Opinions on my U of M Ann Arbor Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But then how big of a difference is it taking Gen Chem and Orgo if I'll be stuck in Gen Chem with a boatload of other kids who got 5's on the exam?
I mean, I don't know your confidence level w/ the Gen Chem material but I guarantee you that the people who are going to be in Orgo first semester will be the gunners who don't know any better (i.e. they don't know that they probably should have taken Gen Chem again).

I would liken it to, say, being in a 10k versus your first half marathon. Even if you're doing the 10k with a lot of people who already did 10k's in the past, at the very worst you'll end up at the front of the pack past the people who have never run a race before (i.e. people who didn't take AP). If you take the marathon, though, you're only familiar with the beginning 6.2 miles but then you quickly realize that its more than you anticipated.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys orgo is not that hard as a freshman. He sounds like a clear-headed kid who knows he has to work hard. If all goes wrong he can drop the course and then take it the regular route as a sophomore. Either way skipping gen chem is a good idea because you can use biochem later on to make up for the gen chem credit (also to the person who keeps worrying OP will get screwed by not having gen chem – this is the answer I've given already). Wasting a year on gen chem for the minor sGPA boost is dumb.

Omg my phone needs to stop autocorrecting "chem." chem chem chem chem chem chem chem there we go it should learn it by now. chem chem

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop asking if you can "4.0 orgo." That literally makes no sense and you sound like a high schooler. You get letter grades in classes, not GPAs. You should be asking how to get an "A in orgo."

OP is a high schooler :p

Guys orgo is not that hard as a freshman. He sounds like a clear-headed kid who knows he has to work hard. If all goes wrong he can drop the course and then take it the regular route as a sophomore. Either way skipping gen chem is a good idea because you can use biochem later on to make up for the gen chem credit (also to the person who keeps worrying OP will get screwed by not having gen chem – this is the answer I've given already). Wasting a year on gen chem for the minor sGPA boost is dumb.

Omg my phone needs to stop autocorrecting "chem." chem chem chem chem chem chem chem there we go it should learn it by now. chem chem
The reason why I'm hesitant with recommending Orgo right out of the box comes from one main source--OP says that he went to an "underserved public school" where he didn't feel challenged by classes. That doesn't give me the best reassurance about how prepared his/her school has made him/her for the subject. Definitely agree about the clear-headedness, but the fact remains that his/her high school could be nothing like the college level.

I'm saying this out of a place of genuine concern and respect because I went to a decent/very good public high school and then to a rigorous private school and still had to get adjusted to the college level (like most people do!).

Edit: also yes I remember my days in Gen Chen fondly. Biochenistry was even better. O-Chen though.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a heads up, organic chemistry has a pre-determined scale at U of M.

If I remember correctly, 80-100 is the A- to A range, and 60-80 is the B- to B+ range.

Also, forget the horror stories you've heard about organic chem. It's taught very well at U of M, and you'll be provided with a ton of resources.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

I'm a freshman headed to U of M from an underserved public school, meaning I wasn't challenged very much. The only class I found somewhat challenging was BC Calculus, and that was because I didn't spend too much time studying anything. Anyways, I tested out of General Chemistry from my AP Chemistry knowledge, so I'm headed straight for Organic Chemistry. When I scheduled my classes, I scheduled Organic Chemistry with the lab, Gen Bio, Psych, and Sociology. I've been informed by numerous students that I have a good professor for Orgo. Anyways, do you guys think this is too much of a courseload? It's 17 credits and I'm commuting from 30 minutes away. I'm also going to look around for research positions to get one ASAP. I've been told that if I want to 4.0 my first semester, then I should switch Gen Bio around with English 125 to make it easier. Am I also on the right track to make it to medical school with this schedule? Will taking Organic Chemistry my first semester make my application a bit more interesting?

