Opinions on these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gardener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am recent college graduate (BU '08) and looking to apply for a MPH program. Partly because I wish to explore the field of public health, partly because I am an international student and I need to be enrolled in a full-time program by next June, which is the time I plan to apply for Med School, in order to stay in the US. I am looking at:

NYMC
Columbia
Tufts
BU
Dartmouth

Anyone knows about the cons and pros about these schools in relative terms? Also, I know that Dartmouth is a 12-month program, but I've also heard that BU and Tufts program, supposedly 18-program, can be completed in one year. Anyone has any info on these schools? I am really hoping to complete the program in 12-month so that I can apply next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am recent college graduate (BU '08) and looking to apply for a MPH program. Partly because I wish to explore the field of public health, partly because I am an international student and I need to be enrolled in a full-time program by next June, which is the time I plan to apply for Med School, in order to stay in the US. I am looking at:

NYMC
Columbia
Tufts
BU
Dartmouth

Anyone knows about the cons and pros about these schools in relative terms? Also, I know that Dartmouth is a 12-month program, but I've also heard that BU and Tufts program, supposedly 18-program, can be completed in one year. Anyone has any info on these schools? I am really hoping to complete the program in 12-month so that I can apply next cycle.

Well, for starters, since you're an international student, you probably won't be going to medical school in the US unless you have rediculous stats (35+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA). Only about 50 of the 130 MD schools will even look at your application. The other 80 schools only accept US citizens or permanent residents and will automatically reject international applicants. Sorry but those are just the facts. I would talk to a premed advisor if I were you. And second, if you're doing an MPH just to be able to stay in the US and don't really have a strong interest in the field, you're gonna be pretty miserable.

In response to your question, Columbia, BU, and NYMC are actually "Schools of Public Health." Dartmouth and Tufts simply have MPH programs that are housed within their medical schools so the focus on public health is substantially lower. I think Columbia and BU would both be fine options for the MPH although there are other schools that are probably better (Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, UWashington, UMich, Emory, etc).