opinions needed on PDA software for Dx/Tx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dontknowwhat2do

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start internship in July and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good software for PDA's for diagnosis and treatment. I've been to palmgear.com and it looks like the three main options are:
1) Essentials of Dx/Tx (CogniQ)
2) Harrison's
3) 5-Minute Clinical Consult

I would prefer to get only one of these (or another if somebody knows about a different one that is good), so any opinions would be appreciated. My main interest is finding a program that is best at allowing you to put in a diagnosis and it will spit out the treatment. I'm going into psychiatry, so I'll be doing internal medicine and neurology during the first year....if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

5 mcc is good but not comprehensive. I would stay away from Harrisons as it is too "textbook"-ish. Try the Washington Manual.

Does almost everyone get a PDA for intern year, if they don't already have one?

I have never owned a Palm - did not use/need it for ward rotations or maintaining a schedule. However, is this going to change now that I am not going to want to carry around books, planners, etc.?

If your program doesn't give you a PDA, is it recommended to go out and get one?

Thanks.