Opinions on University of Washington anesthesia program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njslex16

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just interviewed there and really loved the program. Wanted to know if anybody had any opinions (good and bad) about the program, living in Seattle (expense of living, things to do), etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Everything about the program is great--except the cost of living. I would be very happy there with the clinical experience, research, didactics, and city, but it is expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you'll get a good education... and be well prepared for your first gig... but you will work hard....

Bump. Can anyone flesh this out a bit? I really enjoyed my interview day at UW, but I'm not sure if I was just seduced by Seattle...

I also enjoyed my time there and felt it was a strong program, plus they are one of the few that also take DOs. If I wasn't pressed to stay in the east coast I would have ranked them in my top 3

Can anyone who has trained at UW and then gone on to practice on the East Coast comment? I just want to make sure that I'm not regionally restricting myself long-term. Granted, it'll all play out in the algorithm, so it might not even be an issue.

Current resident at UW. Very happy with the program. The Anesthesiology dept is top 10 in the country with NIH funding so it's well known and I wouldn't expect you to have any problems getting back to the East Coast. The relaxed PNW culture (beards are encouraged) in the hospital makes for a great environment. Staff at all levels are respectful, informal, and make training less stressful. Our PD is a rockstar, we have great cases, and the Seahawks are on their way to ANOTHER superbowl. What more could you ask for?

Can anyone who has trained at UW and then gone on to practice on the East Coast comment? I just want to make sure that I'm not regionally restricting myself long-term. Granted, it'll all play out in the algorithm, so it might not even be an issue.

It would likely depend on where you are looking on the East Coast and what type of practice. The market might be a bit harder given the number of strong/top 10 anesthesia programs between Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. Those programs have greater alumni networking on the East for academics and private practice since it's less common to see West Coast residency graduates head East for jobs than vice versa.

Agammaglobulin, I tried PMing you, but it wouldn't let me. Can you send me a message as I've got a few questions. Thanks!

I thought this would help:

I. PROGRAM OVERVIEW

PROGRAM SIZE:

-> 150 attendings. See Department Website.

- 29-30 residents/year,

- 3 chief residents (1 each for UWMC and HMC, 1 for VA/SCH); 1 academic chief resident

- 2 program coordinators

- PD, + Associate PD + residency co-director each provide additional specific oversight of CBY, CA1 and CA2 years separately.

CRNAs:

- 2 CRNA programs through UW:

UWMC: ~38 CRNAs

HMC: ~35 CRNAs

VA: ~3-4 CRNAs

SCH: 5-6 CRNAs

RESIDENCY PATHWAYS:

- Categorical (all 4 years at UW): 23-24 residents

- Advanced (1st year elsewhere*, CA1-3 at UW): 2 residents

- Critical Care Pathway: 2 residents

- Bonica Scholar Pathway: 2 residents

OTHER PROGRAMS IN AREA: Virginia Mason

II. EDUCATION AND TRAINING

LOCATIONS (time spent): UWMC (~40% ), Harborview (HMC) (~40%), VA (<10%), Children’s (SCH) (10%).

* UW covers the WWAMI region, which represents ~15% of the United States in terms of area

* UWMC: Tertiary/Quaternary care center. This is where you get the majority of your ASA3+ patients.

Surgeries: Emphasis on CT/transplant/ENT/gyn/ortho

ORs: 25 ORs (not including offsite/NORA cases)

*HMC: Level 1 trauma center for the vast majority of the WWAMI region, easily considered one of the best trauma centers nationwide for the bready and diversity of cases they have. The Medic One program was born here.

- Surgeries: HEAVY emphasis on orthopedic/Nsurg

- ORs: 25 ORs (not including offsite/NORA cases)

*SCH: Likely the best program on the west coast IMHO.

- You spend 3 months as a CA2 and 1 month as a CA3, which is more than the average 2-3 months at other programs.

- ORs: 15 (not including offsite/NORA cases)

See Department Website for more information regarding case breakdown.
Residents average 1200 cases (including ICU patients, pain consults, patients/procedures) by the end of their residency.

SCHEDULES (NON-CALL):

- Average weekly work hours varies by rotation (45-55 hours), with some weeks going into 60s/70s depending on the type of call schedule you are on. Very rarely if ever are there work hour restrictions being pushed

- OR start time: 0730 (except Weds d/t grand rounds à 0830)

- Average day: 0730 - 4-530pm (for non-call residents).

