Opinions on Kaplan Step 1 Homestudy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fireboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is willing to share his or her experience with the Kaplan homeprep material?

Particularly, is too detailed for the actual exam?

Is it any better than more the less expensive prep books available?

Any other pertinent info??

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked it a lot. It was too detailed in places, and in others it was hard to understand, but for the most part it had excellent coverage of all the topics you need in one place. I suplemented with other books as needed, but didn't have to pick out a new book for every subject like some of my classmates. It has wide margins that are perfect for taking notes. My method was to mark information pretty exhaustively into the margins (aided memory and allowed for easy review), then marked up First Aid from those, then spent the last few days reviewing FA. I did really well on the exam (>250).

As far as expense, see if you can't get it cheaper used from one of the upperclassmen. I paid full freight, and it was worth it, but one of my classmates found a set at about 1/4 the cost in new condition.

Best,
Anka