vdreyes12

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
Hey all!

So I am currently trying to figure out what schools I should apply to based on stuff in the MSAR. I have one more quarter left at UCD, so the GPA below is without my last two quarter grades. Do any of you have any input? Thanks!

Stats:
Cum GPA: 3.90
BCPM GPA: 3.91
MCAT: 36R
4 years intern experience at a free clinic
~2 years clinical research experience w/ Neurology and ER studies
4 years in a community service org that does weekly programs for the community of Davis (currently President)
1 year tutoring at on-campus tutoring center
currently employed as an Kaplan MCAT teacher (for year off)
~0.5 year lab experience but quit b/c didnt like lab research
These are my major activities...

Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey all!

So I am currently trying to figure out what schools I should apply to based on stuff in the MSAR. I have one more quarter left at UCD, so the GPA below is without my last two quarter grades. Do any of you have any input? Thanks!

Stats:
4 years in a community service org that does weekly programs for the community of Davis (currently President)
G.P.A: Stellar
M.C.A.T: Really, really good, although not stellar (for top 15)
E.Cs: Clinical: Very Good. Volunteering: Very Good. Research: Great, not stellar

I'm assuming you will have great LOR's. If you do, you will be set at almost all schools (with the exception of the top 15- always a crapshoot) That said, you should apply to the following:

Stanford
Yale
Georgetown
Emory
U of Chicago
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Tufts
U of Michigan
Mayo
Washington U
Dartmouth
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case
Western
U of Pennsylvania
U of Pittsburgh
Brown Vanderbilt

Add in UMaryland and UVA, as well as Boston U. Ivies are reaches for everyone, including you, but the rest are matches/safeties for you. You will get into at least one of these schools, I'm positive, as long as you don't mess up the interview. Good luck!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Carib... your scores are really below average your mcat needs to be at least 46 Z.

But seriously, for you I'd say. Apply to 10 mid tier schools and then the top tiers schools.

vdreyes12

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
G.P.A: Stellar
M.C.A.T: Really, really good, although not stellar (for top 15)
E.Cs: Clinical: Very Good. Volunteering: Very Good. Research: Great, not stellar

I'm assuming you will have great LOR's. If you do, you will be set at almost all schools (with the exception of the top 15- always a crapshoot) That said, you should apply to the following:

Stanford
Yale
Georgetown
Emory
U of Chicago
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Tufts
U of Michigan
Mayo
Washington U
Dartmouth
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Case
Western
U of Pennsylvania
U of Pittsburgh
Brown Vanderbilt

Add in UMaryland and UVA, as well as Boston U. Ivies are reaches for everyone, including you, but the rest are matches/safeties for you. You will get into at least one of these schools, I'm positive, as long as you don't mess up the interview. Good luck!
How about my chances for the UCs, particularly UCSF (that's my dream school)?

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
If you had picked any other UC, I would had great stats and, assuming youa re-instate, you'd be a shoe-in. For UCSF, you're research is a tad bit lacking in my opinion, but you still have a very good shot.

How about my chances for the UCs, particularly UCSF (that's my dream school)?

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you had picked any other UC, I would had great stats and, assuming youa re-instate, you'd be a shoe-in. For UCSF, you're research is a tad bit lacking in my opinion, but you still have a very good shot.
I concur...

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey all!

Stats:
You have a very strong app....except for research schools.

Apply at will.....

WestKelvin

7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hahaha cool dude I am from UCD too, I wish I have your stats, seems like you have a very good shot at all schools. Are you teaching in the Davis MCAT center? Apply to all schools in California and you will definitely get in! Which club are you in as a president and which clinic you volunteer in?

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Baylor is a bang-for-your-buck school once you get in-state residency (out-of-state is actually very affordable too). More generous than the other Texas schools in terms of seats for non-Texans. So, if you could see yourself living in Texas, BCM is an economical alternative to those ultra-competitive UCs. Obviously, my opinion is biased...

vdreyes12

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
Hahaha cool dude I am from UCD too, I wish I have your stats, seems like you have a very good shot at all schools. Are you teaching in the Davis MCAT center? Apply to all schools in California and you will definitely get in! Which club are you in as a president and which clinic you volunteer in?
Yep! I'm currently finishing up training in Davis and should start teaching officially in spring quarter. I'm president of HELP (its a small, student run club that started up a few years ago but we do a lot of stuff in Davis) and in Clinica Tepati :)