Opinions from experienced Caribbean medical school students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmss011223344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been getting a lot of mixed reviews about UMHS. Please only post a reply if you have real knowledge of this school's situation and it is not just word of mouth. I am considering this school because I have heard they have excellent USMLE preparations and I have a friend who is studying there right now and she loves it. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 22 on the MCAT, do you think that UMHS is a good idea or that I should study for the MCAT and try to get into a US medical program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have been getting a lot of mixed reviews about UMHS. Please only post a reply if you have real knowledge of this school's situation and it is not just word of mouth. I am considering this school because I have heard they have excellent USMLE preparations and I have a friend who is studying there right now and she loves it. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 22 on the MCAT, do you think that UMHS is a good idea or that I should study for the MCAT and try to get into a US medical program?

You should study for the MCAT and look into grade replacement to help boost your GPA. Then look at getting into a DO school. Do not go to the Caribbean if you haven't given US schools a real shot.

UMHS is not California approved and that affects being able to get licensed in multiple states. I'm not sure what states DO allow MDs from UMHS to get licensed, but you will be limited and that will hurt you. Don't do it.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 10 users
That's easy...call a cab, or look in the stock room at Walmart.

Nah I heard they place students at Mayo, MGH, and NYP for ortho and derm on the regular because that's what the website said so it must be true.

Reactions: 7 users
That was a good read
This was an AWFUL read. I cannot believe that guy couldn't land anything better than Internal Medicine residency after getting a 260 step 1 276 step 2. Its so freaking tragic.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,
I am considering this school because I have heard they have excellent USMLE preparations and I have a friend who is studying there right now and she loves it.

Talk to her when match season comes around.

Reactions: 2 users
Save yourself from the $300,000 island vacation; study for the MCAT and apply DO.

Reactions: 6 users
You won't find any experienced UMHS graduates on here because they're too broke from unemployment to have Internet access.

This was an AWFUL read. I cannot believe that guy couldn't land anything better than Internal Medicine residency after getting a 260 step 1 276 step 2. Its so freaking tragic.

Think it's for a reason?

" The last semester on the island was little more than a giant board review course. Pharmacology was the only new subject material, the rest was ‘high yield’ review for the boards. First Aid for step 1 was the unofficial, but widely suggested, textbook for a majority of the final semester’s classes. It shouldn’t be a surprise then when my school boasts a first time pass rate on the USMLE of 95-98%. Anything save for a drunken monkey would be able to passively regurgitate what’s needed to pass the boards."

You should study for the MCAT and look into grade replacement to help boost your GPA. Then look at getting into a DO school. Do not go to the Caribbean if you haven't given US schools a real shot.

UMHS is not California approved and that affects being able to get licensed in multiple states. I'm not sure what states DO allow MDs from UMHS to get licensed, but you will be limited and that will hurt you. Don't do it.

Admire your posts when come across them.

The only opinions I would solicit from these students are their choice of sunscreen and their preferred airline. Planning my off-shore vacation. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
You'd be better off trying for D.O or looking for another healthcare field from what I've read.

Reactions: 1 user
I have some info if you care...

Webinar said the school already applied for NY approval. Will apply for FL and CA in 2017. I was at MUA and CA approval has been up in the air for a few years now. UMHS is owned by the Ross family so they have the money to invest in the program. They expect title IV in about two years. I spoke to them, you can call them up and verify. They obviously can't give you a date because of the legality but I remember calling up AUA in August 2015 asking them about title IV and they said they had no idea and then they got it in October of that year.

Anyway, I know a UMHS chief resident in IM from NJ so yeah I've seen the end result but that's one person. If you read through the ChrissyMD blog you will see that she was a straight A student so that's a very important piece of information to consider and she's in FM from what I understand. Usually when these schools have alumni profiles they are of the best students that they graduate so don't think that is representative of everybody from that school.

Most of the students (around 80%) in the school are in the extended basic sciences program as per Michelle P. So even though they are offering the 16-month route through the regular basic sciences program, just know that most people are not on that route. That's another bit of valuable information. I think she even called the regular basic sciences route "honors."

Things will obviously change with the school once they at least get NY and FL approval and you will most likely be grandfathered in but they don't have those right now and they are using private loans which I would not recommend for such a risky endeavor. And what I mean by change is that the tuition will go up.

My take on the Caribbean is that it is risky and if you must take this route for whatever reason, you must have good stats coming in to stand any chance of making it through a program that is designed to weed you out.

Also, UMHS does not have an exit exam on the island. You take your final term (5th in regular basic sciences and 6th in extended basic sciences) in Portland ME. That's where they make you take the Kaplan course and then you take the Kaplan comp. which is your basic sciences "exit" exam. In a way I like that better than taking the comp on the island which I find to be more stressful.

If you can't get into a DO program, test your standardized test-taking skills and bump up your MCAT. If you can make 500-503, I think you can survive a Caribbean med program. Matching is something different though. It's a risk till the end essentially.