Opinions on School List So Far - 3.96 cGPA 512 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medtobe345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make a school list. I want to apply to between 20-25 schools. The problem I am having is finding schools that I like or would want to attend over my state school (it's cheap and a great school). I was wondering if I could get some suggestions about schools I should look into to add to my list.

So I have my school list spilt in 3 categories, and have based it on the MSAR.

Target (50th percentile or greater)
1. University of Alabama at Birmingham
2. University of South Alabama
3. Morehouse
4. Howard
5. Tulane
6. ?
7. ?

Reach (25-75th Percentile)
8. Dartmouth
9. Georgetown
10. University of Miami
11. Wake Forest
12. ?
13. ?
14. ?

Super Reaches (<10th percentile or 10 - 25th percentile) - Shooting my shot. (Northwestern, Duke, and Emory sent me letters through MED-MAR, so I figured I try even though they are reaches)

15.Northwestern
16.Baylor
17.Duke
18.Emory
19.University of Michigan
20.University of Pittsburgh

So I need more suggestions on target schools where my stats are competitive. I am an AA female, and I think my ECs are average.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We need more info about yourself. What are your ECs and hours? How good is your undergrad (ranking wise)?

Excellent CGPA btw.

I think your reaches are more like targets and your super reaches are reaches

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We need more info about yourself. What are your ECs and hours? How good is your undergrad (ranking wise)?

Excellent CGPA btw.

By the time I apply, I will have:

Clincial Volunteering in monthly rural clincs and low income clinics: 200hr; which I will continue during my gap year

Non Clincial Volunteering in homeless shelters, after school programs, and tax centers for working poor: 300hr; which I will continue during my gap year

Research: 4 years in a clincial lab where I have gotten 1 first author poster presented at a national conference, 1 thesis, and 1 mid author publication (low impact journal though)

Currently working 2 jobs during the school year and summers as a hospital lab assistant (2.5 years) and research assistant for the emergency room (1 year).

Shadowing: 80 hr in Primary Care and 40hr in Internal Medicine

President of a community service club dedicated to helping menstrual health needs of homeless women. Will be initiating a health education outreach for girls in rural communities to provide access to hygiene products and health seminars (3 years; 1 year as President)

Member of Peer Health group where I am a nationally certified Peer Educator, so I host different health seminars at my University and direct students to various on campus resources related to mental health, sexual health, and other types of health (2.5 years)

Reactions: 1 user
I think your reaches are more like targets and your super reaches are reaches

I have come to realize that too. I have gotten feedback from others and they believe that my school is too conservative. I just want to make sure that I make a good school list that will yield results. Do you have schools that you think I should add to the list or look into?

You could throw:

Meharry
George Washington
Georgetown (more on the reach side maybe)
SUNY Downstate
U.Florida
Drexel
Temple

Are you applying this cycle or next cycle?

First off: Good job on having such a good application! I respect all the work you've done to help communities in need.

You should definitely apply to all of the HBCU's. Your ECs fit their missions perfectly.

You have a better GPA and way more volunteer hours than me. And more research experience than me.

If you write your personal statement and secondaries well, you will get a crazy amount of interviews. I am currently sitting on two interviews from research powerhouses, and 12 interviews from "mid-to-low" tier schools.

Your MCAT is 95th %tile for AA, and your GPA is undoubtedly >90th %tile. Your volunteer hours, while average by SDN standards, definitely set you apart from other candidates.

The one thing that miiiight keep you from getting a lot of interviews is that if you apply this year, you will be complete on time, but I do not think this will seriously impact your chances. In fact, I think AdComs will see your application, and they will fight tooth and nail to offer you an interview as quickly as possible.

I think it is smart of you to apply conservatively. You don't know which schools will send you secondaries, or invite you to interview.

Pick your reaches wisely (places that you really want to go), keep your targets. It all depends on your risk tolerance. No one is guaranteed acceptance in this process.

With that being said, your application looks solid. The fact that you are URM, in my opinion, makes it even more stellar because there simply are not a lot of us applying, and we are desperately needed in order to address health disparities in underserved communities of color.

So I wish you the best of luck, but I am quite confident that you don't need it ;) You can really apply to wherever you want (I'm not kidding), it just depends on what your budget can handle.

Are you applying this cycle or next cycle?

First off: Good job on having such a good application! I respect all the work you've done to help communities in need.

You should definitely apply to all of the HBCU's. Your ECs fit their missions perfectly.

