Opinions? BCPM or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeesh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a biotech class offered by my bio dept. But the name on the class description is "Genetics and Biotechnology in society" It's not italicized obviously, but would that qualifier knock it out of the BCPM category? I was going to list it as AO anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

If you did well in the class, list it as BCPM. It more likely is BCPM than not.

If >50% of the material you learned was biology, then list it as BCMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd list it as BCPM if it helps you. Worst case scenario is that they'll correct it and put it as a non-BCPM.

If it's offered by your school's biology department and the course code is the same as other biology classes, I'd list it as BCPM. I think you'll get the benefit of the doubt in that respect.

Remember that BCPM just gets you in the door, do what it takes to get it as high as possible.

I'm a strong proponent of the "just put it in and if they don't agree they will change it" philosophy - I put in a few high level game theory and economic statistics courses as "math" and AMCAS gave me no problems. The thing with AMCAS is that they seem to have a hard spot for engineering courses... it is pretty ridiculous that they don't count as "science" although most of them are 10X as hard as any premed biology or chem course. On the other hand, when explaining my undergrad at interviews, the interviewers were pretty enthusiastic about my engineering and economics background. It seems like a genetics in society course would be a no brainer.

Yup ultimately I would put it in BCPM especially if you do well. AMCAS can and will change it if they want to.

What does your school use to abbreviate it? example biology 101=BIOL101 on my transcript, just like Genetics uses BIOL215. I would imagine this class has a BIOL or similar prefix, no? if so, then theres your sign.

Yup ultimately I would put it in BCPM especially if you do well. AMCAS can and will change it if they want to.

What does your school use to abbreviate it? example biology 101=BIOL101 on my transcript, just like Genetics uses BIOL215. I would imagine this class has a BIOL or similar prefix, no? if so, then theres your sign.

Yeah it's listed as BIOL. But the course description makes it clear that the main emphasis is on applications to society and the ethics of the subject.

BIOL =biology. I would be surprised to see anyone on these boards or even AMCAS say otherwise