opinions on my major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fairly early on in the process and am trying to decide which route to take. I have been planning on a BS in Biochem, minor in biology. Recently, I've been thinking that maybe a different major other than the usual biology and chemistry might help set me apart. I've always been interested in Anthropology so I've been thinking about majoring in that while also being sure to have all the prereqs complete as well. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

All majors have similar acceptance rates. Lots of non-science majors get accepted, so becoming an anthro major won't be unique enough to help you much. Major in whatever you are interested in and can do well in, as long as you get the prereqs and recommended classes in. Keep in mind that if you change your mind about medicine, an anthropology major won't help you much when you try to find employment after college.

I am fairly early on in the process and am trying to decide which route to take. I have been planning on a BS in Biochem, minor in biology.

Recently, I've been thinking that maybe a different major other than the usual biology and chemistry might help set me apart.
I would not change for that reason
I've always been interested in Anthropology so I've been thinking about majoring in that while also being sure to have all the prereqs complete as well. Any thoughts?
If you think you're more likely to get a better GPA in the subject because you're more interested in it, then that would be a better reason to change. But as stated above, think about what you would do with a degree in anthropology if you don't match.

Also, I wouldn't overstate the value of a different major. I don't see the adcoms jumping for joy when the see an anthro major vs a bio or chem major. It's interesting, but not THAT interesting (from an adcom perspective). It will not make up for mediocre grades/scores/lack of research/lack of ECs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
All majors have similar acceptance rates. Lots of non-science majors get accepted, so becoming an anthro major won't be unique enough to help you much. Major in whatever you are interested in and can do well in, as long as you get the prereqs and recommended classes in. Keep in mind that if you change your mind about medicine, an anthropology major won't help you much when you try to find employment after college.

:thumbup:
This.

Thanks for your feedback. I wouldn't be majoring in Antropology just becuase I thought it would look better, but because I'm very interested in the subject. I don't really need to worry about if I don't get in as I'm already an RN. Still not sure what my plan is at this point, they are both interesting fields.

If you do what interests you, there is a better chance you will study more... so there's a better chance you will get A's. The more A's you get, the better your resume is.... the better your resume, the better chance of medical school. Seems like an easy solution to me.

So my vote is also do what interests you, your performance is likely to be better when you're engaged with the material.

Here's my caveat though, I think you should also pick something that offers employment opportunities if you don't go to medical school right away or wind up not getting accepted when you hope.

So my vote is also do what interests you, your performance is likely to be better when you're engaged with the material.

Here's my caveat though, I think you should also pick something that offers employment opportunities if you don't go to medical school right away or wind up not getting accepted when you hope.

This is sound advice. Though, op is already an rn correct? Nontrads already have backup careers!

Actually various majors have widely differing acceptance rates. However, what is common across all majors is the tight range grade/scores of matriculating 1st year medical students with sGPA = 3.6, cGPA = 3.7 and MCAT or 30.

link to Acceptance Rate by Major

There isn't enough variation to worry about. Except for specialized health majors there's only an 8% difference in acceptance rates. Such small variation isn't enough to worry about when choosing a major.

I bet that minor in biology will be more helpful to you as an anthro major than if you're already majoring in biochem.

I bet that minor in biology will be more helpful to you as an anthro major than if you're already majoring in biochem.

Indeed. I'm an anthropology major myself but now that I've turned pre-med I wish I had minored in biology and took more biological anthropology courses like osteology and methods in skeletal biology. If you're going with the biological anthropology route, a biology minor compliments it well.

An anthropology degree might make you stand out a tiny, tiny bit, but most of all I would recommend majoring in whatever interests you the most and therefore allows for you to perform better academically.

LOL funny thread for me as I actually have degrees in both anthropology and biochem. I can tell you this- my biochem program was a LOT tougher in every way.