Opinions on ultrasound machines- Sonosite xporte vs ge venue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUBR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We're looking to buy another ultrasound machine for the ICU. Anyone with experience to compare the x-porte and the venue?

No need to support TEE. Planning to get linear and phased array probes. Intended use would be vascular access and focused echo exams.

Members don't see this ad.

I've used sonosite and philips extensively. We had an x-porte and edge in residency and it's the initial machine I learned TTE on. In fellowship they had an exclusive contract with philips (Sparq, IE-33, Epic7c, or CVx). I've also used some of the GE ultrasounds in the pain clinic.

My answer would depend on who's paying for it:

If i'm paying for it out of my own pocket, I'd go with a Sonosite Edge (yes the edge and not the xporte, i'm not paying $70k+ out of my own pocket to get an xporte) with the two probes (i think anything up to 12 Mhz for linear is fine and any phased array probe is usually enough for POC ICU needs), should run me about $25-30 for the probes including ability to save and print images.

If the hospital system has a contract with philips, I would get myself an Epic 7c with a L15-7 and a X5-1 probe. i think this would run about $300+.

*My answer also demonstrates why health care cost is high.

P.S. I don't know why you are comparing the xporte with the venue, the Sonosite SII is more of a in class comparison to the ge Venue. The xporte is more meant to be overbuilt into like the sparq or epic class.

Last edited:
I’ve used both, and neither stands out above the other. The xporte is probably easier to clean (fewer nooks and crannies) and has a simpler caddy (fewer articulations and binges). I use the probe buttons on the venue less than in thought I would. Both seem durable, and have decent imaging for basic applications. The venue seems to have more automated features (calculation IVC movement, blue protocol, and a few others), if that’s your jam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We're looking to buy another ultrasound machine for the ICU. Anyone with experience to compare the x-porte and the venue?

No need to support TEE. Planning to get linear and phased array probes. Intended use would be vascular access and focused echo exams.

My group elected to get the Venue last year, and we're very happy with it. We did elect to get the TEE probe (I'm in a CTICU), and our quote was ~$78,000. The Philips (with TEE) was north of $100,000. Both platforms were great - our MICU got the XPorte a year before we bought the Venue. You'll be very happy with either, especially if you were using an ancient Etch-A-Sketch like we were. In the end, it was simply easier to lobby The Brass for the lower cost device.

Reactions: 1 user
I've used sonosite and philips extensively. We had an x-porte and edge in residency and it's the initial machine I learned TTE on. In fellowship they had an exclusive contract with philips (Sparq, IE-33, Epic7c, or CVx). I've also used some of the GE ultrasounds in the pain clinic.

My answer would depend on who's paying for it:

If i'm paying for it out of my own pocket, I'd go with a Sonosite Edge (yes the edge and not the xporte, i'm not paying $70k+ out of my own pocket to get an xporte) with the two probes (i think anything up to 12 Mhz for linear is fine and any phased array probe is usually enough for POC ICU needs), should run me about $25-30 for the probes including ability to save and print images.

If the hospital system has a contract with philips, I would get myself an Epic 7c with a L15-7 and a X5-1 probe. i think this would run about $300+.

*My answer also demonstrates why health care cost is high.

P.S. I don't know why you are comparing the xporte with the venue, the Sonosite SII is more of a in class comparison to the ge Venue. The xporte is more meant to be overbuilt into like the sparq or epic class.

Hospital is paying. Two other ICUs have the x porte. The cardiologists have contract with GE and it's what we use in the OR for TEE. We have the SII in the ORs for lines, although never trialed the phased array probe on that machine.

My group elected to get the Venue last year, and we're very happy with it. We did elect to get the TEE probe (I'm in a CTICU), and our quote was ~$78,000. The Philips (with TEE) was north of $100,000. Both platforms were great - our MICU got the XPorte a year before we bought the Venue. You'll be very happy with either, especially if you were using an ancient Etch-A-Sketch like we were. In the end, it was simply easier to lobby The Brass for the lower cost device.

I'm in CTICU to. I brought up the point of getting something with TEE capability and maybe can handle the probes we use in the OR, but only a couple of us are trained to do it so not much enthusiasm. I guess I will wheel up our portable ones up from the OR if needed. How frequently have you had to use TEE in the unit?

I'm in CTICU to. I brought up the point of getting something with TEE capability and maybe can handle the probes we use in the OR, but only a couple of us are trained to do it so not much enthusiasm. I guess I will wheel up our portable ones up from the OR if needed. How frequently have you had to use TEE in the unit?

Honestly - pretty rarely. Since losing one of the CT surgeons a little while ago, the TEE need has dropped precipitously.

But when you need it, you need it.

Are you familiar with Mindray? We have the Mindray TE7 in our ITU and Theatre (OR). We used to have Sonosite, but as soon as I saw Mindray products I thought why on earth are we paying such prices for Sonosite systems. We've also recently replaced an old Siemens system with a TE7. From a BioEng point of view, the TE7 are technically sound (no pun intended..!).

Last edited: