1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

opinions please...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dookbloo, Mar 30, 2004.

1. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what are your thoughts on the following questions:

15yo in the most rural area where you are a family practitioner comes to you for birth control since she has a new boyfriend and she is going to be sexually active (does not want her parents to know)what do you do? If you don't give it to her, she comes back six months later pregnant, she requests an abortion because she does not want her parents to know. what do you do?

If a 14 y/o girl came to you and said she was pregnant and wanted an abortion and said her parents would kill her if they found out, what would you do? (What if her father was the father of her baby?)

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LaurieB

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]

I'd give the 15 y/o the pills, and also warn her about the risks of sexual activity, particularly at a young age.

Pregnant children are deemed to be "emancipated" so I would agree with whatever decision the 14 y/o made and would help her seek out an abortion while maintaining confidentiality. I would also feel obliged to report the sexual abuse to child protective services.

These would be good questions for the UW bioethics discussion forum: http://eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/bioethics/topics/ . I've never posted there, but I have browsed the forum.