Opinions on my Gap Year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

responsible_cookie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

I would really like opinions on what I should do.

BACKGROUND INFO: Im finishing my junior year of college, and I'm graduating this month. I was planning on applying this cycle to med schools, but because of COVID-19, I (like many others) had my MCAT cancelled, so I'm worried about my dampened chances. I'm leaning to possibly apply next year instead. Now, I've been thinking of applying to PA school as well (not as a backup, I've shadowed both and I could really see myself as either MD or PA), but didn't consider it before COVID-19. I would definitely pick MD over PA but I would honestly be happy as either.

THE OPTIONS:
1 ) Americorps - This is what i was initially going to do. I'm applying for it currently. I have been looking forward to serving with them forever, but my entire year would be dedicated to community service. I already have 1000+ hours of volunteering, with 300-400 of it being with underserved populations in my local city. I don't know how much Americorps would boost this section of my application, but I'd love to do it.

2 ) Go back to school and finish PA pre-reqs & continue same ECs. I have a 3.80 GPA and 3.71 sGPA, so it could help my GPA for both PA/med. I'd need 1 semester and be taking Anatomy, Human Physiology, Microbiology, and Developmental Psychology. I don't know how much this one would help either, but I could apply for PA school after.
I would continue research on the side (I've done it for all 3 years but no pubs, only one poster) and keep volunteering.

Which one would you pick for me?? Or something else entirely?

Members don't see this ad.

An MCAT cancellation due to the pandemic should NOT be the reason you postpone your application by a year. Take it as soon as you can once the pandemic ends. Many medical schools have released statements saying that they are going to be adjusting their review process next cycle to accomodate the students who had their MCAT cancelled. If you think there are other reasons to take a gap year, then by all means, but don't let COVID-19 be the only reason.

As for what to do in your gap year, you should do something that would either address a weak point in your application, or something that would be personally fulfilling to you, such as Americorps.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors