Opinions/Critiques Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdoctor13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with a degree in Cell Biology and Neuroscience-Biomedical option and plan to apply to MD and MD/PhD programs for matriculation in 2015 or 2016. This means 2-3 years off. I am not going to go straight to school so please don't tell me that I should. I've listed my credentials, a list of school and a few questions below. Please open the flood gates to any advice you may have.

Academics:
cGPA 3.92
sGPA 3.95
4 Years undergrad @ MSU Bozeman, full class loads every semester. No slacker classes.
Honors college graduate w/ lowest distinction
Highest honors within normal college
Positive grade trend (GPA increased every semester)
Award for Excellence Recipient (~3% of graduating class receives this)

Research
3 years research experience in a developmental biology lab
2 different summer research programs
3 separate semesters of research funded via a undergrad research program
3 poster presentations
Will have 1 co-authorship and possibly 1 authorship by the time I apply

Work
I currently work part time as a phlebotomist/lab tech assistant at the local hospital's OB/GYN (will have 1-2 years experience before I apply =1000-2000 hrs)
1 year part time/temporary experience as an instuctor at a local outdoor science school
2 years working as a science mentor for a NIH funded program providing science education to rural 4H participants
1 year working as a "life mentor" for the aforementioned program

Volunteer
I plan to have 100 hours volunteering at the local hospital by when I apply (all post grad)
I plan to have 50 hours volunteering for destination imagination (about 1/3 post grad)
I plan to have 50 hours volunteering with a local ski program for children with disabilites
I may volunteer as an EMT...maybe.
I have ~80 hours volunteering abroad (1 medical outreach trip to Costa Rica/Nicaragua and 1 outreach trip to an orphanage in Bosnia/Herzegovina)

Shadowing
I plan to have 100 hours of shadowing split between as many specialties as possible by the time I apply (mostly post grad)

MCAT
TBD...I plan to take in January 2014 and retake spring 2014 if needed. I believe 32-33 is a pretty realistic score for myself.

Random
EMTb certified
Wilderness EMT certified

My List (in order of preference)
OHSU (MD/PhD)
UC Denver/aurora (MD/PhD)
UW (MD/PhD)
WWAMI Program*
UCSF
UCSD
UC Davis
Mayo
Harvard

*I would not be eligible to matriculate in the WWAMI program until 2016 because of residency constraints. I believe I would have a pretty good chance considering my experience in the rural NIH-4H program, my academic history at MSU, a WWAMI school, and time spent volunteering for Destination Imagination and my stint at the local outdoor science school....they love all things local/rural. In the 2016 matriculation year I would also be eligible for the WICHE program.

Questions
Is this realistic? Obviously some of my listed school are super lofty goals unless I crush the MCAT. I'm asking if it's realistic that I get into at least 1 of the schools on my list.

If you were in my position (already taking 2 years off) would you consider waiting an extra year in order to possibly take advantage of the WWAMI program or WICHE programs?

I didn't do much volunteering or shadowing during undergrad because at any given time (after my freshman year) I was a full time student, doing research, mentoring 4H kids and working at a science school here and there. Will the fact that the large majority of my volunteering and shadowing is done post graduation hurt my application much?

I'd like to stay in the mountain west...or at least the west. Any other school suggestions?

What critiques/suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Add UTx Southwestern and Baylor to the list, and WashU too. Aim high.

I just graduated with a degree in Cell Biology and Neuroscience-Biomedical option and plan to apply to MD and MD/PhD programs for matriculation in 2015 or 2016. This means 2-3 years off. I am not going to go straight to school so please don't tell me that I should. I've listed my credentials, a list of school and a few questions below. Please open the flood gates to any advice you may have.

Academics:
cGPA 3.92
sGPA 3.95
4 Years undergrad @ MSU Bozeman, full class loads every semester. No slacker classes.
Honors college graduate w/ lowest distinction
Highest honors within normal college
Positive grade trend (GPA increased every semester)
Award for Excellence Recipient (~3% of graduating class receives this)

Research
3 years research experience in a developmental biology lab
2 different summer research programs
3 separate semesters of research funded via a undergrad research program
3 poster presentations
Will have 1 co-authorship and possibly 1 authorship by the time I apply

Work
I currently work part time as a phlebotomist/lab tech assistant at the local hospital's OB/GYN (will have 1-2 years experience before I apply =1000-2000 hrs)
1 year part time/temporary experience as an instuctor at a local outdoor science school
2 years working as a science mentor for a NIH funded program providing science education to rural 4H participants
1 year working as a "life mentor" for the aforementioned program

Volunteer
I plan to have 100 hours volunteering at the local hospital by when I apply (all post grad)
I plan to have 50 hours volunteering for destination imagination (about 1/3 post grad)
I plan to have 50 hours volunteering with a local ski program for children with disabilites
I may volunteer as an EMT...maybe.
I have ~80 hours volunteering abroad (1 medical outreach trip to Costa Rica/Nicaragua and 1 outreach trip to an orphanage in Bosnia/Herzegovina)

Shadowing
I plan to have 100 hours of shadowing split between as many specialties as possible by the time I apply (mostly post grad)

MCAT
TBD...I plan to take in January 2014 and retake spring 2014 if needed. I believe 32-33 is a pretty realistic score for myself.

