opinions on Robbins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAZPOTE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I was wondering if any of you have used the Robbins review of pathology book. I m asking because I find many of the questions to be extremely tricky, and i m afraid that maybe I will develop a wrong logic, thinking of the most complicated answers in even the most straightforward questions.Of course, 1st aid and the authors themselves say that the questions are intentionally difficult, but difficult and tricky are 2 seperate things.
Example:what is the most common defficiency in the world?a)iron,b)vitamin c,c)chocolate, and the correct ansewr is chocolate!!!
Did u find the questions to be related to these of the normal exam?
Thanks for reading. :confused: :confused: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Servos, Tazpote :)

Are you certain that was the exact wording of the question? Wasn't there an "EXCEPT" in there somewhere? Frankly, the way you have it makes little sense if that was the correct answer. Did it go on to explain it?

Just a thought.

Chapter 9, pg 83, question 43:The most common worldwide dietary defficiency is
a)iron
b)calcium
c)folate
d)vitamin c)
e)chocolate
Answer and explanation: There is never quite enough chocolate, and much of the world s population has to get without it.Of course, serious dieticians would choose answer A, which is a defficiency most likely to be seen in menstruating women, in pregnant women, and in children.

I thought the answer was iron. Unfortunately from what you typed the author seems to be using hyperbole - it stands that the answer is iron. Go with what the dietician says. It's the correct board answer, but I can understand your difficulty in not picking up the subtle humor. Hopefully, that is the only question like it in the book. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny, I was all confused when I read the first post but the explanation Robbin's gives does explain it all. I didn't know that book had a sense of humor. I use the Robbins review book when I am studying for exams and I find it to be a good source of questions with color pictures of pathology, which I have heard that the real USMLE has a lot of. I have not been able to locate another source with as many questions with good pictures, so I think that it will be useful when it comes time to study for the USMLE.

The best resource I have seen for pathology, hands-down is a web-based program called "WebPath." It was developed by one of the pathologists at the University of Utah (he is now at the University of Florida) and is chock-full of photos, boards-style questions, mini-lectures, etc. The First Aid series has included the web address in past editions. It is also accessible through the University of Utah med student website (umed.med.utah.edu) under the "first year" section. This site and BRS path were the only two sources I used for path review and did just peachy on my boards.

Thanks for the posts guys, but i still don t have the opinion of someone who used this book and has taken the boards. I m particularly interested in these people s opinion.

It's not so much having taken the boards, Tazpote, it's a question of recognizing subtle humor which is germaine to the language. It's unfortunate that Robbins was being facetious. Perhaps another book might serve you better as others have already posted? Just a thought.