Opinions on changing majors!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smuwillobrien

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you know Computer Science and Mathematics majors who have successfully gotten into medical school? I've decided that the reason I keep asking whether I should major in Biology and Chemistry is really because I don't want to major in either. I've decided to finish my premedical prerequisites and start a completely new program. Here is how next year *could* look:

Ant 202.1 Introduction to Ethnology and Social Anthropology
Ant 271.1 Introduction to Archaeology
Che 344.1 Organic Chemistry I
Che 346.1 Organic Chemistry II
Mat 310.1 Intermediate Calculus I
Mat 311.1 Intermediate Calculus II
Mat 320.1 Linear Algebra I
Mat 321.1 Linear Algebra II
Csc 226.1 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming
Csc 227.1 Intermediate Programming and Problem Solving

Any comments related to a Mathematics and Computer Science major, these courses, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel you can do well in them (i.e. pull a 3.7 with those courses), then go for it

I'm going for a BBA while completing my pre med reqs. Everyone has always told me that you should take what you would take even if you had no intention of going to med school. So, that's what i'm doing. :) Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by smuwillobrien
I was just wondering if any of you know Computer Science and Mathematics majors who have successfully gotten into medical school? I've decided that the reason I keep asking whether I should major in Biology and Chemistry is really because I don't want to major in either. I've decided to finish my premedical prerequisites and start a completely new program. Here is how next year *could* look:

Any comments related to a Mathematics and Computer Science major, these courses, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I love computer science, wish I had done CS instead of biology. I went back after graduation and took 2 years of CS classes. It was awesome but it was more difficult than bio by orders of magnitude.

Originally posted by smuwillobrien

I'm graduating with CS and Neurobiology, and I'm heading to med school next year, so it's definitely possible. If you don't want to major in bio/chem, then don't!

The only thing to look out for is that CS courses are extremely time-consuming, and it's likely that your other grades will suffer because you have to spend so much time programming/debugging/beating your head against the wall.

Having finished though, I think that CS is much better preparation for medical school than bio or chem. Why? CS teaches you how to approach problems and how to think through possibilities to find solutions. Math is a little different in nature, since you learn more about abstraction than constrained problem solving, but it's good too.

As for your possible schedule, it sounds doable. Go for it! :thumbup: