Opinions now that I have calculated my science gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I had asked a few weeks ago how you all though I would fare in the application process. That however, was before I had calculated my science GPA etc.

I just calculated everything via the AMCAS standards and came up with an undergrad gpa of 3.35/3.08. This includes a most recent grade in two cases rather than the average of the original grade and the new grade.

My MCAT score is a 28 (8PS-8VR-12BS).

SO....what do you all think based on the above?

My graduate gpa so far (three quarters in an MPH) program is a 4.0. Further, I am retaking one of the classes that I did not do well in as an undergrad as a grad student. How will DO schools look at this grade? Will they count the original, or the most recent in my science gpa?

Now, what do you think? I was heartbroken after seeing my science gpa (its even worse for allopathic school). I am pretty upset :(

Adrian
PS: I am a guy, apparently some people have been getting confused by the name lately.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, relax, you'll be fine.

You meet the minimum MCAT and GPA requirements at most/all D.O. schools. By sheer numbers, you should get accepted to almost every D.O. school you apply to. Applying to state schools as an out-of-stater will be harder but doable.

As everyone will remind you, the adcoms will look at other things as well. LORs, life experiences, etc.

But based on numbers alone, you should get a ton of interviews at D.O. schools.

Once you get the offers, you'll need to seal the deal with good interviews.

good luck.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Remember, a lot more goes in to it besides numbers. And besides that, your numbers aren't bad. I think you've got a good chance. And the fact that you are taking a class over again will show the schools you are trying. Cheer up and good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man, are you actually debating on applying or not? If you are planning on applying then just do it! :thumbup:

People get in with sub 3.0gpa so I think you have zero to worry about.

:eek:

My LORs and other things arent really my concern as I have taken care of those pretty well I feel :)

The two weakest points are my gpa and MCAT :(

I'm always really hard on myself and man, it sure does suck.

Adrian

ok, I just remembered that DO schools do not count math in the science gpa, unforunately, that brings me down to a 3.35 and a 3.08.

Will the retake of the undergrad course as a grad student count towards my undergrad BCP?

I am an Ohio resident so I am praying that OU will want me :)
Adrian

Well, since we're talking GPAs here, I've got a unique question...

My science GPA is 3.46 without calculating my Orgo grades (A in Orgo I, so far low A in Orgo II).

My cumulative GPA is 3.29.

I'm assuming that's competitive....What sort of MCAT would I need to hit to stand a good chance of getting invited to an interview with some D.O. schools?

Also, as a young, brash, *****, trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, I took some classes and got bored with them, got some I's and never completed the work and they naturally rolled to F's.

The above cumulative GPA is calculated without them. If they're added in, it drops to 3.11. Is that still competitive? I mean, they in such medically related subjects as Old Testament Survey, Financial Accounting and Systems Programming......Or have I really shot myself in the foot?

BTW - Texas has an academic fresh start program where they wipe your grades at a particular univeristy that you apply for fresh start at. I could get most of the F's gone without hurting myself by doing that.

If you guys are calculating your Science GPA's, I found something interesting last night on the AACOMAS site. Supposedly, they do NOT count math into the science gpa, but do count a list of other subject claimed "other science" which includes subjects like geography, nutrition, etc. Any thoughts about this? I was a bit surprised.

First of all, your MCAT is not weak--especially if you're looking at your state school. I don't care what anyone else tells you, high 20's is perfectly respectable.

Now, your GPA...the re-take will probably count toward your graduate GPA if you are registered under the graduate number. However, that doesn't necessarily screw you. Besides the usual "beyond the numbers" spiel, you have to look at trends. Not only is your GPA improving, but you've got a kick-ass GPA in a master's program. That's going to be impressive!

From my own experience interviewing at OU, I know that they liked that I was able to write a coherent essay that addressed the question without repeating the OU viewbook. I've also been told by a friend who is a 3rd year now that your numbers are what get you an interview. Once you are invited for an interview, everyone is on equal footing. So the interview is really your chance to shine. And their interviews are SOOO laid-back and not a bit stressful! (At least not to me and I've had some stressful interviews!)

I think you stand a very good chance of being accepted at OU--especially since you're a buckeye. If you want to retake the MCAT to see if you can improve it, then go ahead. But, I would personally concentrate on doing well in your graduate classes. You may have to address some of those lower grades in interviews, but that's no big deal. I had a couple of C's and an F to explain and I was quite honest--hey, I was a sophomore, wanted to party instead of study and it bit me in the a$$.

Good luck to you!!

Willow

WillowRose said:
First of all, your MCAT is not weak--especially if you're looking at your state school. I don't care what anyone else tells you, high 20's is perfectly respectable.

