howtomedicine

5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2014
Cross-posted from the non-traditional forum.
I wanted to see if you guys had any input on my LoR situation. Currently, I am a 2018 applicant, a few days away from verification as I had submitted my primary on July 24. I have been out of school for 3 years now, and during my process of trying to obtain LoR's, I was only able to receive 1 from a science professor, and 1 from a non-science professor. I also have 1 letter of recommendation from the physician who I have been working as a medical assistant for, and he is associated with a medical college, and I was considering adding in a fourth LoR from the clinic's office manager.

However, I understand that most schools require 2 LoRs from science professors, and 1 from a non-science professor. I am gearing up to write/call the schools I have applied to in order to ask if they would be able to waive the requirement as I am non-traditional. My undergraduate school does have a committee which offers letters for alumni, but I opted to get individual letters as I strongly felt that individual letters would better illustrate my strengths. I understand that I will need to explain this, and was wondering if that was going to be a strong enough of a reason.

Do you guys have any advice on what I should do?

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Some schools have a more lenient policy regarding LOR for non-trad applicants. Usually it's stated on their website. But I would call the school and make sure that is okay.

Second, I'm afraid you are obligated to use the committee letter. To my understanding, schools ONLY accept individual letters UNLESS there's no committee.

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Some schools have a more lenient policy regarding LOR for non-trad applicants. Usually it's stated on their website. But I would call the school and make sure that is okay.

Second, I'm afraid you are obligated to use the committee letter. To my understanding, schools ONLY accept individual letters UNLESS there's no committee.
That is a bit too absolute

While the expectation at most schools are 2 science letters, many have change their strict requirements as such

While most schools require, recommend or prefer committee letter, an alumni who is 3 years out is not going to br obligated as such to get it. At this late date just go with what you got. Ita a bit late for pros and cons on this

OP
howtomedicine

howtomedicine

5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2014
Thank you for the advice!