Opportunity cost of medical education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There was nothing strange about my post all.

Do you think your better than other people just because you are a resident?

:confused:

huh?

Members don't see this ad.

Let me spell it out for you as you can't seem to know how stupid your post was. I simply said that money means nothing if you are not happy and have nobody to share it with. Then you went on and stated that my post was weired. WRONG. Go out in the general public, which I assume you have never worked a real job before (I get that feeling based on your posts) and ask what people find the highest priority, money or being happy? I can assure you that people would rather have enugh money just to get by and have good relationships with others than being a millionaire and be hated by everyone and have no life outside of work.

Let me make it even more clear for you. If you have nobody to share your life with, then you have a sad life. Go ahead and make $150,000 a year. You don't have anyone in your life.

Let me spell it out for you as you can't seem to know how stupid your post was...

I think the confusion here is not the meaning of your posts, but in the argument you are making. You seem to have changed the crux of your argument from how it will be difficult for physicians with student loans to make ends meet and live comfortably to how anyone can be happy on $25,000 a year.

Then you go on to extol the virtues of family life, which, as far as I can tell, no one has argued against in this thread.

Let's take the obnoxious down two levels...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting and informative blog. I would like to see the comparison drawn out another 10 years. Med school is expensive and it may not make financial sense for a lot of people. But I would like to see the hypothetical earning potential comparison of someone who was capable of going to medical school and opted out compared to a doctor. Over the course of a lifetime, the doctor comes out way ahead when you compare job security, job satisfaction, and probably overall compensation. I personally don't think I would be capable of logging doctor hours in a profession I was only in for the money. Life is too short for that.

I think the confusion here is not the meaning of your posts, but in the argument you are making. You seem to have changed the crux of your argument from how it will be difficult for physicians with student loans to make ends meet and live comfortably to how anyone can be happy on $25,000 a year.

Then you go on to extol the virtues of family life, which, as far as I can tell, no one has argued against in this thread.

Let's take the obnoxious down two levels...

Bingo.