Opportunities for Canadian Medical Students in Ireland/UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbyrne2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second-year medical student at the Schulich School of Medicine at Western University in London, Ontario, Canada. I have an interest in spending some time in Ireland (or the UK) at some point during my undergraduate medical training and would like to inquire on opportunities available to students such as myself. Based on the information I have read on school websites, it is my understanding that formal electives are planned such that they occur after Canadian medical students have completed their first three years of training.

Are there any other clinical experiences that can be arranged for students such as myself? It is not terribly uncommon for international students to arrange informal 'electives' with preceptors here in Canada, but I am not sure how it works in Ireland or the UK. I spoke with two colleagues in my class who were able to arrange such experiences in Ireland last summer and they recommended that I contact physicians directly, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try to get in contact with students. I have a particular interest in Emergency Medicine.

Any advice you can provide on this is appreciated. Feel free to email me at cbyrne2014 [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks!

Chris
cleardot.gif

Members don't see this ad.