Thank you :)

U of M senior here. I did Orgo I, physics 14o, and econ 101 for my first semester freshman year. It wasn't fun. I'm assuming you are taking Orgo I with Capolla, bio 171, psych 111 and Soc 100? Honestly, you should be fine. psych and soc are easy enough if you stay on top of it, and Orgo is manageable with all of the courses you listed. Just learn to prioritize well, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR WORK, and definitely do not treat your non-Orgo classes as blow off classes. You'll feel really dumb if you get a B+ in 111. Trust me :/

Also, don't take pysch with Grayson. And don't play beerpong in the dorms.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I recommend getting Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. Since you still have a few weeks left before classes start, briefly go over the book and familiarize yourself with some of the major concepts. This should better prepare you for the class and make your transition to college less stressful.

OP, I recommend getting Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. Since you still have a few weeks left before classes start, briefly go over the book and familiarize yourself with some of the major concepts. This should better prepare you for the class and make your transition to college less stressful.
That book was the best, always recommended it to my Orgo tutorees

Oh yeah, Michigan will write a letter to med schools stating that they tested out of general chem, so you may not even have to take an extra class. I took my chem courses when I was still in HS so I didn't do it. But I can ask one of my friends who did if all of their med schools accepted the letter or whatever they send.

Members don't see this ad :)
U of M senior here. I did Orgo I, physics 14o, and econ 101 for my first semester freshman year. It wasn't fun. I'm assuming you are taking Orgo I with Capolla, bio 171, psych 111 and Soc 100? Honestly, you should be fine. psych and soc are easy enough if you stay on top of it, and Orgo is manageable with all of the courses you listed. Just learn to prioritize well, STAY ON TOP OF YOUR WORK, and definitely do not treat your non-Orgo classes as blow off classes. You'll feel really dumb if you get a B+ in 111. Trust me :/

Also, don't take pysch with Grayson. And don't play beerpong in the dorms.

Good luck.

I'll be taking Orgo 1 with Coppola, Psych 111 with Perlmutter, and Soc 100 with Felipe Sfeir-Younis. I still have yet to replace my biology class with something much easier. I'm hoping on switching it with English 125. I'll try not to play beerpong in the dorms, no promises though.

Started the book. Orgo 1 concepts look very similar to what I learned in AP Chem. Don't want to speak too soon though. Thank you very much for the suggestion, at least I can now have a head start on what I'll see in the class.

If things don't work out like planned, I'll drop it. It won't go on my transcript.

Started the book. Orgo 1 concepts look very similar to what I learned in AP Chem. Don't want to speak too soon though. Thank you very much for the suggestion, at least I can now have a head start on what I'll see in the class.
Make sure you get a hold of the second semester book as well. Regarding course content, very little of what is covered in AP Chemistry is present in Orgo. Good luck with your freshman year. Just remember to take it easy once and a while - for the most part, things will only get busier, and you don't want to burn out.

Lol that's because they review gen chem for you before getting started on the orgo. Nothing about the two subjects are even remotely similar

Orgo 1 will take up a lot of time if you want it done right. Psych 111 should be easy, Soc 100 should also be easy, as long as you have a mind for memorization and keep up with the material. But I don't know for sure. Of the three, I only took Orgo since I used AP cred for Psych and didn't have to take Soc for pre-2015 MCATs.

English 125 is polarizing though, from what I've heard. If you are big on books, reading, and writing, it is no problem. But if you have never taken AP English or a tough humanities class, beware. You might be math- or science-smart, but UM humanities classes will bend your brain and test your patience if you have never learned to think analytically about arts before.

Basically your schedule now look okay to me. Just remember to maintain a balance between STEM and non-STEM classes so that you become the well-rounded person med schools are looking for, and you get around to all the LSA graduation requirements (foreign language, Race/Diversity, etc.). Also, leave yourself some free time so you can volunteer or go out and see a movie at the State or something.

Two things:

1. The statement "orgo is not that hard as a freshman" is completely useless because of how much it varies from school to school. My orgo class was about 80 people and the prof made a point to tell us he would only give out 5 A's maximum. There were also no + or - for that class, so if you weren't top 5 in the class, you get a B or lower. He also reserved the right to give out less A's if he felt (below 88% meant no A for you). From the sounds of it, orgo at Mich isn't too bad, but this certainly is not the case everywhere and at some schools (like mine) freshmen will struggle just to pass.

