Opinions needed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirationsfiring

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat complex, somewhat simple question for any pre-med/post-med students.

I am a sophomore undergrad, and I'm an English major. I have been thinking about medical school for the past year or so, and have finally decided that it is my one and only career dream. I know there are many other things that I could do successfully, but being a MD seems to be the most fulfilling to me.

My question falls in my dilemma of questioning myself and my abilities. I have, for as long as possible, strayed away from the core sciences (i.e.. Chemistry, Biology and Physics.) I have what I believe to be a misconception that I dislike sciences. However, I realize that I haven't given them a fully deserved chance.

I am wondering what advice anyone would for me. I am a second semester English major at a public university, I have a 3.0 grade average, but intend on getting it quite a bit higher at the close of this semester. I have not yet indulged in the required pre-med science courses. I am thinking about cramming at least one of them in over the summer - if that is even possible. Anyway, any advice, positive or negative, would be helpful in my decision making process. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't taken any science, do that. If you like it, keep going. If you don't well that's a good indicator. Whatever happens, good luck!

It's definitely possible to get in one of the science courses (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, or Organic Chemistry) over the summer. Do not try for two. That might be two exhausting. Good luck to you. Keep investigating the field; it only seems to get more fascinating the more I delve into it.