opinions on board review courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scifiMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so there was post back in the day asking "what was the best board review course?" This post had no responses. So...

does anyone have opinions on any of the board review courses? (for example: UW vs Baylor?)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's a tough question because no one has taken more than one course (maybe two at the most) so it's hard to compare and contrast. As far as I know, most people go to the most geographically convenient location or if their residencies pay for one. There are plenty of people who don't take review courses and do fine.

I think that's a tough question because no one has taken more than one course (maybe two at the most) so it's hard to compare and contrast. As far as I know, most people go to the most geographically convenient location or if their residencies pay for one. There are plenty of people who don't take review courses and do fine.

I generally agree. There are logistical issues (availability of nearby affordable hotels/restaurants, cost of travel to the destination) that could/should likely be considered in this equation.

Since sharing of Board questions is a no-no, I wonder whether attendees would be willing to share/rate the handouts/lectures of the board review courses they attend.

That might be interesting.

PS: That might not be fun for any lecturers who read this forum. I remember being booed/hissed while giving a board review lecture, merely for suggesting that I thought it was legitimate to ask a resident to diagnose (obvious) hydrocephalus from a CT scan in the context of evaluation of a slow-to-recover patient during an oral board examination.

Agree w/ axm - no one can really compare one course with another. Someone would have had to take a review course, failed the boards, and then take a different review course in order to compare. Might be a little biased there. Or perhaps one of the older attendings who are up for MOC took a different review course. But then you would be comparing a current course with one ten years old. If I could recommend one thing, you might want to consider a review course that has an opportunity to participate in a mock oral – especially if your residency doesn’t provide this for you.

Since sharing of Board questions is a no-no, I wonder whether attendees would be willing to share/rate the handouts/lectures of the board review courses they attend.

That might be interesting.

Review courses are funny things. There are so many lecturers on so many varied topics, so there will be a great deal of variability on the quality of lectures and on the handouts. Some handouts are copies of the Power Point presentation, some are bare-bones outlines, and some are merely suggested reading lists.

PS: That might not be fun for any lecturers who read this forum. I remember being booed/hissed while giving a board review lecture, merely for suggesting that I thought it was legitimate to ask a resident to diagnose (obvious) hydrocephalus from a CT scan in the context of evaluation of a slow-to-recover patient during an oral board examination.

Wow – I’ve never been booed. I’ve been slammed on those anonymous post-lecture surveys, but never booed. I’ve also never had the audacity to boo a lecturer, a potential future colleague. How dare you ask a physician to diagnose something!;)