Opinions on PBL vs Traditional teaching style in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent222hasdf

Reaction score
Just wondering which may be better

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, which schools use PBL other than USC? I don't think there are many.

Big Hoss

From past threads I’ve seen Harvard, Indiana, and UConn as a few. Don’t know if this has changed or is still accurate

Reactions: 1 user
I think PBL is one of those things that sounds great on paper, but not a lot of people like it in practicality...like Marxism. But then again, PBL wasn't responsible for over 100 million deaths last century.

1sg7tf.jpg

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Just wondering which may be better
There is no such thing as an efficiently or effectively taught dental school course, PBL or no PBL. If the school you're thinking about has a med curriculum, there's a chance the med portion taught by the med school faculty do a good job, but US dental schools don't actually teach their faculty how to teach well.

Reactions: 1 user
The “teaching style” is fake news. At the end of the day, there is information you need to be able to memorize and regurgitate - regardless of how they’re “teaching” you it. You will learn the ways in which you learn best, so the style in which your school presents the information won’t matter.

Personally I wouldn't want to go to a school with PBL, I prefer to just be given the lecture and ppt and watch the recording on a speed multiplier. It saves time and I can move at my own pace and look up whatever isn't clear. With PBL you'd have to go to dedicated sessions and follow the pace of the group and then go home and still study.

The “teaching style” is fake news. At the end of the day, there is information you need to be able to memorize and regurgitate - regardless of how they’re “teaching” you it. You will learn the ways in which you learn best, so the style in which your school presents the information won’t matter.
I don't completely agree... just like most health professional programs, you are being taught to pass the board exams. Popular or not, there is enough evidence and peer reviewed publications that show that active learning strategies like PBL are better than passive lectures. That's why so many medical and dental schools among others use PBL or case learning. But the real point is that you have to think differently to pass the integrated board exams in order to graduate and subsequently practice. The exams are based on cases and situations and are not simple recall questions, so getting practice in thinking this way is going to be better preparation.

I don't completely agree... just like most health professional programs, you are being taught to pass the board exams. Popular or not, there is enough evidence and peer reviewed publications that show that active learning strategies like PBL are better than passive lectures. That's why so many medical and dental schools among others use PBL or case learning. But the real point is that you have to think differently to pass the integrated board exams in order to graduate and subsequently practice. The exams are based on cases and situations and are not simple recall questions, so getting practice in thinking this way is going to be better preparation.
U$C no longer uses a full PBL curriculum, LECOM and who else use it in dental school?
i seem to remember harvard and university of hawaii used it in medical school, not sure how of others, but i need to see numbers to define it as "so many"...

U$C no longer uses a full PBL curriculum, LECOM and who else use it in dental school?
i seem to remember harvard and university of hawaii used it in medical school, not sure how of others, but i need to see numbers to define it as "so many"...
I know at least a few dental schools that do PBL. No, they don't only do PBL but a hybrid format. (Case is one example.) I know more medical schools that do more PBL, and many interprofessional curricula use a PBL format (so Western I think).

Last edited:
I know at least a few dental schools that do PBL. No, they don't only do PBL but a hybrid format. (Case is one example.) I know more medical schools that do more PBL, and many interprofessional curricula use a PBL format (so Western I think).
so is it "a few" or "so many"?

so is it "a few" or "so many"?
Everyone I am sure has some element of PBL as opposed to a 100% PBL environment unless so specified. ADEA has a Commission on Change and Innovation in Dental Education that would have much more knowledge than I do, but I can't access their information.

Some examples (subject to corrections and revisions):
I'm also sure that this is not a definitive list. I know the list for medical schools is much longer, but there are not many programs there that do solely PBL either. I'm more certain that you have more active learning components in all the curricula, and COVID-19 has made it a bit more challenging. Many posters at ADEA, AAMC, and similar conferences focus on active learning, though I think the focus has shifted from PBL as it was more an exciting topic over 10 years ago.

The term "PBL" has been replaced in recent days with "evidence-based dentistry/medicine" where small-group discussions are incorporated into the process. The INBDE pretty much as forced many schools to do some assessment on how to involve more active learning and case-based assessments in their courses (not completely overhauling the curriculum). I have not kept up with this area in a few years, but I'm hoping to catch up. So I'm more than willing to be updated about dental education on this front.

Everyone I am sure has some element of PBL as opposed to a 100% PBL environment unless so specified. ADEA has a Commission on Change and Innovation in Dental Education that would have much more knowledge than I do, but I can't access their information.

Some examples (subject to corrections and revisions):
I'm also sure that this is not a definitive list. I know the list for medical schools is much longer, but there are not many programs there that do solely PBL either. I'm more certain that you have more active learning components in all the curricula, and COVID-19 has made it a bit more challenging. Many posters at ADEA, AAMC, and similar conferences focus on active learning, though I think the focus has shifted from PBL as it was more an exciting topic over 10 years ago.

The term "PBL" has been replaced in recent days with "evidence-based dentistry/medicine" where small-group discussions are incorporated into the process. The INBDE pretty much as forced many schools to do some assessment on how to involve more active learning and case-based assessments in their courses (not completely overhauling the curriculum). I have not kept up with this area in a few years, but I'm hoping to catch up. So I'm more than willing to be updated about dental education on this front.
so first it was "so many", then "a few" and now "not many"
got it...