opinions on University of Rochester, Rochester NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khamr0n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone pass on anything they have heard or experienced about this program?...trying to get an early start for next year's match. I am pretty impressed with the medical center from the website, and I was wondering what the general buzz was about the PM&R program.

Here are the things I like about it:
categorical
at a Level 1 Trauma center
in-house pain fellowship
research is emphasized

Rochester seems like a comfortable, affordable place to live...anything I should keep in mind about it? I like the fact that it snows heavily there because I snowboard, and it seems like there are plenty of outdoor activities for the summers.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few close friends who went to Strong for internal medicine and stayed on as fellows, and were very happy with their experience.

Many people find Rochester a great town to live in- affordable, family friendly, strong resident community that lives near the hospital

As for the PM&R department, don't have much inside scoop. They are a smaller program, and the few residents I've met seem pretty strong and happy with their experience.

> Rochester seems like a comfortable, affordable place to live...anything I should keep in mind about it? I like the fact that it snows heavily there because I snowboard, and it seems like there are plenty of outdoor activities for the summers.[/QUOTE]

For people who like outdoor activities, it should be a good place to live. And an important factor to consider is affordability- on a residents salary, you should be able to buy a home, travel, etc. if you choose.

...Bristol is the closest place and it is pretty half-assed, and still almost 2 hours away. And it gets below zero several times a year. In the summer, not that much to do. Kodak and xerox are dying and the city is going down with it....

ouch. thats a little harsh. i've lived my entire life in rochester. and while dont love rochester, i wouldnt go so far to say the whole city is going down the tubes. in fact, its actually a little bit on the up-swing compared to what it was in the mid - late 90s, and hopefully it will continue to trend that way. oh, and you must drive really slow because it doesnt take 2 hours to drive to bristol. and dont forget the places you can get to easily with a little effort, like holiday valley, killington, lake placid, and even mount tremblant in quebec (and you'll actually be able to afford to go skiing, since cost of living in rochester is um, relatively speaking, cheap).

to the OP, sorry, i know next to nil about the rehab department. but its the university of rochester, so at least you can be assured its relatively decent. you'll certainly get good exposure, as URMC/Strong is a big trauma center and a big place in general. and while rochester isnt the most awesome city in the world, i will agree with others that its a fine place to do a residency, especially if you like the outdoors and dont mind winter.