SCHEDULES (CALL):

UWMC and HMC: Numbering system (#1-7 at UWMC and HMC, #1-3 at SCH).

- Call Residents 1 and 2 (and 3 at HMC) are the nightfloat coverage [~6pm-7am the next day]

- With the exception of 1,and 2, the higher the number, the earlier you are relieved from the call pool to go home.

- #5-7 usually 5-8pm, #3 and 4 usually 8-10pm

- Your general OR rotations typically have a week of nightfloat every 1-2 months. They last 3-4 nights in length, with the rest of the week (3-4 days) off. With some exceptions – 6 on/6 off as a CA3 at HMC.

- Efforts are made to attach your nightfloat to one of your vacation weeks, to allow for more consecutive days off.

SCH: Numbering system (1-3)

à #2 and 3 are “late day call,” with #3 usually staying until 6-7 pm and #2 staying until 9-10pm.

à Call shifts ion consecutive days (e.g. #2 Monday, #1 Tuesday, post-call Weds)

VA: As a CA2 or CA3, you are on a rotating schedule with the CA1 VA SICU intern. As a senor resident you can expect to take call q5 or sometimes q6 when you are on your regional/general anesthesia months there.

DIDACTICS:

- Biannual “Retreats” during CBY year (if categorical resident)

- CA1: 1st 2 months: qWednesday (full day) x 2 months; qWednesday ~q3-4 weeks after that

- CA2-3: q3-4 weeks on a Wednesday, +board review/oral board practice

- qThursday PBLD or QI conference

- qWednesday Grand Rounds

- Electronic access to most major anesthesia textbooks (pdf files)

- Multiple Dropbox links with study materials, question banks, flashcards going around

- Intraoperative teaching – Topic Cards; attendings are very good with teaching the core material that is covered in the Boards (UWMC, SCH) and flexible in allowing different techniques (i.e. airway management) (HMC)

III. WHILE AT WORK…

RECORD KEEPING:

EHR:

- UW/HMC: Cerner PowerChart (ORCA) + CORES Rounding System

- SCH: CIS (just like ORCA) + CORES

- VA: CPRS, resident-drive rounding system intermittently in use

Anesthesia Record:

- UWMC/HMC: AIMS/Merge (formerly DocuSys), may change within next 2 years

- SCH: Paper-charting until April 2015, then electronic charting

- VA:

OR SUPPORT:

- 6-7 anesthesia technicians at each hospital:

-- Very helpful and timely at each location (especially with CT cases at UWMC – the best)

- Break System: AM (15min), Lunch (30min), Afternoon (15min), Dinner (30min)

MEALS: Expensive ($5-8/entrée). Bring your own food

UWMC+HMC: You’re given some money on your card for every 12 consecutive hours you work (and successfully and timely log into your duty hours report).

SCH: 1 free meal per regular day shift; 2 free meals per night call shift. Their midnight breakfast is amazing.

VA: Free frozen food while on call at night

PARKING: Expensive

UW: Parking garage is ~1/2 mile away from the OR area of the hospital (some walking outside). $7/day (pre-tax deduction from your salary)

HMC: Parking garage is right next to the hospital, but is $9/day (also pre-tax deduction)

SCH: Free parking after you’ve been oriented (outside parking lot), 3 min walk from OR area of hospital

BENEFITS, Other:

- 5 meeting days (2 travel days)

- Academic Fund: $500/year

- Basic Exam Prep 1 weekend/month with program director

- Mock Oral Exams through the department every year (+ on VA and neuroanesthesiology rotations)

- Daycare for children

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there --

I am interviewing at the U on Monday. There is nothing more I would like but to match there. I am originally from Seattle, went to school abroad. Did well on Steps. Any one who interviewed there have any tips on how to "wow" them .

TIA

Emphasize you want to come back to your "home" and you will be fine :)

Current UW resident here:

I was extremely happy that I got to stay here when I matched a few years ago. I knew the department pretty well since I planned to go into anesthesia from the midway point of ms1 year.

I stayed because I really like the people (attendings, residents, administrators, and the PD). I was a little worried that maybe I wasn't seeing what others had experienced, as there are some older reviews on line that have given UW a negative-ish reputation.

I'm incredibly glad that I chose to stay.

The reputation that UW seems to have is absolutely not true, and I've found it to be the complete opposite. My coresidents feel the same way.

