• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Opinions on my schedule for next semester

PistonFan531

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
  1. Pharmacist
    Okay here is the plan for the winter semester:

Microbio at CC (professor is believed to be very easy)
    A&P II at CC (professor is believed to be very easy)
    Physics 2 at University (professor is believed to be very easy)
    Oral Communication at University

Do you guys think that this is too much?

alenadoma

10+ Year Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    1. Pharmacy Student

No, I think this is very doable. Microbio is easy as long as you keep up with the information, same with Physics 2. Anatomy and Physio will require a lot of work..again, doable as long as you keep up.
      And oral communication is a blow off class I think, unless you really hate public speaking.
      I think this is a good courseload for a semester.

About the Ads

yiwen615

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 25, 2007
      1. Pre-Pharmacy
        Your goal shouldn't be aimed at "getting the A" in you pre-req classes. Try looking for professors that will prepare you for the challenges of pharmacy school.

Btw, your course schedule should be very doable if, like you said, the professors are "very easy."

TTUMike

Accepted Pharmacy Student
        10+ Year Member
        Mar 11, 2008
        1. Pre-Pharmacy

Looks like a fairly easy schedule to me. Micro and A&P are straight memorization, physics is not too difficult if you keep up, and oral communications is easy if you don't mind speeches and papers. Hopefully you don't have my oral communications class which was basically intro to theatre.

thephoenician88

wat.
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Mar 23, 2008
          1. Pre-Pharmacy

too much?

i'm taking that same schedule, except im' not taking oral communication, i'm taking biochemistry II....and no, my professors are not "very easy"

you have an easy semester.

cuedee

10+ Year Member
            Mar 22, 2007
            1. Pharmacist

Your schedule is fine. Just keep up on your physics homework.

xscpx

10+ Year Member
              Oct 21, 2008
              Tampa, Florida
              1. Other Health Professions Student

Its a very easy term. More so importantly, you should be more concerned with learning than an easy A. Getting straight A's then failing out of pharm school would not be good.

xshooshix

10+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                May 10, 2007
                1. Pre-Pharmacy
                  I remember going to the prospective pharmacy school meeting and Michael has mentioned that taking more than two science prequisite classes at a community college isn't a good idea. I just find it odd that you're going to a CC WHILE you go to Wayne in one semester... I know admissions like to prefer their own students. What are you going to do when they question this during your interview? They are going to have your file in front of them.

Oral Comm at Wayne is not walk in the park, I might add. I've had friends who say they should have taken it at a CC, because of the amount of work they put.

xscpx

10+ Year Member
                  Oct 21, 2008
                  Tampa, Florida
                  1. Other Health Professions Student
                    I remember going to the prospective pharmacy school meeting and Michael has mentioned that taking more than two science prequisite classes at a community college isn't a good idea. I just find it odd that you're going to a CC WHILE you go to Wayne in one semester... I know admissions like to prefer their own students. What are you going to do when they question this during your interview? They are going to have your file in front of them.

Oral Comm at Wayne is not walk in the park, I might add. I've had friends who say they should have taken it at a CC, because of the amount of work they put.

I think it depends on your reason. I am taking Organic I and II at the local CC because the class cap is 20 (as opposed to nearly 300 at my university) and the professor is really great. (as in he actually teaches) I can't see adcoms faulting you for wanting to learn better.

However....trying to take the "easy" way out is another story

xshooshix

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    May 10, 2007
                    1. Pre-Pharmacy
                      I think it depends on your reason. I am taking Organic I and II at the local CC because the class cap is 20 (as opposed to nearly 300 at my university) and the professor is really great. (as in he actually teaches) I can't see adcoms faulting you for wanting to learn better.

However....trying to take the "easy" way out is another story
                      The latter of which you mentioned is quite evident here.

The professors are actually VERY good at Wayne, they have a reputation to be difficult, but they are VERY good at what they do. They do it for a reason so that by the semester ends, you still remember the information. Unlike some professors, they drill the information into your head and teach you how to study as they do not spoon feed the curriculum. I'm not criticizing the user, I was trying to give him helpful advice on what our school expects from the applicants.

But I understand where he is coming from... I decided to apply to Wayne at the last minute last year and rushed on my prereqs at Wayne State last winter, hence it could be an indication why he took the 'easy' way out.

Just for fun, my schedule last winter... like you, I took three sciences, only I didn't have the advantage of a CC.

Orgo II B+
                      Orgo II lab A
                      Biology 1500 w lab B+
                      Physics I B+
                      Statistics A

There you go... and let me tell you I took Orgo II with Andreana, who has a reputation for being very difficult, so I studied my ass off because I wanted to be one of the very few who did not fail the class.

BTW... if you go to Wayne's Pharmacy website, they are not accepting any physiology (which I assume is A&P II) classes from CC, only from 4-year colleges.

purplepower

10+ Year Member
                      Oct 14, 2008
                      in the South
                      1. Pharmacy Student
                        I would just make sure every school you are applying to or thinking of applying to is going to accept the cc credit.

I am taking physics at a cc because it is cheaper, and the schools don't seem to mind it being from a cc whereas the bio./chem. they get a bit pickier on.

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.