduating from college. I went on to complete my Master's degree (finished with very high marks, I think this helped ALOT), and I did 3 years of intensive research (many publications, abstracts, etc)-- I worked full time while I went graduate school, so I think this was noticed. I also focused in getting quality clinical experience, and shadowed about 3 DO's. This is the second year I am applying to medical school, so I think persistence is important also. I think what really helped me this year was my experience with osteopathic medicine, and getting a very supportive letter from a DO. Some schools say that a MD letter is okay but DO letter is preferred, I sent an MD letter last year, and got NO interviews. So, i think the letter from the DO definitely made a difference.
Sorry to hear about your mother. I think that admissions committees take familial circumstances into account, especially if you show them that you were able to face these situations as challenges, and learned something from them. My sister was very ill as a child, and in my personal statement, I discussed how her illness helped shaped my perceptions and perspectives in medicine, etc. I would definitely make a point to discuss your situation tactfully in your personal statement and do a lot of insight, I'm sure there is much you have learned about yourself while being faced with the challenge of your mother's illness.
Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to say that you should definitely apply, I mean look at me! I never ever dreamed that I would ever be accepted at medical school, and now I have to choose among medical schools! Like I said before, my undergrad Sci GPA was under 3.0, my overall was barely 3.0. I think after my Master's my overall came to 3.25 and my science was 3.20-- and you already have these as an undergrad! And you have a life experience that most likely has led you to know and understand things that other students have not . Best of luck. You will get in! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions!

KM

I think kmaha has given excellent advice about writing your life experiences and personal situations that helped in shaping your interest in medicine. I know for a fact that admissions committees take hard life situations into account! This helps show that you want to be in medicine for the right reasons- not because of the money, office hours, and the white lab coat.

-Nathan