Now, your GPA...the re-take will probably count toward your graduate GPA if you are registered under the graduate number. However, that doesn't necessarily screw you. Besides the usual "beyond the numbers" spiel, you have to look at trends. Not only is your GPA improving, but you've got a kick-ass GPA in a master's program. That's going to be impressive!

From my own experience interviewing at OU, I know that they liked that I was able to write a coherent essay that addressed the question without repeating the OU viewbook. I've also been told by a friend who is a 3rd year now that your numbers are what get you an interview. Once you are invited for an interview, everyone is on equal footing. So the interview is really your chance to shine. And their interviews are SOOO laid-back and not a bit stressful! (At least not to me and I've had some stressful interviews!)

I think you stand a very good chance of being accepted at OU--especially since you're a buckeye. If you want to retake the MCAT to see if you can improve it, then go ahead. But, I would personally concentrate on doing well in your graduate classes. You may have to address some of those lower grades in interviews, but that's no big deal. I had a couple of C's and an F to explain and I was quite honest--hey, I was a sophomore, wanted to party instead of study and it bit me in the a$$.

Good luck to you!!

Willow

Perfectly stated. You are going to be fine at OU. Good luck with everything.

Something I was thinking about, my BS is in Molecular Genetics, arguable one of the hardest science-based majors at Ohio State. Clearly that would have an effect on my science gpa.

How do schools look at my science gpa (where I have many upper level MG and Physio/Cell bio courses) versus a poli sci major that only had to take the prereqs?

Adrian

Buckeye(OH) said:
Something I was thinking about, my BS is in Molecular Genetics, arguable one of the hardest science-based majors at Ohio State. Clearly that would have an effect on my science gpa.

How do schools look at my science gpa (where I have many upper level MG and Physio/Cell bio courses) versus a poli sci major that only had to take the prereqs?

Adrian

Stop worrying man, you're golden. You'll have no problems, trust me.

DaveinDallas said:
Well, since we're talking GPAs here, I've got a unique question...

My science GPA is 3.46 without calculating my Orgo grades (A in Orgo I, so far low A in Orgo II).

My cumulative GPA is 3.29.

I'm assuming that's competitive....What sort of MCAT would I need to hit to stand a good chance of getting invited to an interview with some D.O. schools?

Also, as a young, brash, *****, trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, I took some classes and got bored with them, got some I's and never completed the work and they naturally rolled to F's.

The above cumulative GPA is calculated without them. If they're added in, it drops to 3.11. Is that still competitive? I mean, they in such medically related subjects as Old Testament Survey, Financial Accounting and Systems Programming......Or have I really shot myself in the foot?

Shoot for over a 25. You should get a chance to explain the F's in interviews.

(nicedream) said:
Shoot for over a 25. You should get a chance to explain the F's in interviews.

I had two F's on my transcripts from my first go at college....never got brought up in any interview allopathic or osteopthic. Then again I transfered schools and pretty much had A's though the hard classes like Organic and Biochem. They DID bring up those grades in my interviews.

(nicedream) said:
Stop worrying man, you're golden. You'll have no problems, trust me.

Ahhh thats easy to say coming from someone already accepted :D

hey, good luck on getting in. I have a feeling that I'm gonna be in some shoes similar to yours. I'm still about a year away from applying, but some things in the past have the potential to haunt me, but I'm not gonna let that keep me from achieving my dream and you shouldn't either. GOOD LUCK! :luck:

I agree with the posters, you should be fine. Make sure your personal statement is really great and talks about briefly any bad grades you have. An admissions director told me once, if they see a bad mark on a transcript, they go straight to the personal essay to see if the student briefly mentioned what happened.

I had one bad semester because my grandmother died during finals and I got 3 C's (the only ones I ever got). I did briefly explain in my essay and wasn't questioned about it at my DO interview. I was, however, questioned about it during MD interviews. They weren't as understanding, which is why I chose DO. I like how they are more forgiving about things that come up in our past. Just try to continue to show an upward trend. That is important.

You should be fine. Feel confindent!!! Good luck
550.gif
:luck:
550.gif
:luck:

Amy B said:
I agree with the posters, you should be fine. Make sure your personal statement is really great and talks about briefly any bad grades you have. An admissions director told me once, if they see a bad mark on a transcript, they go straight to the personal essay to see if the student briefly mentioned what happened.

Ya know, I never addressed my grades at all in my personal statement!! But I felt particularly inspired to take a totally different approach to my essay. I felt I could identify the very moment that I decided to re-apply after 7 or 8 years out of school. Of course, being that long out of school, I felt it was more important to address the question of "why now" instead of the "why did you flunk Calc II?"

Willow~