2. Skipping gen chem is only a good idea if either the class is not an 'easy A' or if you really are taking so many science courses that 8 extra credits won't significantly affect your GPA (I'd say 60+ science credits). Let's say OP took 60 credits, somehow managed to pull solid A's in everything other than biochem in which he gets 2 B's. Let's also assume he's at a typical school where each class is 4 credits. If you do the math, it would drop him from his 4.0 to a 3.86. A .14 drop in GPA is definitely not insignificant, and I would not consider 2 easy A's in a science course a wast of a year.

One last thing to keep in mind, different schools use different parameters when selecting their students. Some will place a huge amount of weight on the MCAT or a single GPA aspect, while some will highly value a well-rounded applicant. OP doesn't know what the med schools that he will eventually apply to will look at, so the little things like 8 chem credits worth of A's can end up making a difference, even if it is only a small one.

Two things:

1. The statement "orgo is not that hard as a freshman" is completely useless because of how much it varies from school to school. My orgo class was about 80 people and the prof made a point to tell us he would only give out 5 A's maximum. There were also no + or - for that class, so if you weren't top 5 in the class, you get a B or lower. He also reserved the right to give out less A's if he felt (below 88% meant no A for you). From the sounds of it, orgo at Mich isn't too bad, but this certainly is not the case everywhere and at some schools (like mine) freshmen will struggle just to pass.

2. Skipping gen chem is only a good idea if either the class is not an 'easy A' or if you really are taking so many science courses that 8 extra credits won't significantly affect your GPA (I'd say 60+ science credits). Let's say OP took 60 credits, somehow managed to pull solid A's in everything other than biochem in which he gets 2 B's. Let's also assume he's at a typical school where each class is 4 credits. If you do the math, it would drop him from his 4.0 to a 3.86. A .14 drop in GPA is definitely not insignificant, and I would not consider 2 easy A's in a science course a wast of a year.

One last thing to keep in mind, different schools use different parameters when selecting their students. Some will place a huge amount of weight on the MCAT or a single GPA aspect, while some will highly value a well-rounded applicant. OP doesn't know what the med schools that he will eventually apply to will look at, so the little things like 8 chem credits worth of A's can end up making a difference, even if it is only a small one.
I made my first point with the clear knowledge that OP is talking about UMich, where the difficulty of classes is comparable to my own school (they definitely have larger class sizes, though). What you're saying isn't even school to school; it's a professor to professor difference and OP will just have to feel for himself, but he already has reliable intel that his prof is great. I stand by my recommendation.

You gave a terrible example. A GPA swing of .15 is absolutely insignificant unless it puts you under a 3.7, probably even 3.6ish for MD. SDN is way too numbers focused. Past a certain point, the numbers are all the same. The difference between a 3.95 and 3.8 is literally zero and it will never make a difference in admissions. People just do not understand enough about the rest of the admissions evaluation process, so they end up blaming everything on GPA/MCAT and we get these ridiculous notions of what is competitive. I've never heard a non-student on this site say otherwise. High GPAs are high GPAs. You're right – he runs the risk of putting himself below that magic threshold if he turns out to be a regular 3.6-3.7 student. But he can drop, and we reminded him to know when to bail already. This is a win-no gain situation.

Also, I'd love to know the performance outcomes (especially on the MCAT) of those who took reasonable academic challenges throughout undergrad versus those who "played it safe" all the time and went with transcript padding As whenever they could. It should be rather telling.

OP, what are you planning to major in?

Biology. Everyone is telling me to switch, but when I looked at the data for the U of M Med students who were accepted last year, 20% of them were bio majors.

I'll be taking Orgo 1 with Coppola, Psych 111 with Perlmutter, and Soc 100 with Felipe Sfeir-Younis. I still have yet to replace my biology class with something much easier. I'm hoping on switching it with English 125. I'll try not to play beerpong in the dorms, no promises though.

Perlmutter is the one you want. I had Younis, his tests are harder than the other professor since he usually teaches upper level soc classes, but at the end of the day, it's still soc 100. Bio/Orgo isn't that bad if you can't switch so don't worry about it too much. Also if you are taking the CMB or Neuroscience route I recommend getting into research as early as possible. You can work in your lab for credit and usually the professors give you an A if you just show up and do everything you are supposed to. It also counts toward your science GPA and you can take it every semester for 6 semesters. Get the course pack for Orgo and actually do it.

