Opinions from wise people on MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abs39

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not very happy with my MCAT score (9v, 8P, 10B Q). GPA 3.76 Computer Science Major graduated from a state school two years ago. I have some EC's and shadowing, but nothing spectacular. I'm really not sure whether to apply with these scores or retake. I wold be happy to attend a state school. I know that people get into schools with these scores, but many are stuck on waiting lists well into the summer. I wonder if I am at more of a disadvantage with these scores, or waiting for August scores. I think that I could do better, but I thought that I would do better this time as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

apply and take august test. if you are waitlisted then you can let them know about your new (and improved?) august score. I'm an application newbie so others will probably give you more detailed/better advice. Cheers!

abs39, was that your first time taking the MCAT? if it is, then take the test again and do better. people still get admission letters well into the summer. my cousin who went to a top 5 undergrad school had below average scores in everything, took the test in aug after taking it in april and still got into ucsd med a couple of weeks before classes started. it happens. good luck

Yes, this was the first time taking the MCAT. Does anyone else think it is a good idea to apply with these scores but also take the August test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup I also think that you should apply make sure your stuff is in ASAP. Retake the beast in August and you should be fine. Apply to as many schools as you financially can, and only apply to those schools that you *would* actually go to. Many people just randomly apply to schools without thinking "would I go to this school if this is the only one that accepted me?"

I agree... apply this year (submit ASAP!). If you feel up to it... retake it in August.

QofQuimica said:
Dude, did you notice that this thread is four years old??? The OP is probably an M4 by now. :laugh:

Oh frick that made me laugh. My ribs ache.