Opinions on board stimulator series?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harika93

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

For the people either using the BSS or have in the past - whats your opinion? I have two and a half months to go - is it worth it? Will I be able to do most of the questions?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Harika93 said:
Hey Guys

For the people either using the BSS or have in the past - whats your opinion? I have two and a half months to go - is it worth it? Will I be able to do most of the questions?

Thanks for all suggestions.
I liked it but I took alot of time to finish, with 2 months left I'd make sure to finish qbank first, then if time permiting start bss.

Long Dong said:
I liked it but I took alot of time to finish, with 2 months left I'd make sure to finish qbank first, then if time permiting start bss.

my friends said to leave Qbank till the end and do BSS now while studying these 2 months....

i am someone who needs to review and read books before i do the questions. Therefore, I realize BSS will be time consuming.

Any other opinions?

Thanks
Long Dong.

sorry, could someone clue me in on what the bss is? I'm kind of out of the loop...

but I am wondering whether to get the 3-month subscription to Q-bank (lots more $$) or try just to do the 1-month one (I don't take the boards til early June)...I guess it would be helpful to have the questions to look at throughout the whole time, though, right? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
closertofine said:
sorry, could someone clue me in on what the bss is?

BSS is a 5 volume set of questions each with 770 questions. 3 volumes are divided into organ systems and 2 test on normal and abnormal processes.

Long Dong (or anyone else who finished BSS),
I'll probably be pressed for time to complete the set...would it be better to finish the Body Systems Review (I-III) rather than the General Principles & Normal and Abnormal Processes?

BlackNDecker said:
BSS is a 5 volume set of questions each with 770 questions. 3 volumes are divided into organ systems and 2 test on normal and abnormal processes.

Long Dong (or anyone else who finished BSS),
I'll probably be pressed for time to complete the set...would it be better to finish the Body Systems Review (I-III) rather than the General Principles & Normal and Abnormal Processes?
Yes body systems review is better use of time then normal/abnormal, but if you are really short of time Qbook and Appleton and Lange question book might be even better.

Long Dong said:
Yes body systems review is better use of time then normal/abnormal, but if you are really short of time Qbook and Appleton and Lange question book might be even better.

Yeah, I've seen glowing reviews of the A&L question set. I am assuming you are referring to the Step I Question book? I bought the A&L Pathology book and I've been thoroughly disappointed with the quality of questions...most are single step reasoning and definition type questions.

Is the A&L Step I review book more on par with Qbank and Q book?

I'll have all of May and the 1st week in June to study, so I'm not terribly pressed for time...it's only when I imagine trying to finish all of the Question sets you recommended that I start to feel anxious :eek:

Do them all. I reccommend questions (I did 12K) as the primary study method, as thats what I learned from a professor (who will remain nameless).

The pros of BSS: much harder than the exam, excellent topic selection, good interface (on the CD)

The cons of BSS: ten years old, different format (i.e. no matching on the USMLE), probably a lot of extraneous info.

Do QBank primarily, also the Robbins Review questions are excellent and A+L are okay, supplement it with BSS if you want, it probably wont make or break you.