Don't play beer pong in the dorms because our DPS officer told us that's how he always caught us. Luckily he was chill and we weren't dinguses, so he never wrote us up, even though I got caught like six times...

Biology. Everyone is telling me to switch, but when I looked at the data for the U of M Med students who were accepted last year, 20% of them were bio majors.
Oh gawd. If 20% of people who were accepted drank Gatorade 4 times a week, would you go and do that too? Bio majors are always going to be the most prominent because most people who apply are biology majors. Med schools do not have any particular liking for bio majors. When your pool is 60-80% bio majors, obviously that major is going to be seen a lot.

Do not major in biology. You will be doing biology-related things for the rest of your life as a physician. Also, being a regular science kid gives you ZERO options if you don't get into med school. Look at some of the threads here where rejected reapplicants are looking for "job options." They end up with pathetic positions because they have no skills besides 1) studying and 2) gaming the application process. Less intense/more interesting major = higher grades = higher interest level = better performance in everything. You won't understand this now, but you sure will in a year or two.

Last edited:
Also major in whatever you want. More bio majors were accepted because more pre meds major in bio.

Michigan alum 2014 here. Worked in admissions here for a year. It is the dumbest thing ever to post this thread on a site where most of the responses will be from people not at Michigan. Also, relax a little about med school. You'll burn out before the hard stuff.

You went to an underserved HS and I can assure you the shock of those four, four-credit classes will be hard on you. The worst thing you can do is bomb first semester and spend the rest of the time in college making up for it. Most med school's want to see you take the course at college level, not AP. I would recommend keeping Bio 171/172, swapping orgo for Chem 130 OR Eng 124/125. Keeping either psych or soc, but saving the other for closer to your MCAT since it is a large component of the new test. Save Orgo 1 for second semester and Orgo II for Spring Term or Fall 2016.

Also, you don't need to be a Bio major. Almost all my friends in who were pre-med were BCN, Neuro, another kind of Bio, or a social science like me. Spend time figuring out what you want and calm down.

2. Skipping gen chem is only a good idea if either the class is not an 'easy A'
To get somewhat back on topic. Gen chem and p. chem here are considered pretty hard classes, and it makes a lot of sense to spend that time doing research for credit instead (unless you don't like research of course). Still get the A, the research looks good on apps, and it's (sometimes) less stress than Gen Chem could be.

You went to an underserved HS and I can assure you the shock of those four, four-credit classes will be hard on you. The worst thing you can do is bomb first semester and spend the rest of the time in college making up for it. Most med school's want to see you take the course at college level, not AP. I would recommend keeping Bio 171/172, swapping orgo for Chem 130 OR Eng 124/125. Keeping either psych or soc, but saving the other for closer to your MCAT since it is a large component of the new test. Save Orgo 1 for second semester and Orgo II for Spring Term or Fall 2016..

I agree with most of this, except that in my experience, out of the people I know who did take 130 here, about half said that they felt orgo was easier and vis versa. I took my gen chem classes at a different university so I don't know much about 130. But the english switch makes more sense if you're going to switch at all.

I agree with most of this, except that in my experience, out of the people I know who did take 130 here, about half said that they felt orgo was easier and vis versa. I took my gen chem classes at a different university so I don't know much about 130. But the english switch makes more sense if you're going to switch at all.
I guess if you're a math person orgo might be easier. For me, gen chem was.

Coming from a school where you weren't challenged = no study skills. Orgo is a bear and gen bio can be hard too with such a broad subject, no need to push yourself so hard right away. Take "easier" classes and learn how to study at a collegiate level.
Source: UofM alum

I guess if you're a math person orgo might be easier. For me, gen chem was.
Yeah I'm a more math and physics type of person which is why I kind of rushed my pre reqs so I could take the old MCAT. It definitely doesn't make sense for him to rush anything.

It's got electrolytes that plants crave.

