Opinions on school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xroc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm just looking for some input on my school list. I have shown this to a few friends and many have said that I'm applying to "too many schools," and that "you'll be fine," but I personally feel like I should rather play it safe than being sorry.

Either way, let me know if you feel like my list has too many schools, or whether some should be logically cut out?

37Q MCAT/4.0 GPA from state university
~ 400 clinical hours from working as a tech in psych. ward
~ 100 hours of ER volunteering
~ 80 hours of non-clinical volunteering
~ 500 hours of research (did a decent amount of stuff with my research)

I know my stats technically make me competitive for most schools I'm going to apply to, but I also understand that what most people consider "top" schools are also extremely hard to get into, regardless of stats.

My school list:
Case
Rosalind Franklin
Duke
Harvard
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
Loyola
Mayo
MSU (instate)
Northwestern
Oakland (instate)
Ohio State
UPenn
Rush
Pritzker
Cincinnati
Michigan (instate)
WashU
Wayne State (instate)
Wright
Yale

At this point, I'm just wondering whether this is too many schools that I am applying to, and whether I could safely remove some from my list? (I have about 11 "reach" schools and 10 "safety" schools)

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Given your stats and the fact that you have 4 in-state schools where you have a big competitive advantage, I'd say you could definitely cut some schools out of your list to make for an easier application season. I don't know much about the lower tier OOS schools you have on your list, but perhaps take out ~3-4 of those, especially if your ultimate goal is to go to one of the top-tiers you have on your list. Also, maybe look at some of the top programs closer, and take out ~1-2 that you don't think you'd be that interested in. In the end, it's up to you and whether you want to write ~20 secondary applications - and perhaps how many interviews would you be able to attend.