Opinions on this job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paranoidthrowaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up residency in a few months and am evaluating offers.

The job I am interested in is outpatient position, one hour intake, 30 min follow ups.

The job is located in NJ, within one hour drive of NYC.
This is in a large health system. Variety of payers.

This is an hourly W2 position, but I have to agree to a set number of minimum hours per week. Can take days off without an issue as long as I give them a few weeks notice. If I don't work, I don't get paid.

Paid as a W2, malpractice is covered, no other benefits. No RVU requirements but the average is around 3.1 an hour.

Offer right now is $183 an hour.
What do you think of the compensation?
Seems like there is some more room for improvement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you get paid for no shows?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should always negotiate because whatever is being offered is probably the minimum they are willing to offer, and it's good practice! It sounds like you are a W2 hourly in this position. Depending on what else you would be doing the rest of your time, you may want to consider being a 1099 worker for a higher rate (e.g. $200/hr) as that will allow you to deduct expenses from your taxes, whereas otherwise you will not be able to deduct anything. I think it would depend on how many hours you are intending to work here what you should ask for and what you can negotiate.

Reactions: 3 users
You should always negotiate because whatever is being offered is probably the minimum they are willing to offer, and it's good practice! It sounds like you are a W2 hourly in this position. Depending on what else you would be doing the rest of your time, you may want to consider being a 1099 worker for a higher rate (e.g. $200/hr) as that will allow you to deduct expenses from your taxes, whereas otherwise you will not be able to deduct anything. I think it would depend on how many hours you are intending to work here what you should ask for and what you can negotiate.

You are right - never hurts to ask.
The W2 job mentioned above will be ~ 20 hours weekly.
Thankfully this is not the only position I will have, and the other position is a 1099, so hopefully I will be able to take advantage of some of the tax deductions.

This is a complex calculation, and self-employment tax being what it is, you'd have to be paid a lot higher than 200 just to break even with an 183 W2. There's also important intangible to consider - labor law protections as a W2 employee. Unless the commute's really long (I think the standard deduction is ~$1/2mi) or there's high parking costs, etc, I wouldn't necessarily go this route.

Reactions: 2 users
$185 outpatient for that location is decent. Have you visited the hospital? Does it seem like a decent place to live? I’d take it if it’s 20 hours a week. The main concern is caseload schedueing etc but you won’t get a sense until you actually show up. NJ is big though, the exact town makes a big difference. The other issue is if they are continuously losing money on you the hospital might shut the clinic. This happens not infrequently.

This is what I often tell people. Even in the nyc metro, when you get an hour out all of a sudden you start to get to Idaho numbers. Long ago I had a NYCHHS quote around that number.

Re: W2 ^^^^^ is right, 20 hours will reach your FICA ceiling. You should keep it W2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
General question, for
jobs like this or telepsych where people are quoting an hourly number, will these jobs pay you for something like an hour a day of writing notes or that expected to happen during the scheduled patient time?

General question, for
jobs like this or telepsych where people are quoting an hourly number, will these jobs pay you for something like an hour a day of writing notes or that expected to happen during the scheduled patient time?

There is no scheduled admin/paperwork/note writing time from what I've seen.
They want you to do it during visits/no shows/etc.

A little off-topic, but are telepsych rates typically consistent with the rate quoted by the original poster? If not, what ballpark should one count on for telepsych?

There is no scheduled admin/paperwork/note writing time from what I've seen.
They want you to do it during visits/no shows/etc.

Which is reasonable. Although everyone gets behind on occasion with 30/60min scheduling in general OP psych there is a problem if someone isn't able to consistently finish on time. This looks like a nice offer to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Most advertise around $140 around me and negotiate to $160 fairly easily. Below $140 is weak. Above $160 takes some looking and negotiating in my experience.

Thanks for the input. One last question about salary/practice setting... any idea what psych ER is like?