Random
EMTb certified
Wilderness EMT certified

My List (in order of preference)
OHSU (MD/PhD)
UC Denver/aurora (MD/PhD)
UW (MD/PhD)
WWAMI Program*
UCSF
UCSD
UC Davis
Mayo
Harvard

*I would not be eligible to matriculate in the WWAMI program until 2016 because of residency constraints. I believe I would have a pretty good chance considering my experience in the rural NIH-4H program, my academic history at MSU, a WWAMI school, and time spent volunteering for Destination Imagination and my stint at the local outdoor science school....they love all things local/rural. In the 2016 matriculation year I would also be eligible for the WICHE program.

Questions
Is this realistic? Obviously some of my listed school are super lofty goals unless I crush the MCAT. I'm asking if it's realistic that I get into at least 1 of the schools on my list.

If you were in my position (already taking 2 years off) would you consider waiting an extra year in order to possibly take advantage of the WWAMI program or WICHE programs?

I didn't do much volunteering or shadowing during undergrad because at any given time (after my freshman year) I was a full time student, doing research, mentoring 4H kids and working at a science school here and there. Will the fact that the large majority of my volunteering and shadowing is done post graduation hurt my application much?

I'd like to stay in the mountain west...or at least the west. Any other school suggestions?

What critiques/suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
We can't give educated advice until you get an MCAT score. You might as well put this thread on hold until you have that. It's too important to ignore.

Lets assume 32. I know myself and I know I test well so I think 32 would be a safe, conservative assumption.

I think a 32 is a low score for most md-phd programs and the higher tier schools you listed.

In regard to another question is a don't think it will matter when you do the shadowing etc. But if I were you I would aim to do more hospital volunteering because 100 hours is pretty minimal especially if you have a few years to so it.

Also I am kinda surprised that for someone wanting md-phd you are not doing research during your gap years... I'm not saying this is a horrible thing I'm just surprised..

Honestly I personally do not think your plan is super realistic but I could be wrong:)

I think a 32 is a low score for most md-phd programs and the higher tier schools you listed.

In regard to another question is a don't think it will matter when you do the shadowing etc. But if I were you I would aim to do more hospital volunteering because 100 hours is pretty minimal especially if you have a few years to so it.

Also I am kinda surprised that for someone wanting md-phd you are not doing research during your gap years... I'm not saying this is a horrible thing I'm just surprised..

Honestly I personally do not think your plan is super realistic but I could be wrong:)

Forgot to mention, I am finishing up my research project during the gap years and probably helping with a few others. My PI offered me a stipend to cover 250 additional hours, so not a ton, but something.

I figured 100 hours hospital volunteering would be sufficient considering I'll be working 1000+ hours/year in the same hospital. Maybe not though...?

When you say you don't think my plan is super realistic, do you mean you wouldn't expect an acceptance at ANY of the programs listed? I'd be applying to MD and MD/PhD programs at OHSU and Aurora.

That is great you are continuing research in your gap year.

And with the volunteering its ok but you would have way more than 100 hours if you volunteered at a hospital 3 hours a week for just one year.

I'm kinda confused would you be happy doing an MD only program at those not super competitive schools?

I would definitely aim higher on the mcat.

That is great you are continuing research in your gap year.

And with the volunteering its ok but you would have way more than 100 hours if you volunteered at a hospital 3 hours a week for just one year.

I'm kinda confused would you be happy doing an MD only program at those not super competitive schools?

I would definitely aim higher on the mcat.

Good point, I'll likely end up with 250+ hospital volunteer hours after my gap years...

I would be happy doing an MD only at the schools mentioned. I'm not exactly shooting for the moon. My girlfriend and I are both avid skiers/climbers/hikers/etc and she'd be moving with me so location has more weight in my decision than some people's. I'll probably apply to the MD/PhD programs my first go around (and MD alone at schools that allow it) then if I don't get in anywhere on my list will apply to MD programs + WWAMI my second (hopefully not needed) go around.

Lets assume 32. I know myself and I know I test well so I think 32 would be a safe, conservative assumption.
I can't recall interviewing any MD/PhD candidates with an MCAT that low. It would take spectacular publications and potential to to get in anywhere in CA.

Thanks for clearing that up!

That us good you will have more volunteering hours!:)

You only listed 9 schools though. When it comes time to apply I would apply to much more than that and also shoot for higher on the mcat.