Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Opinions from wise people on MCAT score

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by abs39, Jun 9, 2002.

1. abs39

abs39 Member

I am not very happy with my MCAT score (9v, 8P, 10B Q). GPA 3.76 Computer Science Major graduated from a state school two years ago. I have some EC's and shadowing, but nothing spectacular. I'm really not sure whether to apply with these scores or retake. I wold be happy to attend a state school. I know that people get into schools with these scores, but many are stuck on waiting lists well into the summer. I wonder if I am at more of a disadvantage with these scores, or waiting for August scores. I think that I could do better, but I thought that I would do better this time as well. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Street Philosopher

apply and take august test. if you are waitlisted then you can let them know about your new (and improved?) august score. I'm an application newbie so others will probably give you more detailed/better advice. Cheers!

4. whyme

whyme Member

abs39, was that your first time taking the MCAT? if it is, then take the test again and do better. people still get admission letters well into the summer. my cousin who went to a top 5 undergrad school had below average scores in everything, took the test in aug after taking it in april and still got into ucsd med a couple of weeks before classes started. it happens. good luck

5. abs39

abs39 Member

Yes, this was the first time taking the MCAT. Does anyone else think it is a good idea to apply with these scores but also take the August test?

6. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Yup I also think that you should apply make sure your stuff is in ASAP. Retake the beast in August and you should be fine. Apply to as many schools as you financially can, and only apply to those schools that you *would* actually go to. Many people just randomly apply to schools without thinking "would I go to this school if this is the only one that accepted me?"

7. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I agree... apply this year (submit ASAP!). If you feel up to it... retake it in August.

8. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    I agree!

9. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Dude, did you notice that this thread is four years old??? The OP is probably an M4 by now. :laugh:

10. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    :D

11. sweetstuff25

lol i just cracked up laughing. :laugh:

12. HelenaP

HelenaP Senior Member
    Physician Faculty

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, from skimming her posts it looks like she got accepted into at least 2 schools that application cycle. So yay, a happy ending :)

13. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    But did she retake or not? :)

14. Nomemory

Nomemory Member

Medical Student
    Oh frick that made me laugh. My ribs ache.