Strong reference is strong, president camacho

You gave a terrible example. A GPA swing of .15 is absolutely insignificant unless it puts you under a 3.7, probably even 3.6ish for MD. SDN is way too numbers focused. Past a certain point, the numbers are all the same. The difference between a 3.95 and 3.8 is literally zero and it will never make a difference in admissions. People just do not understand enough about the rest of the admissions evaluation process, so they end up blaming everything on GPA/MCAT and we get these ridiculous notions of what is competitive. I've never heard a non-student on this site say otherwise. High GPAs are high GPAs. You're right – he runs the risk of putting himself below that magic threshold if he turns out to be a regular 3.6-3.7 student. But he can drop, and we reminded him to know when to bail already. This is a win-no gain situation.

I'm assuming you're a pre-med because of your avatar, but if you think that there's no difference between a 3.75 and a 3.9 I can tell you that you'd be wrong. I say this as someone who works with admissions and frequently asks them questions. You're right in the sense that the difference isn't as big of a deal as moving from a 3.55 to a 3.7 or something like that, but the difference, at almost any level (unless you're below a 2.5, in which case you'd need a reality check).

I was also speaking more as general advice. Since there are plenty of U Mich people on here that have responded anything I could tell OP is pretty pointless other than how to apply to med schools, which won't happen for years. I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said about there being being much more to it than just the numbers, but people talk about them because they are essentially pre-reqs at some schools. For example, the 2 largest factors that are considered at my school are the MCAT score and sGPA. If you're below a certain score in either of those categories your chances of getting accepted here are basically 0. Obviously one should be well-rounded, but if you don't have the major stats that a school wants they won't care about everything else too much.

Also, I'd love to know the performance outcomes (especially on the MCAT) of those who took reasonable academic challenges throughout undergrad versus those who "played it safe" all the time and went with transcript padding As whenever they could. It should be rather telling.

I'd love to know that info as well, but I've never seen any sources with that kind of data. I'd imagine it depends on the curriculum, but I'd guess that people that took med school related classes and did decently would do better than those who 'padded' their transcript and did well but never exposed themselves to med level material. This is part of why my school emphasizes sGPA so much, because they've found that this stat has the highest correlation to success here and on boards (for our students).

I'm assuming you're a pre-med because of your avatar, but if you think that there's no difference between a 3.75 and a 3.9 I can tell you that you'd be wrong. I say this as someone who works with admissions and frequently asks them questions. You're right in the sense that the difference isn't as big of a deal as moving from a 3.55 to a 3.7 or something like that, but the difference, at almost any level (unless you're below a 2.5, in which case you'd need a reality check).
I meant "difference" as in "meaningful enough to contribute significantly to rejection or acceptance." I think we can agree that a 3.75 will not break anyone's app, even at the top schools? As in, the 3.75 would never be a reason that a candidate is not considered at all. For all intensive purposes, that is past the "threshold" for all schools. That's all I know as an applicant this cycle.

Also, mind you I will continue to have Pokemon avatars even after I'm accepted/matriculated :D

I meant "difference" as in "meaningful enough to contribute significantly to rejection or acceptance." I think we can agree that a 3.75 will not break anyone's app, even at the top schools? As in, the 3.75 would never be a reason that a candidate is not considered at all. For all intensive purposes, that is past the "threshold" for all schools. That's all I know as an applicant this cycle.

Also, mind you I will continue to have Pokemon avatars even after I'm accepted/matriculated :D
agreed, but you can't deny that there IS a difference and if EC's and mcat were similar, the higher gpa would likely win
Not sure how true this is but at my school they say 3.8+ is where differences are not as significant

Aside from some of the top schools I'd say that's a fair statement. I just saw the other day that one year the lowest GPA WashU accepted (don't know what year it was) was a 3.69. When you're a top 10 school though you can be as picky as you want. I also expect you to move onto at least Dragonair when you get accepted.

agreed, but you can't deny that there IS a difference and if EC's and mcat were similar, the higher gpa would likely win
Not sure how true this is but at my school they say 3.8+ is where differences are not as significant

It varies from school to school and typically the minimum GPA to remain competitive will fall between a 3.6 and 3.8. Though for some top schools it may be above a 3.8 and for some low end schools (especially the weaker DO schools) it will be below 3.6.

