Opinions on southeastern programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigersMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in opinions on UAB, Vanderbilt, and Emory from those who have been there or know about the programs. It seems that all three are strong programs that are well-respected nationally.

Members don't see this ad.

tigersMD said:
I am interested in opinions on UAB, Vanderbilt, and Emory from those who have been there or know about the programs. It seems that all three are strong programs that are well-respected nationally.

Anyone with opinions??

tigersMD said:
Anyone with opinions??

Well, I didn't visit the programs, but I know them very well because I grew up in the South. I would go with Emory, then UAB, then Vandy. I've know Vandy is good, but I've been hearing that they are becoming somewhat malignant these days. That is from inside sources.... Hope this helps....

Members don't see this ad :)
UAB has a fantastic internal medicine program. If I hadn't lived in this city for a large part of my life, UAB would certainly be #1 or #2 on my list. I have interviewed at several programs around the country (Mayo, WashU, Cornell, Emory, UPenn) and I think UAB is as good if not better than most of them.

I think UPenn will be the only program that I would rank higher than UAB of the ones I listed. Not trying to knock WashU, Mayo, Cornell, or Emory but I think you will get better training here than at any of those places... quick aside, I loved the program at Mayo. Not enough autonomy for me though.

UAB has fantastic cardiology, ID, and rheumatology departments. The ID department is very strong; one of the best in the country. Cardiology is easily top 10. Rheumatology is easily top 5. The new chair is from U Colorado -- Head of their pulm/cc division. Very strong and I'm sure our pulmonary/cc department will be much stronger as a result. Don't know much about our GI department.

You rotate through a university, a VA, and a county hospital. You see a wide variety of pathology and you have a tremendous amount of autonomy.

Residents and faculty are very friendly. You have to come here for an interview to really appreciate the level of collegiality in this program.

The facilities are beautiful. North Pavilion was just built last year. One of the best looking hospital buildings you will ever see. ER is on the bottom floor of the hospital -- the size of a football field -- great for seeing a lot of pathology, horrible if you are expecting easy call nights. The outpatient center is Kirklin Clinic. Building designed by I.M. Pei. Another beautiful building. The MICU is being renovated. If you come for a tour you will see the old MICU but the new one should be done by March.

The city is nice. It is not a huge city but these is a lot to do. No pro teams but if you like college sports then you'll love it here. Some great places to eat. If you are here for a few days try the local eats. You'll have a great time.

Emory was a suprise. I wasn't expecting a lot but I really liked the program. Grady is huge and I'm sure working there would be a great learning opportunity. Dr. Hurst still teaches -- probably one of the most famous cardiologists. Supposedly he is a fantastic teacher. Program is huge.. something like 90 interns - 1/2 of them prelim.

Vandy. Probably will cancel my interview. Have heard good things on the interview trail but have also heard some negatives (mainly related to the role that private attendings play ... similar to the situation at WashU).

I'm sure all 3 of the southeast programs will be great places to work. I am partial towards UAB. Hopefully students/applicants at the others places will provide feedback so that we can get different views about these programs. Hope this helped. Message me if you have any questions.

Thanks! I think UAB will probably be at or near the top of my list.

DaBigDawg said:
UAB has a fantastic internal medicine program. If I hadn't lived in this city for a large part of my life, UAB would certainly be #1 or #2 on my list. I have interviewed at several programs around the country (Mayo, WashU, Cornell, Emory, UPenn) and I think UAB is as good if not better than most of them.

I think UPenn will be the only program that I would rank higher than UAB of the ones I listed. Not trying to knock WashU, Mayo, Cornell, or Emory but I think you will get better training here than at any of those places... quick aside, I loved the program at Mayo. Not enough autonomy for me though.

UAB has fantastic cardiology, ID, and rheumatology departments. The ID department is very strong; one of the best in the country. Cardiology is easily top 10. Rheumatology is easily top 5. The new chair is from U Colorado -- Head of their pulm/cc division. Very strong and I'm sure our pulmonary/cc department will be much stronger as a result. Don't know much about our GI department.

You rotate through a university, a VA, and a county hospital. You see a wide variety of pathology and you have a tremendous amount of autonomy.

Residents and faculty are very friendly. You have to come here for an interview to really appreciate the level of collegiality in this program.

The facilities are beautiful. North Pavilion was just built last year. One of the best looking hospital buildings you will ever see. ER is on the bottom floor of the hospital -- the size of a football field -- great for seeing a lot of pathology, horrible if you are expecting easy call nights. The outpatient center is Kirklin Clinic. Building designed by I.M. Pei. Another beautiful building. The MICU is being renovated. If you come for a tour you will see the old MICU but the new one should be done by March.

The city is nice. It is not a huge city but these is a lot to do. No pro teams but if you like college sports then you'll love it here. Some great places to eat. If you are here for a few days try the local eats. You'll have a great time.

Emory was a suprise. I wasn't expecting a lot but I really liked the program. Grady is huge and I'm sure working there would be a great learning opportunity. Dr. Hurst still teaches -- probably one of the most famous cardiologists. Supposedly he is a fantastic teacher. Program is huge.. something like 90 interns - 1/2 of them prelim.

Vandy. Probably will cancel my interview. Have heard good things on the interview trail but have also heard some negatives (mainly related to the role that private attendings play ... similar to the situation at WashU).

I'm sure all 3 of the southeast programs will be great places to work. I am partial towards UAB. Hopefully students/applicants at the others places will provide feedback so that we can get different views about these programs. Hope this helped. Message me if you have any questions.

DaBigDawg said:

Hurst's status is in serious question. Avoid Emory unless you're ID or Cards bound. Good program, but there are much stronger out there.

-PB