I'm having a great time learning anesthesia from some incredible attendings. And, the longer I'm here, the happier I am that I stayed.

Bottom line, if you want to work in a great mix of training hospitals, you want awesome trauma experience, you want to be challenged, and you want to live in one of the best cities for outdoor activities/dining/music... come to the Pacific Northwest.

UW's website actually says:

"The average hours worked by residents per week are: CBY: 56, CA1: 56, CA2: 55, and CA3: 52.5."

56 hours/week as an intern doesn't sound bad at all, compared to the malignancy rumors and posters above who said you will "work very hard", etc.
Even if those numbers are slightly under-reported, 60h/wk as an intern doesn't sound like hell.

Any thoughts?

UW's website actually says:

"The average hours worked by residents per week are: CBY: 56, CA1: 56, CA2: 55, and CA3: 52.5."

56 hours/week as an intern doesn't sound bad at all, compared to the malignancy rumors and posters above who said you will "work very hard", etc.
Even if those numbers are slightly under-reported, 60h/wk as an intern doesn't sound like hell.

Any thoughts?

I log my hours in a way that takes the least amount of time possible. Also, not every hour is the same.

I understand you may log your hours in a way that is most efficient, but there seems to be come correlation since the hours are the same in PGY1/2/3 and then a drop off in CA3. All when the hour-logging system is the same. And I can definitely live with a "busy 56 hours" compared to a chill program as long as the hours are that low overall.

I understand you may log your hours in a way that is most efficient, but there seems to be come correlation since the hours are the same in PGY1/2/3 and then a drop off in CA3. All when the hour-logging system is the same. And I can definitely live with a "busy 56 hours" compared to a chill program as long as the hours are that low overall.

So are you trying to do the minimum possible or do you want good training?
56 hours a week is a weak program IMO, and you're only shorting yourself.
I don't think the vast majority of residents work this little- I wonder if the residents at this program are actually really working this little, I doubt it.

Last edited:
So are you trying to do the minimum possible or do you want good training?
56 hours a week is a weak program IMO, and you're only shorting yourself.
I don't think the vast majority of residents work this little- I wonder if the residents at this program are actually really working this little, I doubt it.

Making a blanket statement that 56 hrs a week automatically = weak program is ridiculous. Quality of hours is a gazillion times more important than sheer quantity. I came from an historically cush residency to an ICU fellowship where the anesthesia residents are the workforce, and I've had the opportunity to interact with 15-20 anesthesia residents here over extended periods of time in the ICU and the cardiac ORs. Out of that group there's maybe a handful I would actually let anesthetize me or a family member.

Working 70 hrs a week as a resident means nothing if you're at a center where you get absolutely no autonomy because the surgeons demand attendings/fellows do everything, where you have no time to read or study, and where all those extra hours go towards relieving CRNAs in cysto or EGD. 50-60 hrs/week is plenty if you're actually at a shop that will let you fly solo as a CA-3 (or at least maximize autonomy) from induction to emergence in whipples, esophagectomies, cardiac, high risk OB/peds, cranis etc. The vast majority of my class are in fellowship and a couple are in private practice, and as far as I know not a single soul is crying 'oh woe is me I wish I had worked more hours in residency because I feel so unprepared'

Reactions: 1 users
Making a blanket statement that 56 hrs a week automatically = weak program is ridiculous. Quality of hours is a gazillion times more important than sheer quantity. I came from an historically cush residency to an ICU fellowship where the anesthesia residents are the workforce, and I've had the opportunity to interact with 15-20 anesthesia residents here over extended periods of time in the ICU and the cardiac ORs. Out of that group there's maybe a handful I would actually let anesthetize me or a family member.

Working 70 hrs a week as a resident means nothing if you're at a center where you get absolutely no autonomy because the surgeons demand attendings/fellows do everything, where you have no time to read or study, and where all those extra hours go towards relieving CRNAs in cysto or EGD. 50-60 hrs/week is plenty if you're actually at a shop that will let you fly solo as a CA-3 (or at least maximize autonomy) from induction to emergence in whipples, esophagectomies, cardiac, high risk OB/peds, cranis etc. The vast majority of my class are in fellowship and a couple are in private practice, and as far as I know not a single soul is crying 'oh woe is me I wish I had worked more hours in residency because I feel so unprepared'

You're entitled to your opinion.
I don't disagree that 70 hours a week automatically means a good program.

Last edited: