Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

opinions on georgetown md/phd?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by MSTP?, Jul 24, 2006.

1. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

Hi all -

I search intransit, now mdphds.org and I didn't find any reviews of the Georgetown MD/PhD Program. I was wondering if anyone knew much beyond their website - ie interviewed there, is current a student there, knows someone's cousin's sister's ex-boyfriend who visited once, etc - and had an opinion or two about the program.

Thanks,

MSTP - trying to decide on if I should fill out the secondary . . .

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

Anyone? Por favor!

4. BozoSparky

Attending Physician
    well, what kind of laboratory would you like to work in? are there georgetown labs you find yourself particularly attracted to?

5. MSTP?

MSTP? Senior Member

I´ve alreadly looked up labs. I´m mainly concerned with the administration - some schools seem to have programs that go above and beyond (u penn, wash u) in welcoming students and coordinating the bureaucratic hassle that is md-phd, others seem to do very little (harvard), and this usually is evident in interview process/second look weekend, etc. Also, some schools with good md (top 20ish), have an excellent mstp reputations. I was just wondering what the general consensus/gut feeling was about Georgetown as a program. I´ve found some great stuff on intransit about many of the programs (all seem to be rather unique), but nothing on Georgetown.

6. BozoSparky

Attending Physician
    i didn't do the mstp thing, but you are smart for looking for an administration that will take care of you! i went to cornell for graduate school (chemistry) and they were fantastic. i never worried...everyone was professional and extremely helpful. anyway, hope someone has some info. do you know any mstps from georgetown...maybe the school can put you into contact with a student or two.

sparky

7. Shatterstar17

Shatterstar17 Member

On my primary I listed Georgetown. Though I don't remember my reasoning at the time, I don't remember them having a particularly impressive program. They definitely don't have an MSTP grant, but there are some great programs out there without them. DC's a wonderful city (I'm living there now) but, well...keep asking, but if you want a larger established program that will help you make it work, it doesn't sound like Georgetown is it. Of course I could be wrong. :confused: