opinions pretty please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Ok, so I am possibly getting suspended from school for I guess maybe a semester(due to a teachers mistake). Anyways, regardless of the details, could this be the ruination of my chances to get into medical school? Assuming I am a competitive applicant with a reasonable GPA and MCAT score.

I am freaking out and all my friends tell me that everyone isn't perfect and everyone is going to make mistakes and that they(med schools) have to understand that. While I realize generally speaking this idea is true, I don't think med school admissions feel the same way, seeing as I'm sure there are plenty of flawless applicants they could choose over someone in my situation.

What's your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot of it has to do with the seriousness of the issue.
Teacher's fault in your opinion? Or really the teacher's fault?
But if it is something you can explain in your PS or extra space they provide, take the opportunity to do so.

Yes, it is very possibly the ruination of your med school dreams...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is very possibly the ruination of your med school dreams...
It might depend a little on what the suspension is for, but flip is probably right. You're in bad shape. Unless you can get it in writing that the professor/school was at fault, you're going to have a hell of a time explaining away a suspension.

If it's not your fault, then fight it so it's not on your record. Ask for a hearing through the dean's office.

Ok to help assess my situation, here's my story...

I took this 1 hour credit online Health class last Spring and failed it. Totally my fault. So I am placed on academic probation because this is a core class as I am a Health Studies(Pre-med) major and you can't fail a core class in the Health Studies department. (Does this alone dramatically decrease my chances of entry into med school?)

So I re-take this class on-campus, my teacher lost her recorded grades for several papers, so I had to return the papers for her to record them again about a week before the semesters end. Well, three days before grades are due I send her an email to ensure she has done this, I get no response and receive an F in the class.

I'm not 100% sure I am suspended just yet but if I am I will definitely contest.

So after all this, saying the adjudication is not in my favor, what do you think my chances are?

As persistent19 mentioned explaining it in the PS or extra space provided, I've heard that most med schools don't really care what your reasoning is for any imperfections even if they are entirely justifiable. Have you heard this also?

Ok to help assess my situation, here's my story...

I took this 1 hour credit online Health class last Spring and failed it. Totally my fault. So I am placed on academic probation because this is a core class as I am a Health Studies(Pre-med) major and you can't fail a core class in the Health Studies department. (Does this alone dramatically decrease my chances of entry into med school?)

So I re-take this class on-campus, my teacher lost her recorded grades for several papers, so I had to return the papers for her to record them again about a week before the semesters end. Well, three days before grades are due I send her an email to ensure she has done this, I get no response and receive an F in the class.

I'm not 100% sure I am suspended just yet but if I am I will definitely contest.

So after all this, saying the adjudication is not in my favor, what do you think my chances are?

As persistent19 mentioned explaining it in the PS or extra space provided, I've heard that most med schools don't really care what your reasoning is for any imperfections even if they are entirely justifiable. Have you heard this also?

Is this a joke? Grow a spine, march into the Dean's office with your "lost" papers in hand, and demand that this situation get rectified...if you are telling us the whole story, this is a slam dunk...something else has to be going on here.

As for the first failed class - that is a real black mark on your record. A fail is a fail, no matter if you retake and make a passing grade...

Finally, do NOT use the PS to explain your flaws and failings. Use the PS to explain your motivations to become a physician, and accentuate the positive...

Two Fs in the same course will look bad, but is not insumountable if you repeat and get an A, and then get straight As for a few years to show that isn't the real you. I would bring the problem to the head of the department immediately. Don't wait to find out you're suspended.

I disagree that schools won't care about your explanation for the problem, but what they really want to know is what you learned from it and how you grew from the experience. You are human and allowed to make mistakes. A mistake early in the college years is pretty common. A lot of SDNers have gotten past this an gone on to get accepted to med school. Some have way more Fs than you do.