Stop asking if you can "4.0 orgo." That literally makes no sense and you sound like a high schooler. You get letter grades in classes, not GPAs. You should be asking how to get an "A in orgo."

Heh, my college gave out numbers rather than letter grades. It sounds completely normal to me.

Aside from some of the top schools I'd say that's a fair statement. I just saw the other day that one year the lowest GPA WashU accepted (don't know what year it was) was a 3.69. When you're a top 10 school though you can be as picky as you want. I also expect you to move onto at least Dragonair when you get accepted.

It varies from school to school and typically the minimum GPA to remain competitive will fall between a 3.6 and 3.8. Though for some top schools it may be above a 3.8 and for some low end schools (especially the weaker DO schools) it will be below 3.6.
Well I think WashU is an atypical stat ***** in and of itself. Same for Chicago. I think the rest of the top 10s are much more open-minded and they're picking not just based on sheer numbers.

Dragonair is the plan! I'll have a more active Dratini when I start getting IIs. Then Dragonite when I matriculate.
Follow the saga here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-school-applicants-with-pokemon-avatars.1152420

One more thing: I recommend taking Orgo labs the semester AFTER you take the relevant Orgo class. Like, if you take Orgo 1 in fall, take Orgo 2 and Orgo lab 1 in winter, then Orgo lab 2 Spring/Summer or the next fall. This really helps because it is more like review, and your experiments will go better since you already understand the chemistry behind it. Plus you will have an advantage over the rest of your lab class and have their respect if you act as senpai.

Also, Orgo I lab at U of M is the biggest waste of time in the world. You learn nothing.

You probably should not take 17 credits and do research your first semester at U of M. Why not take 12-14 your first semester, scale back research/ECs a bit, and adjust to college?

You don't want a semester of Bs and Cs because you overloaded yourself or became too distracted.

Last edited:
So what should the consensus be, that I drop the lab, switch out Bio for Poli Sci, Econ, History, or English, and keep psych and soc? If not, what should I even switch soc with? Lol so many questions, don't know what to do.

Bio switch out will be a go for sure. Definitely going to keep that and physics close to the MCAT (sophmore year-junior year summer).

I recommend a reasonably laid-back first semester. Do not underestimate course loads. I and so many others made the mistake of overloading the first semester. When you understand how you will have to adapt your study skills for each class, then you can amp it up.

That being said, I actually do not recommend taking Orgo right away. Orgo at UM has a huge, huge, HUGE support system and utilizing it will almost guarantee an A. This includes optional review sessions, optional study groups, optional materials (practice problems, course packs), and an entire Science Learning Center full of tutors, some JUST FOR ORGO. However, doing all this is a giant time-sink and requires adult-level discipline. I would rather you spend your first semester mapping out your strategies to take this and other comparably difficult science classes.

Psych 111 - good, intro to soft science
Soc 100 - good, intro to soft science
English 125 - good, intro to humanities

For your last course, I recommend UROP, since it will give you a head start with research and keeps you in touch with hard science. That is, if you choose a science research project. (Mine was humanities)

One more thing (I know I keep saying this): ratemyprofessors.com is an invaluable resource. Class experience is highly dependent on the professor. You can choose your sections/lectures based on the teacher. Make sure you choose one that is at least a clear speaker and keeps exams up to date. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to take an exam that has questions on material that was not taught.

And if you do not take Orgo or even UROP, Bio may actually be okay to take with those other three classes. All bio classes are very memorization dependent, while Orgo is a half-memorization, half-mechanism dependent subject. Depends on your brain.

Not to completely object everything you already decided lol. You don't have to listen to me.

Seems like I'll be taking OChem :dead: I had a meeting with a member of the admissions committee for the med school today and the first thing we discussed my schedule. We talked about it for 2 minutes. I said I guess I have a difficult first semester schedule with this OChem and he said why? He said if you're interested and you're the best you can be, you'll do just fine. I didn't know he was a part of it until he told me halfway in between our hour long conversation. He told me to keep in touch :):):):):) he said he'll be my mentor. Is this something to be excited about?