You have a better GPA and way more volunteer hours than me. And more research experience than me.

If you write your personal statement and secondaries well, you will get a crazy amount of interviews. I am currently sitting on two interviews from research powerhouses, and 12 interviews from "mid-to-low" tier schools.

Your MCAT is 95th %tile for AA, and your GPA is undoubtedly >90th %tile. Your volunteer hours, while average by SDN standards, definitely set you apart from other candidates.

The one thing that miiiight keep you from getting a lot of interviews is that if you apply this year, you will be complete on time, but I do not think this will seriously impact your chances. In fact, I think AdComs will see your application, and they will fight tooth and nail to offer you an interview as quickly as possible.

I think it is smart of you to apply conservatively. You don't know which schools will send you secondaries, or invite you to interview.

Pick your reaches wisely (places that you really want to go), keep your targets. It all depends on your risk tolerance. No one is guaranteed acceptance in this process.

With that being said, your application looks solid. The fact that you are URM, in my opinion, makes it even more stellar because there simply are not a lot of us applying, and we are desperately needed in order to address health disparities in underserved communities of color.

So I wish you the best of luck, but I am quite confident that you don't need it ;) You can really apply to wherever you want (I'm not kidding), it just depends on what your budget can handle.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Yeah being on SDN makes me a bit nervous about my competitiveness. It's important to keep my perspective. I will be applying next year to increase my hours and round out my application.

Beside the HBCUs, do you recommend any other schools where you think I might fit? Also do you think I need my change any of my reaches?

Thanks again for your response!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Yeah being on SDN makes me a bit nervous about my competitiveness. It's important to keep my perspective. I will be applying next year to increase my hours and round out my application.

Beside the HBCUs, do you recommend any other schools where you think I might fit? Also do you think I need my change any of my reaches?

Thanks again for your response!
I would add UChicago, maybe consider removing Baylor (unless you’re from Texas), but I think you’ll be competitive just about anywhere you apply. Are you looking to stay in a certain region or go to a school with a specific mission?

I would add UChicago, maybe consider removing Baylor (unless you’re from Texas), but I think you’ll be competitive just about anywhere you apply. Are you looking to stay in a certain region or go to a school with a specific mission?

I like schools that can offer accessible research options but also focuses on teaching students to be doctors for the community first.

Honestly, I am not that picky when it comes to regions. I just don't want to go to California (or that far west) or New York. I like Baylor because I like the Houston health system and would love to do my residency there. I have no ties, so I know Baylor is a major long shot. I am debating whether it's worth applying to.

Why do you recommend UChicago over Baylor? I am curious about what you see in my application that you would recommend UChicago.

Are there other schools you could recommend that I look at or consider?

The only reason I would recommend UChicago over Baylor is that of IS preference but I think applying to both would be a good idea. UChicago has great research opportunities + service learning opportunities so I would recommend taking a look at them an deciding if they are a good fit for you.

I would also consider: Case Western, UNC, SLU, Vanderbilt, BU, Tufts

@tanbrucewayne @Boola Boy @teeayejay

Thanks again for the recommendations and advice on schools. This is the school list I have come up with:

1.Howard
2. Meharry
3. Morehouse
4. University of South Alabama
5. University of Alabama
6. Wake Forest
7. Dartmouth
8. Emory
9. Georgetown
10. University of Miami
11. Saint Louis
12. SUNY Downstate
13. Einstein
14. Case Western
15. University of Cincinnati
16. University of Michigan
17. University of Pittsburgh
18. Yale
19. Northwestern
20. University of Chicago
21. Vanderbilt

If there any schools that you think should be there or should be removed, let me know! Thanks again for everyone's help!

@tanbrucewayne @Boola Boy @teeayejay

Thanks again for the recommendations and advice on schools. This is the school list I have come up with:

1.Howard
2. Meharry
3. Morehouse
4. University of South Alabama
5. University of Alabama
6. Wake Forest
7. Dartmouth
8. Emory
9. Georgetown
10. University of Miami
11. Saint Louis
12. SUNY Downstate
13. Einstein
14. Case Western
15. University of Cincinnati
16. University of Michigan
17. University of Pittsburgh
18. Yale
19. Northwestern
20. University of Chicago
21. Vanderbilt

If there any schools that you think should be there or should be removed, let me know! Thanks again for everyone's help!
The list looks good to me! I would also just do a WAMC on the main forum and ask for one of the ADCOMs opinions