Opinions on former EMS workers during MS3/MS4 clerkships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pericardium

CPR certified
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am about to start an EM rotation as a 3rd year elective. I have 4 years of experience in EMS as an EMT and paramedic. I am weary about letting anyone know that I was a former paramedic, because I don't want to be labeled as the annoying, know it all, cocky student. Does anyone (preferably residents/physicians) have any insight or opinions on how to best navigate this scenario, or whether or not I should keep this under wraps for my rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen EMT's who are cocky and I've seen those that are thirsty to learn more. Always stay thirsty, and you won't be annoying.

As a former paramedic, current EMS medical director, and director of prehospital education for our residency program, I usually find common ground with EMS personnel. So if you're working with an "EMS guy" that's part of the EMS faculty, then by all means, at some point let us know you're an EMT/paramedic.

Reactions: 4 users
I've seen EMT's who are cocky and I've seen those that are thirsty to learn more. Always stay thirsty, and you won't be annoying.

This. Be willing to learn. Also, be careful of any bad habits you may have picked up. Never failed, when a bad habit decided to show during an away rotation, it was in front of the assistant PD or one of the senior faculty. Overall, I tried to keep it under wraps unless something popped up like starting an IV or performing an EKG where used skills from the truck.

Don't be surprised when you get to interviews that you get asked "Are you teachable?", That came up in every one of mine last year and this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't tell anyone. Work hard. Ask questions that are appropriate. Never say "but we did it this way in..."
If your skills impress someone, they might ask your background. It's ok to tell them then. Still, don't get cocky.

The work that you did in EMS is VERY different than what you will be expected to know on your IM/surgery rotations.

I would keep the EMS knowledge you have in your back pocket. If it helps you on your rotations, then great, but I wouldn't put it out there that you are from EMS unless it explicitly comes up or is relevant.

I don't tell anyone when I'm on a rotation unless they ask me. Your past experiences can definitely help you, its all about how you spin it/use it. Not everyone loves EMS and some people view the field very negative so I think it's always better to just utilize the skills you have and let that shine rather than to announce what you used to do.

Also, hi! I love finding other students who were involved in EMS before med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep it in your back pocket. Work hard, don't brag. Feel free to bring it up casually to EMS faculty if you're working with them.

Otherwise it's no big deal. I was in the same boat.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't tell anyone. Work hard. Ask questions that are appropriate. Never say "but we did it this way in..."
If your skills impress someone, they might ask your background. It's ok to tell them then. Still, don't get cocky.

This. It came out in every EM rotation I did as people would watch me do a procedure or inquire how many I’ve done, and ask about my background. If you are chatting with an EMS person or it comes up in conversation I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not something you have to hide so don’t be evasive, just don’t be obnoxious.
And try not to get too caught up in doing things like EKGs and IVs. It’s nice when it’s needed (nurses are struggling and the task was going to fall to a resident, or you are short handed and you just do what is needed in a critical situation-like hook someone up to the monitor), but it shouldn’t distract you from what you are there to do, which is learn emergency medicine.

I only ever bring it up when someone calls attention to it (like in regards to correctly doing chest compressions and stuff). Mostly I smiled and acted interested when people told me things I already knew (like how to use a BVM) because I didn't want to be that guy who thinks he knows everything, especially when I wasn't in the ED.

I have a former RN friend who starts IVs and does lab draws while doing his H&Ps in the ED, which makes the nurses happy and impresses some of the attendings. He also does some of the difficult sticks in the department while he's there. I try to fly more casually than that but your mileage may vary.

Agree with the above.

The biggest benefit in my opinion is being able to help out the nurses when things get busy with multiple sick patients.

Every once and while a bad DKA will sneak past triage and if the nurses are busy it might take 20-30min for them to get to the bedside. Instead of pulling them away from what they're doing I'll usually just pop in 2 18s, draw labs, and start running fluids while I'm talking to the patient. Saves everyone time and keeps the department running smoothly.