Opinions of Western COMP Year 3/4 Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrd5003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey COMPers,

A few questions about clinical rotations:

1) Do/Did you feel prepared to complete audition rotations during the fourth year after your third year training experience with COMP?

2) How does COMP assign you to a site? I have heard a lot of good things about Arrowhead in regards to volume and training opportunity but not much about the other hospitals. I would imagine many students want to rotate at Arrowhead, so are those with higher grades given preference? Or is it a random assignment?

3) Do COMP students perform fourth year elective rotations at the allopathic hospitals in LA, or are they given the shaft because they go to a DO school and are not part of the home institution? If you have done this or have secondhand knowledge of someone's experience with this, did it help with securing a desired residency?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate anything that will help me to realistically assess my options, which are COMP and PCOM. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious on this as well.

Hey COMPers,

A few questions about clinical rotations:

1) Do/Did you feel prepared to complete audition rotations during the fourth year after your third year training experience with COMP?

Deferred

2) How does COMP assign you to a site? I have heard a lot of good things about Arrowhead in regards to volume and training opportunity but not much about the other hospitals. I would imagine many students want to rotate at Arrowhead, so are those with higher grades given preference? Or is it a random assignment?

You are given a huge list of 'tracks' comprised of numerous combinations of hospital sites and order of rotations which you then rank. A computer then matches you to your top choices as best it can. Grades do not factor in at all. There are 2 hospitals on the current track list that require a minimum COMLEX score. If you don't rank enough tracks, you might be unfortunate enough to be assigned a random track if all of the tracks you ranked are already filled by the time the computer picks you.

3) Do COMP students perform fourth year elective rotations at the allopathic hospitals in LA, or are they given the shaft because they go to a DO school and are not part of the home institution? If you have done this or have secondhand knowledge of someone's experience with this, did it help with securing a desired residency?

4th year electives are done wherever you want, this includes allopathic hospitals in LA. I haven't heard of anyone getting the shaft. I can't comment on securing residency, I can only extrapolate that it might by virtue of doing audition rotations at said hospitals then applying for residency there.

Which hospitals offer ward-based rotations, like Arrowhead? I know that not all rotations third year are ward based. Also, how would you rank the other hospitals? I hear Arrowhead is #1, followed by Citrus Valley at 2 (in general). What about the others? Downey? RRMC? Long Beach?