opinions- Emory/ BU/ GWU/ Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libra28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to the following schools and have different feelings toward them all...

Emory- Health policy and management- (i hear it is hard to change concentrations :( ) CDC location is great! Emory is literally home.

BU- Maternal and child health (i can change the concentration)- possible to finish in 3 semesters.

GWU- Maternal and child health (can change also if i decide to)- good area/ networking/ job opportunities/ classes start after 3 pm so more time for a job

Tulane- Maternal and child heath And Epi...-- not sure what the perks here are

I have lived in atlanta for 22 years and just finished my undergrad at emory and feel like i should go out and experience something new. I want to work while i am in Grad school and help pay my way and get some experience. I want to go somewhere interesting and exciting and meet new people. I am also taking the MCAT in Dec and would like to attend med school in 2011 (most likely in GA for in state tuition).

I think that all four are really good schools and each one has their benefits...
Anyone in these programs and can share why they chose this path? Also for anyone else, What you think and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Add this to your BU list: they have a lot of night classes, so you'll definitely have time for a job. Massachusetts is also a state with lots of great public health opportunities as it's one of the strongest advocates of public health in the country.

EDIT: I just realized you want to do med school. If you're doing a MPH to aid your medical school application, it doesn't significantly impact it. If a MPH is something you always wanted to do and you want to do public health with your medical degree, apply to MPH/MD programs. It'll be much better for you both time-wise and money-wise.

Last edited:
I have been accepted to the following schools and have different feelings toward them all...

Emory- Health policy and management- (i hear it is hard to change concentrations :( ) CDC location is great! Emory is literally home.

BU- Maternal and child health (i can change the concentration)- possible to finish in 3 semesters.

GWU- Maternal and child health (can change also if i decide to)- good area/ networking/ job opportunities/ classes start after 3 pm so more time for a job

Tulane- Maternal and child heath And Epi...-- not sure what the perks here are

I have lived in atlanta for 22 years and just finished my undergrad at emory and feel like i should go out and experience something new. I want to work while i am in Grad school and help pay my way and get some experience. I want to go somewhere interesting and exciting and meet new people. I am also taking the MCAT in Dec and would like to attend med school in 2011 (most likely in GA for in state tuition).

I think that all four are really good schools and each one has their benefits...
Anyone in these programs and can share why they chose this path? Also for anyone else, What you think and why?

If you have College debt and know you want to go to Medical School (which will add more to your debt), then it's not wise to earn an MPH (and add even more debt).

Unless you can avoid borrowing a single Dollar (literally), don't even consider an MPH if you plan on going straight to Medical School. Even with zero debt, I'd still recommend going easy on your family (or whatever else the source of your funding is).

From what I know, the best Public Health fields are Epidemiology and Biostatistics as those are the ones that have the most Math/Quant/Computer work. The others are more general and, in many cases, less valuable than Epi/BIOS. Emory is the best school on your list, but I don't think you should go anywhere. If you want to be a Doctor, why not start sooner?