Opioids and fusions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmrmd

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Animal models suggest opioids can inhibit bone fusion after spine surgery. I have a patient with multiple non-unions now, but I can't recall seeing this too often. I would think there are other reasons than opioids. Has anyone else seen failed fusion often and any idea why it occurred?

Members don't see this ad.

Smoking, osteoporosis and chronic steroid use is my experience.

Right. I would think if opioids were a major cause we would see this all the time. This lady is a non-smoker, young, and hasn't had a ton of roids.

Any other causes for non-union?

Members don't see this ad :)
Young?

Thyroid, vitamin D, or maybe protein calorie malnutrition?

My favorite risk factor for everything is "we don't promise you a rose garden," and zhit happens...

Right. I would think if opioids were a major cause we would see this all the time. This lady is a non-smoker, young, and hasn't had a ton of roids.

Any other causes for non-union?

poor surgical technique? instrumented vs. non-instrumented?

is there a pseudoarthrosis?

in young healthy patient, it probably isnt the opioids. agree with the above

I would look at the bone density and check hormone/vitamin stuff. Is she anemic? What's her hair look like? Is it a surgical technique issue?

Generally the opioid issues are a higher MMEs and with chronic exposure. There is an acute direct effect in some preclinical studies, but I haven't seen any human data to suggest that's real.

Easy read/review

Patient of mine who was previously on chronic high dose opioids. Successfully weaned himself off before coming to me.

Capture3.PNG

Reactions: 1 user